The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 March 2019, 02:34 PM   #1
drnat2
"TRF" Member

Advice on how to get my Grail

I have been a long time loyal Rolex customer however I can't seem to get my grail...

The problem lies in the fact that all my watches have been purchased at different times from different AD's in different countries.

Im originally from South Africa but now live in Australia,

I got my first Rolex GMT master ii LN when I graduated university from my Dad, he bought the watch at an AD we had a good relationship with. (10 watches purchased over a number of years). This AD is now no longer a Rolex AD.

The second I inherited from my grandfather a day date 36 yg,

The third I purchased in Australia when I bought my first business a TT SkyD (2018).

The fourth I purchased at an AD in an airport a TT datejust 36 for my wife when my son was born.

Im after my grail which is DaytonaC white dial, but having no real long term relationship with an AD, no AD in Australia will even put you on a list. Unfortunately the grey prices aren't something I can make happen right now.

So I guess is it a lost cause for a loyal Rolex customer?
drnat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 02:47 PM   #2
marcotagudelo
"TRF" Member

Gray market my friend
Either build a relationship(buy a pm, a couple of two tone and whatever steel Rolex you can get) and only then you qualify for the privilege to purchase this watch at retail price, or just go gray and “save” a ton of cash
marcotagudelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 03:01 PM   #3
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Bundle a platona with a daytonaC. That normally works. Of course you're left with a hole i the pocket, but that would be the only way.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 09:08 PM   #4
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Forget bundling. Spare yourself buying $30-40k on jewelry or watches you don’t want and just pay the grey premium. Bundling is no guarantee anyway as it may only get you in line so you can wait for next 5 years.
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 09:12 PM   #5
peterpl
Banned

Honestly I think buying a SS Daytona for $22k USD is going to be a letdown for you.

I honestly believe its a watch that is not worth anywhere near that. Of course that's the market rate now but man I'd be upset if I paid that much for this watch. I wore one for a long period of time and it just doesnt feel like a $22k watch.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 09:32 PM   #6
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Keep trying! For such a unique choice and a rare and unusual watch it’s bound to be hard to find.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 09:37 PM   #7
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

I would not spend the premium on a DaytonaC, or any over-inflated price on hot watches including PP or AP. This may be your grail now, but in 3 months when the honeymoon phase is over, you'll be kicking yourself for overspending on just another watch.
FirstF80InSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 10:34 PM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Being a loyal Rolex customer is not saying much, most people who own a Rolex only buy Rolex, but being a loyal and known AD customer is critical. If you want a Sub you may have a chance, for a W D500 I'd say you have to go grey, maybe sell the TT Sky if it is a real grail.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 10:41 PM   #9
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
IMO staunch delayed gratification from an AD is more rewarding then over paying for instant gratification.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 10:43 PM   #10
xspect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace View Post
...This may be your grail now, but in 3 months when the honeymoon phase is over, you'll be kicking yourself for overspending on just another watch.

What he said. There are so many between watches at that price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 11:09 PM   #11
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

First, there is no list. I've had good luck by going into my local ADs and talking watches with the salespeople. Talk about what you have and why you have them and let them know your interest in the DayC. See if you can talk to a manager or the owner (if a smaller shop). Get their contact info. Email or call or stop in the store every 3-4 weeks reiterating your interest. If you're in the market for anything else (jewelry, other brand watches), buy them at that store (don't buy anything you don't want and wouldn't buy anyway). Eventually you'll get lucky and your call or email will be right after they receive one and they'll offer it to you.

Maybe it's different in Australia, but with this strategy, I've gotten black and white DayC, Blue Sky, and BLRO all within the last 18 months. The most expensive non Rolex item that I bought was a pair of earrings for my wife on our anniversary for $3500.

I agree with the previous posts that the SS Daytona is not a $20k watch. I wouldn't pay the premium.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 11:33 PM   #12
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Being a loyal Rolex customer is not saying much, most people who own a Rolex only buy Rolex, but being a loyal and known AD customer is critical. If you want a Sub you may have a chance, for a W D500 I'd say you have to go grey, maybe sell the TT Sky if it is a real grail.
White DaytonaC is very difficult to get. I agree, if it's a true grail then sell the TT SkyD and pay grey premium for it.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 11:35 PM   #13
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Anyone think the term grail is overused?
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 11:35 PM   #14
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Save your money, be patient
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 11:55 PM   #15
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
Grey market. You will probably end up spending a lot more(on stuff you don't want) to move up the the 'list'. I bought 2 watches(5205G and 5712r, both I wanted) at Tiffany's NYC but not enough to get the 5711-1A. Got it on the Grey 2 years ago for 31k. Worked out well.
The other watch I bought on the Grey was the Parmigiani Kalpa XL, too good a deal to pass up.

I have a feeling The DaytonaC white is going to continue rising. If you can swing it relatively stress free get it and enjoy the crap out of it. Delayed gratification can be more expensive and may never happen in the watch game my friend. Life is way too short...
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote