The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 August 2020, 12:36 PM   #1
AbeJ
"TRF" Member

Rehaut Crown Alignment

Greetings, new member here, but I’ve been reading for quite some time now. I recently had my dial replaced due to two hour hour markers having poor lume.

I noticed that with the new dial the 12:00 tick (above inverted triangle) is slightly a hair off to the right hand side of the rehaut crown. From my brief search on the forum, it seems to have to do with the lateral adjustment when mounting the dial back onto the movement.

For comparison, I looked at a photo with the old dial prior to the repair and it was hair off to to the left side originally.

I didn’t notice at first until I set the time after service when the power reserve ran out. I always hack the second hand at the 12:00 tick (above inverted triangle) when I noticed it was a hair off towards the right, which caused me to look closer.

My question is, would you all bother having the dial alignment addressed? Or am I just being OCD? Thank you in advance.

Post Repair Alignment

Original Dial Alignment

New Dial w/ Second Hand aligned with 12:00 Tick

New Dial w/ Second Hand aligned to crown on rehaut

AbeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 12:47 PM   #2
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Welcome!

I don’t think it’s an issue but if it bothers you then you should take it back to the AD or RSC. No matter how many people tell you it’s not a big deal it’s your money and your watch. That’s a lot of money and you should be completely happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 12:51 PM   #3
BaliBryan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 RED, OP39,PAM
It wouldn’t bother me at all.
BaliBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 12:53 PM   #4
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I don't think it's a warranty issue. The assembly has small tolerances when it is set in the case. Because of this you can have small amounts where it is to the left or right of the crown. When it goes in for normal service and they reassemble the watch, it could be lined up perfectly, or on the other side of the crown.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 01:01 PM   #5
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
It's your OCD.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 01:25 PM   #6
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
To be honest with you, it would get on my nerves and if you are paying $10k on a watch it shouldnt have such a glaring flaw. Just my two cents.
Old 3 August 2020, 01:36 PM   #7
peterpl
Banned

Alot of ppl will say your over reacting and others will say it will bother them.

Its purely based on yourself. I personally would ask them to re-align it as I appreciate the finer details in my Rolex's. Others wont care.

RSC will sort this for you if you complain about it.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 01:42 PM   #8
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Enjoy wearing your Rolex.

I don't see the issue?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 01:53 PM   #9
bleighs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711 CHNR
that's strange, the crown seemed to slightly to the right before, and now slightly to the left. I would leave it though.
bleighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 02:01 PM   #10
Lamontre
"TRF" Member

from your photos, i can only tell that the post repair alignment is now better than the original one. Enjoy your watch.
Lamontre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 02:02 PM   #11
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
My Exp II is the same way. This is very common and normal by Rolex’s standards. If you browse through the watches on DavidSW you will see a spectrum of alignment in this regard. I would forget about it as it’s not noticeable unless you look for it.

Here is the cover of Rolex Magazine 8 where you can see a similar misalignment
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FDB8623B-65D3-46C9-BFEC-0598CF009649.jpeg (101.6 KB, 725 views)
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 05:41 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
It's your OCD.
Have agree today Rolex stopped making watches when they put all this Rolex branding stuff on the rehaut.From introduction, all its done as bring out a new Rolex alignment syndrome like the many other Rolex syndromes.The original posters fraction of a millimeter so called alignment will have no effect on the running and accuracy of his watch, which is the only factor for any watch to tell the time on the wrist.Now if they got rid of all this rehaut branding and the emblem on the crown, perhaps they could get rid of the alignment point Rolex syndrome.But if they did that what else would many of today Rolex owners have to moan about.The dial is attached to the movement top plate by dial feet, and yes there is a very very very very very tiny bit of lateral movement both ways for adjustment, but IMHO not worth the hassle of opening any watch.So get rid of all high magnification loupes etc, as these items can, and will be a Rolex owners worst enemy.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 06:26 PM   #13
Andad

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmars View Post
My Exp II is the same way. This is very common and normal by Rolex’s standards. If you browse through the watches on DavidSW you will see a spectrum of alignment in this regard. I would forget about it as it’s not noticeable unless you look for it.

Here is the cover of Rolex Magazine 8 where you can see a similar misalignment
Could someone please explain the misalignment to me?

Old 3 August 2020, 06:51 PM   #14
timlaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Coke 16710
it was and is now fine for me nd that would not bother me at all

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
timlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 07:22 PM   #15
Nipson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
It is the rehaut that is misaligned with the dial, not the opposite.

And it's actually not supposed to be perfectly aligned with the dial.
If you're lucky you'll get it aligned, but it is not a design requirement.
You will see MANY rolex with the crown slightly off. I got my 2 new rolex with the crown off.

Try setting your hands at 00h00, you'll see that they are aligned with the dial.
Nipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 08:08 PM   #16
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
The issue wouldn't bother me as I wouldn't get a macro lens out and look.

