The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2018, 10:16 AM   #31
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
When engaged in Rolex purchase evaluation, the cultivation of thine OCD can be the Buyers only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever ‘just wear it’ ‘itll get more’ who stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God or Buddha himself. This truth lies at the heart of the art of Rolex ownership.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 10:20 AM   #32
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
This would bug me until I learned what the watch will look like after a few months of daily wear. Once you scratch it up a bit you’ll wonder why you even cared. Personally, I really can’t see it in your follow up pics.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 10:24 AM   #33
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
What Blemishes are acceptable when purchasing from an AD?

Thanks guys! Honestly, my GF laughed at me so hard when I tried showing her what I was looking at when I noticed it was there the day after picking it up from the AD. It was embarrassingly difficult to even point out to her which is why I let it go for almost 2 weeks now. I just brought the watch out to wear again and decided to share with you guys for your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 10:39 AM   #34
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
I picked up my ND sub about 2 weeks ago. I noticed what looks like 2 spec of dust on the inside of the lugs one day. Upon further inspection it turns out that they are actually pin marks that you would commonly see from a strap change. I haven’t changed the straps on this ND yet so it definitely came from Rolex this way. I peeled the stickers off myself

What do you guys think? Bring this up to the AD or just accept them

You can bring it back ~ but choose your battles carefully. You might win this battle, but you'll never get another call that says "We got an SS Sports unobtainable that you want. Come get it."
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 10:42 AM   #35
opaline460
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
From an AD (especially if no discount” when I pay full price I expect a PERFECT watch! Nothing less!!
And an ice cold Diet Pepsi!!
opaline460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 10:50 AM   #36
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy1966 View Post

You can bring it back ~ but choose your battles carefully. You might win this battle, but you'll never get another call that says "We got an SS Sports unobtainable that you want. Come get it."

My thoughts exactly. I’m not sure if you saw my earlier post but I purchased a BLNR that had a scratch on it and they replaced it within a week for me. I’m not trying to become a PIA

Old 15 October 2018, 11:28 AM   #37
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
Honestly, I don't even see the mark you're talking about. More than likely you hit it on something and caused whatever little ding you're referencing. I have little dings and scratches on most of my watches and have no recollection of how they occurred. I think you'd do more long-term damage by trying to convince the AD that it was like that when you left the store, especially 2 weeks later. I have a feeling they would delete your customer file once you left.

Just wear it and enjoy it...you're going to get a lot more dings and scratches as time goes on. At the end of the day, it is just a mass-produced steel watch, not some one of a kind, piece of precious metal jewelry.
bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 11:34 AM   #38
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Acceptable blemish from an AD? None. If I make the blemish then I'll live with it.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 11:47 AM   #39
Kingfish01
"TRF" Member

I’m usually ocd myself, but you’re being ridiculous. Did you plan to go back to the ad, ask them to take out a high mag loop, and point those microscopic dots out to them? And if they offer the possibility that you bumped into something? If i were the ad, I’d put your name on the “never call” list, or the “do not sell to” list. Of course, I’d tell all the employees about the ******* and have a good laugh
Kingfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 11:58 AM   #40
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish01 View Post
I’m usually ocd myself, but you’re being ridiculous. Did you plan to go back to the ad, ask them to take out a high mag loop, and point those microscopic dots out to them? And if they offer the possibility that you bumped into something? If i were the ad, I’d put your name on the “never call” list, or the “do not sell to” list. Of course, I’d tell all the employees about the ******* and have a good laugh

Lmao. Well luckily my reputation with the AD is still very much intact. Thanks for your feedback

Old 15 October 2018, 12:45 PM   #41
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It wouldn’t bother me as much if the mark was on the clasp as that will pick up marks. Where that mark is located is not a typical place you get marks from my experience. It’s really a minor mark. You obviously can’t unsee it so I would probably live with it until it’s first service and just accept that the trouble will far outweigh living with it. How is the time keeping? If that was out of spec, then that might have me taking the watch back for a exchange. If the it keeps good time then enjoy your new Rolex.
Old 15 October 2018, 01:00 PM   #42
christopheran
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO Diver
You will get much worse scratches and dings if you wear it on a daily basis... even if you’re careful. Just enjoy it, and you’ll only notice this small imperfection until you get a larger scratch/dent on the sub.
christopheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 01:59 PM   #43
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

In the 2nd set of pics it is hardly noticeable. Hard to say how they got there. Looks like it could have been from a bracelet removal, but normally a clumsy enough bracelet removal that causes those sorts of marks are far worse and normally on both sides. In this case I think I'd live with it. The watch will have desk diving marks far worse on the bracelet by now if it were mine.

