The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 July 2013, 06:01 AM   #1
00pumpkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Resale Value: AP vs. Rolex

So I've been trying to talk my wife into letting me pick up a 15400 for myself and one thing I mentioned is that they were pretty liquid. If for some reason I needed to sell it, I could do so fairly quickly. Then she started asking about values and how it holds up vs. Rolex and why I don't get another Rolex instead. I wasn't sure but I told her they were about the same, but Rolex is probably a bit easier to offload.

What do you guys think? What would be the average depreciation per year for a standard SS Rolex vs. a SS AP of similar cost? I was thinking they would both be the same at about 5% per year.

She actually would rather see me get the blue faced yachtmaster but I cant get the AP out of my head.
Old 9 July 2013, 06:12 AM   #2
texex91
"TRF" Member

Well it all depends on what you buy it for...bigger discount the better shape down the road. Yes, 15400 is a watch that is popular in the AP line, and you can flip if needed--just like a SS Rolex.

Since you already have two SS Rolex, I think the 15400 would be a perfect complement to the mix. Can dress up or down.

Be warned--once you pick-up one AP it's a slippery slope.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 06:29 AM   #3
00pumpkin
"TRF" Member

That's what I'm thinking. Lets assume I buy from a trusted seller on here and get the best price possible on the watch.
Old 9 July 2013, 06:38 AM   #4
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Buying from a trusted seller you shouldnt lose too much $$$ if you had to sell it. Also, the 15400 is pretty popular so you should be able to sell it pretty quick.

SS rolex might maintain a closer resale value vs. MSRP but buying an AP at the right discount should net you about the same loss vs. purchase price.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 06:46 AM   #5
00pumpkin
"TRF" Member

What's the average depreciation % per year?
Old 9 July 2013, 07:02 AM   #6
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Rolex keeps raising their prices so that's something you need to consider as well.

The deal is in the 'buy'

There are more rolex enthusiasts but that's mid level luxury, AP is high end.

You can't really quantify the feeling if having one on.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 07:08 AM   #7
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00pumpkin View Post
What's the average depreciation % per year?
Don't know--that depends on a lot of factors.

Bottom line, if you want one, go get it. If you are already thinking about flipping it, then I probably would just stick with a Rolex.
Old 9 July 2013, 07:21 AM   #8
00pumpkin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Don't know--that depends on a lot of factors.

Bottom line, if you want one, go get it. If you are already thinking about flipping it, then I probably would just stick with a Rolex.
I'm not thinking about flipping it, just used the value as a sales tactic

I think watches hold their value better than any "toy" I would ever want to buy.
Old 9 July 2013, 07:36 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
For the 400 best UK price is £8K, retail is close to £12K, and if I sold it I would hope to get £7K, so a percentage loss of 13% even after a great discount. Made buying one not so attractive for me and so I decided to save up more for my true love the RG 400 as I don't think I will be selling that one at all.

On a sports Rolex if I bought at a 10-15% discount I would expect a loss of 0-5% only.

However I would get the 400 over a Rolex if I wasn't planning on selling it for a while.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 07:43 AM   #10
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Well it all depends on what you buy it for...bigger discount the better shape down the road. Yes, 15400 is a watch that is popular in the AP line, and you can flip if needed--just like a SS Rolex.

Since you already have two SS Rolex, I think the 15400 would be a perfect complement to the mix. Can dress up or down.

Be warned--once you pick-up one AP it's a slippery slope.
Agreed
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 09:46 AM   #11
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Ask your wife what the depreciation is on her shoes and handbags... AP is better.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 10:02 AM   #12
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

Nevermind. I was out of context. Sorry. ; ))
jojosnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 10:08 AM   #13
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

I suggest you say that you loved the watch very much, and that you cant live without it, and that you will keep the watch forever in her memory. Watches are irrational and talking about depreciation to justify love is like selling ice to the eskimo. ; )
jojosnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 10:25 AM   #14
psv
"TRF" Member

A Rolex is easier to flip in most cases, but if you have to factor in needing the cash at some point I wouldn't bother with getting another watch. You have two great pieces, enjoy them and invest the money instead.

Often there is no such thing as just one more watch, especially if you spend time around here. Even if you get the AP, soon enough you will be wanting yet another piece ;-)
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 10:39 AM   #15
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Ask your wife what the depreciation is on her shoes and handbags... AP is better.
Whoa... Talk about a slippery slop Mike, lol. Not saying its not true, but you're def a bigger man then me for saying this!!!
Manofsteelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 10:41 AM   #16
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Have made a little money or lost very little on 90% of my Rolex's, have taken a much bigger loss on 50% of my AP's.

Only exception was the Diver which I bought at a nice discount when it just launched and later sold it for a little more money, but have I sold it today I would have taken a nice loss.
Old 9 July 2013, 10:43 AM   #17
orangedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP, Rolex
15400 is a very popular basic RO model highly in demand, hence resale should be as easy as most sports Rolex. If you are thinking of selling it at some point and don't want to incur a loss, maybe you should try to hunt sown a preowned one in excellent/mint condition at good price. At least the previous owner has taken the depreciation... There are plenty of high quality preowned pieces out there
orangedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 10:56 AM   #18
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisguy View Post
Have made a little money or lost very little on 90% of my Rolex's, have taken a much bigger loss on 50% of my AP's.
It's all about how much discount you get on the front end. I've lost plenty when not buying right on both Rolex and AP--you learn your lesson pretty quick on any brand. Has to be the right piece, popular, and get it for the right price. Buying right after a price increase not good.

Watches are not a good investment--rather it's an investment in enjoying something you really like.
Old 9 July 2013, 11:14 AM   #19
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
+1000
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 12:00 PM   #20
john11f
"TRF" Member

Watches are not a good investment--rather it's an investment in enjoying something you really like.[/QUOTE]

This is so true. I guess taking a hit is part of understanding the hobby and how you want your collection to grow. It could get really expensive (if you lose money) but priorities and parameters change that's why we flip. Most important is you enjoy!
john11f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 12:10 PM   #21
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's all about how much discount you get on the front end. I've lost plenty when not buying right on both Rolex and AP--you learn your lesson pretty quick on any brand. Has to be the right piece, popular, and get it for the right price. Buying right after a price increase not good.

Watches are not a good investment--rather it's an investment in enjoying something you really like.
I get either brand at the same discount, and will most likely lose money on AP while recovering the cost on Rolex.

No comparison here, other than Rolex only PP will hold the value (unless you have a limited or rare watch).

Not using my watches as investments, I just have a hard time hanging on to them, chronic flipper.

I was just trying to help the OP, in my experience if resalevalue is a concern Rolex is the way to go if you are buying new.
Old 9 July 2013, 12:36 PM   #22
oilman666
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by john11f View Post
This is so true. I guess taking a hit is part of understanding the hobby and how you want your collection to grow. It could get really expensive (if you lose money) but priorities and parameters change that's why we flip. Most important is you enjoy![/QUOTE]

Well it all depends. I got a vintage AP 4100YG about 12-15 yrs ago, my insurance co wanted an updated apprasial. it more than doubled in value. Now my insurance is higher. That's not to say I could sell it at that price but its probablly due to the value of gold today more than anything else.
That being said once you get the AP hook watch out... Buy what you like and tell the wife what she wants to hear... thats what I do...
Old 9 July 2013, 01:54 PM   #23
Lamkyle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Those from my wife
Quote:
Lamkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 02:39 PM   #24
Epwerkz
"TRF" Member

Quote:

hahahah thats true!! woman's has big ego for themself lol hahaha
Epwerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 03:08 PM   #25
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
AP Dealers discount more the Rolex Dealers. After the initial hit, for an extremely popular model like the 15400 I would expect depreciation to be similar to a popular sport Rolex model. That said a $10,000 watch is a more difficult sell then a $4,000 watch as the market to sell into shrinks.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 03:14 PM   #26
lorsban
"TRF" Member

When I was in the market for a 2nd hand watch, I was comparing a YM and Royal Oak 15300. I know, no contest. But, I went with the YM cause it suited me better.

Anyway, the salesman also said the YM was better because 1. The platinum and 2. Rolex retains value better. In fact, he said that if I wanted to, I could sell them back the YM for 85% value, while they will only take the RO back at 80% value.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 9 July 2013, 10:14 PM   #27
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
1. Buy the watch.

2. Buy her something nice, like a bouquet of roses and spread some rose petals on the bed.

3. Light some candles and wear it to bed.

Works every time!!! Lol
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 11:45 PM   #28
00pumpkin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
A Rolex is easier to flip in most cases, but if you have to factor in needing the cash at some point I wouldn't bother with getting another watch. You have two great pieces, enjoy them and invest the money instead.

Often there is no such thing as just one more watch, especially if you spend time around here. Even if you get the AP, soon enough you will be wanting yet another piece ;-)
I'm not worried about the cash part. I really just got myself into a discussion with her regarding the resale value of each brand because I used it as a selling point to her. She understands Rolex, just not AP.

The RO 15400 in Silver will round out my collection perfectly.
Old 9 July 2013, 11:47 PM   #29
00pumpkin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That would never work. I'm the one who convinces her to buy them.
Old 9 July 2013, 11:47 PM   #30
00pumpkin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_NYC View Post
1. Buy the watch.

2. Buy her something nice, like a bouquet of roses and spread some rose petals on the bed.

3. Light some candles and wear it to bed.

Works every time!!! Lol
Oh I plan on getting her something nice for sure!