The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #61
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its not like Rolex has been offering a 5 year warranty for that long. AP just started too. So of course 2 years is weak by comparison, but they just might be moving slower. Ive had more issues with AP than Patek and ROO chronograph modules are a constant source of discussion regarding them breaking. There isnt the same level of re occurring threads here about predictable parts failing.
Rolex were very late to the party, but they got there. Rolex realised they needed a change and increased to 5 years, strange they lack faith in the service team though. Only 2 years on a full service, even though they have checked, cleaned, oiled and replaced any wore parts and returned "as new".

Regarding AP, I realise precision mechanical items can have issues, but at least AP and the other brands are willing to take control and put things right when things go wrong. I dont expect nothing to ever go wrong, I just dont expect to have to pay for quality control failures in the first few years. A product warranty provides piece of mind to the customer and shows the company will stand by the product. It should be at the top of the list especially if you are going to stick your neck out and start your own "seal of quality" because you feel the current seal agreed by everyone else has not gone far enough.

The limited warranty covered by the PP seal promises much but I would not expect issues in the first 2 years. IMO most movement issues are likely to occur in years 3 to 5 and Patek should cover, any time after that a service would be due and the customer should cover.

Regardless of the exellent finishing and extreme testing in the lab, the final testing should be on the wrist in the real world and 2 years is not enough especially as most buyers either rotate with a beater or only wear a Patek on special occasions.

I ask the forum not to flame me, but to me a Patek is not "just a watch". It is one of the most expensive mass produced consumer products you can buy, for me it should have a warranty to match.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM   #62
pam66
"TRF" Member

questions

i do agree with the previous. the most important questions i would ask TS are why the limited warranty and if and what he intends to do with respect the depreciation of all PP watches except the nautilus, aquanaut lines and the very very high end pieces.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #63
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sordfish View Post
They most likely want to know what you think about how they are doing. Just talk about how you feel as a customer of theirs. Without sounding like a complaint, I would make sure they know how difficult it is for the average person to buy any particular Patek watch from an AD. Sound them out about your concerns if any and offer a possible solution. I'd wonder out loud if they have considered direct marketing if they gradually cut out the middleman AD.

Make them laugh if you can and have fun.
Remember, OP was offered a free trip to Geneva to spend a few days with Patek and meet their CEO, etc. He is likely (lucky him!) as far from an average PP consumer as one can get. It would be like LeBron James meeting the mayor of Los Angeles and talking about how the buses don't run on schedule.
Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM   #64
tyler1980
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Remember, OP was offered a free trip to Geneva to spend a few days with Patek and meet their CEO, etc. He is likely (lucky him!) as far from an average PP consumer as one can get. It would be like LeBron James meeting the mayor of Los Angeles and talking about how the buses don't run on schedule.
... and someone with that kind of access benefits directly from the status quo. "average people" whatever that means is just more people competing for the same watch. Upside for them and massive downside for the person who gets invited to the manufacture if watches are allocated differently. You dont get that by being an average customer.
current collection: Patek 5990, Patek 5524G, Patek 5164A, Patek 5712/1A, Rolex GMT II 126710 BLRO, Rolex RG OF Yachtmaster 116655, Rolex Explorer II (Black) 216570, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver)
tyler1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM   #65
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I think offering a 5 year warranty would be a good move for Patek. They could even keep the 2 year warranty that transfers to the new owner if the watch is sold, but extend to 5 years for the original owner only. A non transferrable extended warranty may help combat the grey market.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #66
tyler1980
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I think offering a 5 year warranty would be a good move for Patek. They could even keep the 2 year warranty that transfers to the new owner if the watch is sold, but extend to 5 years for the original owner only. A non transferrable extended warranty may help combat the grey market.
i agree. AP had the right idea with a two step process but fell short in the extended warranty (which isnt the warranty the watch is sold with) not being restricted.
current collection: Patek 5990, Patek 5524G, Patek 5164A, Patek 5712/1A, Rolex GMT II 126710 BLRO, Rolex RG OF Yachtmaster 116655, Rolex Explorer II (Black) 216570, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver)
tyler1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM   #67
kneedeep
2018 Pledge Member

Watch: Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its not like Rolex has been offering a 5 year warranty for that long. AP just started too. So of course 2 years is weak by comparison, but they just might be moving slower. Ive had more issues with AP than Patek and ROO chronograph modules are a constant source of discussion regarding them breaking. There isnt the same level of re occurring threads here about predictable parts failing.
Good points. Being in the lead for technical and design innovation and service and warranty performance are what set true leading companies apart. If there really are less quality problems versus the near past, that would support the argument for lengthening the warranty. But only PP knows if better recent quality is perception or fact.
Old Today, 01:20 AM   #68
AK797
2018 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Good idea, the question should be put to TS along with do they have the skilled labour to implement this or will the wait lists for repairs become longer than the 5711's.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:43 AM   #69
Calatrava r
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
You won’t get any answers on production numbers, future plans etc as too commercially sensitive. I’d be interested in TS views on where the market is heading and how as an industry they face up to the challenge of smart watches.
Agree with this. Smart watches are not the modern day quartz watch crisis of the 70 and 80s where the wristwatch was still needed and relevant. Today stand alone watches are redundant. People are moving to connected devices, especially the younger crowd. In my travels I see most people no longer wearing any type of wrist watch. The watch wearers I do see are mostly wearing smart watches. It is interesting to note how many television commentators are no longer wearing watches and some are wearing smart watches. This is a real challenge to the traditional stand alone watch industry. Many higher end watch brands are jumping on board creating their own connected watches. Watch companies are not ignoring this trend from the interviews with CEOs I have followed. The old thinking that most people will have their smart watch but then move into a fine mechanical watch at some point is under review given the clear trend otherwise.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:53 AM   #70
enjoythemusic
"TRF" Member

Calatrava r, ultra super excellent post! And it is very true that mechanical watches are not needed, unlike the 1960s. Both mechanical and other only-time varients whatever tech they may be are.... Sure there's the 'odd' person who wears both a mechanical and smart watch, yet social acceptance is varied due to it not being the norm. For most people, it appears a smart watch is the choice of today's society. They are worn for everything from sports to formal wear. Added benefits of workout calc, heart/etc monitoring... There is evidence that logging data can improve your life, and perhaps lifespan, as data can then be analyzed... Do not believe any 100% mechanical watch has that ability at this time in human existance

This is not a diss for the craft of producing a true masterpiece that is a hand made item.

Btw, just seconds ago my Samsung Frontier alerted me that my wife needs to take our dog to an appt. Sure there are mechanical alarm watches, and have one, yet lets be realistic that a smart watch is far more useful and socially acceptable in 2018.

Jmho ymmv

and yes, i wear a 'watch' on each wrist for many years now. Even back when people had no idea what a smart watch was. To each their own....

-- Steven
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote