The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 2 August 2020, 05:18 PM   #1
Bruin20
"TRF" Member

Anyone own an Glashuette original?

Been looking to add a simple 3 handed to my collection and have been leaning towards something German or near the German boarder (schaffhausen)

Does anyone own a Glashuette original senator excellence? The black and white dial have caught my eye. The black is a bit more casual and I think I could dress it up or down with ease. Really interest in the level of quality you seem to get from the brand as well

Here’s the reference I’m talking about

https://monochrome-watches.com/glash...-review-price/
Bruin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 06:24 PM   #2
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
I have a few ones from Glashütte Original and I really love the brand. I haven't made a review of just the same watch you ask
about but the perpetual calendar as have the very same movement but with a few more complications.

Click here if you want to check it out

I have made some more reviews as you can find on my website if you like.

My website

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 07:31 PM   #3
Pongster
"TRF" Member

I have a senator. But an older one. Not the new excellence.

I like it. I just dont like the lack of an instantaneous date change. But good enough for practical reasons. It displays correct date by the time I wake up.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 12:12 AM   #4
Cayenne06
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Overseas DT
I have a Senator Excellence Perpetual. Rose gold with silver/white dial. Very nice piece, if I do say so. By far the most legible watch I own, and can be dressed up or down, depending on the strap.
Cayenne06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 12:23 AM   #5
themast
"TRF" Member

I own a Panomatic Lunar and I am a bit of a fan of the brand since I like the design language, the sophistication, and the price point.

You scroll this section or do a search you will find many threads on Glashutte Original. General consensus (if you allow me to summarize) is that it represents a great value (considering quality and finish), it has solid historical credentials and makes nice complications, tends to make thick watches, resale is bad (perhaps except a few references, still no Rolex).
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 06:47 AM   #6
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I own two, a senator classic chronograph and a sport model. Both are older models, but there is nothing but praise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 09:11 PM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 05:01 AM   #8
Bruin20
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
The grain on the white dial looks great! Do you find it easy to dress down or strictly formal?

Part of my interest in IWC is the newly released white dial portugieser. Looks great on the stock gator strap but could easily go on a black or brown calfskin and become a much more casual watch.

My worry with the GO white dial is that it wouldn't be as versatile as the black dial version with the breguet style numerals and lumed hands.
Old 4 August 2020, 06:29 AM   #9
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Tried on a preowned. Pics don't do it justice.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 07:23 AM   #10
Cayenne06
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Overseas DT
A picture of mine from a few months back:

AEC6299C-5F21-40A6-999C-EB8432DB0AD2.jpeg
Cayenne06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 09:58 AM   #11
Bruin20
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne06 View Post
A picture of mine from a few months back:

Attachment 1154610
If only the perpetual was in the budget. I think that's the cleanest lay out for a perpetual on the market. Not to mention that it's thinner than the IWC.
Old 4 August 2020, 10:20 PM   #12
le_baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
I own a Panomatic Lunar and I am a bit of a fan of the brand since I like the design language, the sophistication, and the price point.

You scroll this section or do a search you will find many threads on Glashutte Original. General consensus (if you allow me to summarize) is that it represents a great value (considering quality and finish), it has solid historical credentials and makes nice complications, tends to make thick watches, resale is bad (perhaps except a few references, still no Rolex).
I own a Panoreserve, which I very much like, and agree with this summary.
Old 5 August 2020, 03:08 AM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin20 View Post
The grain on the white dial looks great! Do you find it easy to dress down or strictly formal?

Part of my interest in IWC is the newly released white dial portugieser. Looks great on the stock gator strap but could easily go on a black or brown calfskin and become a much more casual watch.

My worry with the GO white dial is that it wouldn't be as versatile as the black dial version with the breguet style numerals and lumed hands.
I never think of my watches like that, I wear what I want when I want.

And yes the grain is amazing, Glashutte makes some of the best dials in the business

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 5 August 2020, 04:48 AM   #14
Bruin20
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I never think of my watches like that, I wear what I want when I want.

And yes the grain is amazing, Glashutte makes some of the best dials in the business

Is the dial a sandwich construction? it looks like the baton hour marker is sunken in.
Old 5 August 2020, 10:01 PM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is the dial a sandwich construction? it looks like the baton hour marker is sunken in.
No it is not a sandwich dial
Old 6 August 2020, 05:22 AM   #16
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

I have the Panomatic Lunar. Very happy with it.

Jocke has great pics to enable you!
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 06:51 AM   #17
Bruin20
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
I have a few ones from Glashütte Original and I really love the brand. I haven't made a review of just the same watch you ask
about but the perpetual calendar as have the very same movement but with a few more complications.

Click here if you want to check it out

I have made some more reviews as you can find on my website if you like.

My website
WOW the photos really show off the quality in GO dial and caseback side. I was debating between GO and UN for a truly manufacturer piece but it is seeming more and more like UN is a luxury manufacturer while GO is a pure watchmaker if that makes sense.
Old 6 August 2020, 09:49 AM   #18
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
WOW the photos really show off the quality in GO dial and caseback side. I was debating between GO and UN for a truly manufacturer piece but it is seeming more and more like UN is a luxury manufacturer while GO is a pure watchmaker if that makes sense.
The problem with UN is a lack of consistency at the lower entry points... The high end line, like the Freak, is awesome. Ditto for the pieces of art that come out in limited editions. However, the sporty-casual lineup of the manufacturer lacks in my opinion.
Old 6 August 2020, 12:45 PM   #19
Bruin20
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
The problem with UN is a lack of consistency at the lower entry points... The high end line, like the Freak, is awesome. Ditto for the pieces of art that come out in limited editions. However, the sporty-casual lineup of the manufacturer lacks in my opinion.
That is what I'm starting to notice too. Was very close to buying a marine torpilleur white dial a few weeks back but something stopped me dead in my tracks when I was trying it on to purchase. I like the idea of a marine chronometer style watch and think the UN 118 is a very robust and accurate movement, but when I took the elements of the watch in isolation it became less and less appealing.

The case is simple and bowl shaped but the lugs look like someone forgot about them and slapped them on at the last second.

The dial is simple and plain which I liked but it just seemed to have text on it to make sure there wasn't any empty space and the splitting on Ulysse Nardin and Le Locle Suisse looks very awkward.

Maybe I'm just too picky and that's what is leading me towards more and more simplified watches. Maybe a blank dial Moser is in my future.