OTOH... if I went to pick up a new watch at an AD and it had 'blow out' on the lugs from someone removing the bracelet I think I'd pass on that one. Exactly why I don't let the AD resize the bracelet.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 02:02 PM   #44
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Watch is definitely ruined, straight into the bin for me.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 02:06 PM   #45
milwins
Banned

Absolutely none.
milwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 02:07 PM   #46
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
OP, I am sure you are kidding.

If not, find something else to fixate on and enjoy your watch.
Cauhauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 03:03 PM   #47
HNIC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex collector
I would not worry or trouble the AD with it. Wear the watch and in no time it won’t even be noticeable. Congrats on a great piece-

HNIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 04:21 PM   #48
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
I'm of the opinion that it might have been done, unknowingly of course, by the OP....but if paid full MSRP + tax and that was indeed a factory/AD created blemish, I would not except it. For full MSRP + tax, I want a perfect example even if in the next 5 minutes, I put a ding in it. Now if the AD willing to knock some money off...
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 04:24 PM   #49
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
i think it's fine.......u'll get more scratches 'n dings in no time
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 04:51 PM   #50
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hi HR,

Had you louped it prior to purchase and found external issues then the purchase was your call.

You purchase it and found external issues later, can you really expect to have them fixed under warranty or the item replaced?

Internal issues such as on the dial would be a different matter.

E.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 05:30 PM   #51
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

Probably did that yourself without realising , Wait till you start checking for rehaut alignment , uneven lume, dial variations oh and that the date flip while instant is likely where ever they felt like setting it rather than midnight.. that's when the real stress starts...
agentsmith350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 05:38 PM   #52
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
What if the same was found on a Lange or Grand Seiko known for their immaculate finish which is one of their selling points ?
Old 15 October 2018, 06:09 PM   #53
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i can see it, but IMO its so minor and you will get a bigger scratch on the watch yourself in no time. I think perfect is an unrealistic expectation. That isnt perfect, but its not damaged either. If it was a bigger ding then i would make a big deal about it though as you are in a grey area here.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 06:19 PM   #54
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
What Blemishes are acceptable when purchasing from an AD?

Try to Stop looking for flaws. You will be disappointed both by people and watches.... Make it yours and enjoy it! Same thing happen with cars and bikes. That's my personal experience..

nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 07:25 PM   #55
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
You’ve owned it for a few weeks and worn it.
Move on I’d say. If I was the AD I wouldn’t entertain a return like this as the damage wasn’t noticed at the time and could easily have happened during wearing.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 09:25 PM   #56
rich_harris
"TRF" Member

If you had noticed it at the AD when you picked up the watch then fine, but now after you have worn it - not sure they would do anything.

I would live with it - plenty of scratches and marks to come. Just enjoy it

rich_harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 10:51 PM   #57
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
From an AD (especially if no discount” when I pay full price I expect a PERFECT watch! Nothing less!!
Exactly this.

My Submariner had some sort of foreign object sticking out from between the case and the end link when I bought it in 2013.

My DJ2 had some lint in between the crystal and the dial

My DJ41 had a dial that had an issue with the sunburst effect, which I believe is not exclusive to only my watch.

I left the first two but on the third occasion with my DJ41 - I had enough and took it straight back to the AD for a replacement.

Point I'm making, is that I don't think Rolex's QC is really that better than anyone else's. I know, they go on about made to perfection blah blah, but lets face it, it's not hard, especially at this price point - in my case, they didn't deliver on the QC front.

Yes, operationally and functionality fine.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 11:26 PM   #58
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Doesn’t our trusted sellers give you 24hours to inspect the watch sale? I go over anew watch with a magnifying light as soon as I receive the new watch. I also take a lot of macro pics the first day for insurance policy reference and they will show any issues if there was any.
Old 15 October 2018, 11:55 PM   #59
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Disclaimer, this it not directed at any one person or even this thread!!!!! I've read numerous threads about imperfections on watches here recently. This is a mass produced watch, not a Patek!!!! Tool watches especially are going to pick up more dings and scratches than a dress watch worn under a cuff. If it can only be seen with a loupe or by superman with non human eyesight forget it!! I'd hate to try and sell some of the guys here a house or a car, the salesman would be ready for the insane asylum shortly. Some of this borders on mental illness, nothing made by human hands is going to be perfect!! :).
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 11:56 PM   #60
onemany
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
Agree. If it was from bracelet removal, they’d be on the back.
When you are reinstalling the bracelet it's easy to get marks on the top of the lugs if you come in top-down.
onemany is offline   Reply With Quote