But, you have looked and now it bothers you and it is going to bug you until you do something about it.

Suggestion, once you have had the issue fixed, don't look at your watch through a macro lens, just use your eyes at a normal viewing distance, that way you won't see just how many defects there are, and this applies to all watches not just Rolex.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 08:17 PM   #17
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Rehaut Crown Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeJ View Post
Greetings, new member here, but I’ve been reading for quite some time now. I recently had my dial replaced due to two hour hour markers having poor lume.

I noticed that with the new dial the 12:00 tick (above inverted triangle) is slightly a hair off to the right hand side of the rehaut crown. From my brief search on the forum, it seems to have to do with the lateral adjustment when mounting the dial back onto the movement.

For comparison, I looked at a photo with the old dial prior to the repair and it was hair off to to the left side originally.

I didn’t notice at first until I set the time after service when the power reserve ran out. I always hack the second hand at the 12:00 tick (above inverted triangle) when I noticed it was a hair off towards the right, which caused me to look closer.

My question is, would you all bother having the dial alignment addressed? Or am I just being OCD? Thank you in advance.

Post Repair Alignment

Original Dial Alignment

New Dial w/ Second Hand aligned with 12:00 Tick

New Dial w/ Second Hand aligned to crown on rehaut

It would not bother me but seems it will bug you no matter what we say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have agree today Rolex stopped making watches when they put all this Rolex branding stuff on the rehaut.From introduction, all its done as bring out a new Rolex alignment syndrome like the many other Rolex syndromes.The original posters fraction of a millimeter so called alignment will have no effect on the running and accuracy of his watch, which is the only factor for any watch to tell the time on the wrist.Now if they got rid of all this rehaut branding and the emblem on the crown, perhaps they could get rid of the alignment point Rolex syndrome.But if they did that what else would many of today Rolex owners have to moan about.The dial is attached to the movement top plate by dial feet, and yes there is a very very very very very tiny bit of lateral movement both ways for adjustment, but IMHO not worth the hassle of opening any watch.So get rid of all high magnification loupes etc, as these items can, and will be a Rolex owners worst enemy.

As stated above don’t look with a loupe into your watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 08:18 PM   #18
Andad

Isn’t the tiny line under the rehaute on the Explorer explorer just a reflection?

Ok, I give up.

Send it in for a rework and then post about the before and after scratches and scuffs when you finally get it back.

Old 3 August 2020, 09:04 PM   #19
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Frankly, I don't care if it aligns. Just happy to have my watches!!! Although I must say I'm a bit concerned about how the LEC aligns to the rehaut.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 09:30 PM   #20
Spoonage

Tolerance stack up during assembly. Unavoidable. There will be some that are dead on, and there will be some that are slightly off... Unless you want to pay for precision tools / equipment, lower output, higher labor costs, etc. It's something you'll have to live with or keep sending it in to RSC until it's right (more than likely not covered under warranty since there are allowable tolerances). So to take the time, energy, money, and hassle to send it in one or multiple times to get that right is not the best way in my book. You said yourself that you only noticed it when you hacked the seconds hand to set the watch. When you wear the watch the time is running so you would never see that normally anyway.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 09:50 PM   #21
Judge
Banned

Watch: DSSD MK I
Quote:
It's your OCD.
Yup
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 10:06 PM   #22
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Ri-di-cul-ous.

Old 3 August 2020, 10:23 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sorry, I don’t see it.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 10:41 PM   #24
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
What other flaws have you noticed when looking with your loupe or magnified glass at your Rolex?
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 10:55 PM   #25
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
probably would bother me too at first but i'd eventually get used to it.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 10:56 PM   #26
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamontre View Post
from your photos, i can only tell that the post repair alignment is now better than the original one. Enjoy your watch.
I agree. And also the second one that OP shows as an example of "aligned" looks about equal to his post-repair one to me?

If it bothers you, then it can't hurt to ask about it. I do think this is typically within spec for Rolex though.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 01:35 AM   #27
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
It's your OCD.
I agree
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 01:49 AM   #28
-dustin

just noticed the crown on my ExpII is slightly off to the right. I've had this watch a couple months, and had never noticed that before.

THANKS, OP.

Not really. If I were in your shoes, I'd live with it till service time, and if it bothers you at that point, bring it up. I wouldn't send back now, as it'd only increase the chances of something really going awry.

-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 05:20 AM   #29
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
It looks like originally your alignment was off to the left side just as much actually if you must nitpick. Now it's to the right. Has to to with the process of setting in place. Both meaningless imo
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 06:13 AM   #30
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
I think everyone on this forum should post up a photo of the crown on the rehault aligned with the 12 index. I think they are mostly like yours and are all off a bit to the left or to the right. Wearing this today so attached quick photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SD43 2020.jpg (131.4 KB, 424 views)