The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 August 2020, 11:02 PM   #31
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Again, will this fall under the Rolex "not for profit" umbrella? Anyone?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 11:59 PM   #32
Freespeach
"TRF" Member

Bottom line:
Folks should buy the watch the like. The insides do not matter.

If value retention and ease of resale are of main concern... only one option: Rolex. You are buying the name which is almost like cash and easily convertible.

Rolex spends massive marketing dollars to ensure that the name is synonymous with luxury and quality.
Unless their quality falls off the cliff... it will be very hard for Tudor, Omega, or most brand to achieve the value retention and ease of sale of a Rolex.
Freespeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 12:43 AM   #33
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Would expect much like Rolex a large share of the profits go to charities and the Rolex Awards for Enterprise, but Tudor like Rolex they still got to make a company profit to stay in business..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 01:21 AM   #34
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespeach View Post
Bottom line:
Folks should buy the watch the like. The insides do not matter.
Yep, until service time !
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 01:25 AM   #35
Bruno007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB "Bluesy"
Very informative post. I wonder if their making movements for other companies will lift the value of the brand. I would think if other luxury watch brands started using Tudor movements it should reflect favorably on the brand image.
Bruno007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 02:40 AM   #36
Enyaw1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdisplay View Post
All the above is true except the last statement! Tudor is NOT Rolex. That’s a fact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh dear, someone who really wants Patek Philippe
Enyaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 02:50 AM   #37
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Rolex SA is a Swiss licensed Private Foundation. As long as they meet the charter for their Foundation they are good. Tudor and Kenissi are probably separate corporations, just like Rolex USA is.
Old 11 August 2020, 08:25 AM   #38
watchdisplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyaw1 View Post
Oh dear, someone who really wants Patek Philippe

Not sure I follow your logic?

watchdisplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 09:34 AM   #39
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
That herring ain't red anymore, thanks to Tools's perfect explanation above. Pretty sure Tudor & Breitling collaborated on the chrono movement. These kind of cross branding collaborations are [were] not unique.
d
As far as I know it is a bit different. Tudor created their MT5612 independently. Breitling created B01 independently. Then later on Breitling needed a new non chrono movement and Tudor needed a chrono movement. So they decided to make B20 based on Tudor's MT5612 for Breitling's non-chrono offerings, whereas Tudor made MT5813 based on B01 for their chronos. So to sum things up MT5612 was independently designed by Tudor and B01 was independently designed by Breitling.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 10:10 AM   #40
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
you confuse not for profit to we cant pay people who work there a lot of money. the undistributed net income just stays in the company.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 10:23 AM   #41
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
As far as I know it is a bit different. Tudor created their MT5612 independently. Breitling created B01 independently. Then later on Breitling needed a new non chrono movement and Tudor needed a chrono movement. So they decided to make B20 based on Tudor's MT5612 for Breitling's non-chrono offerings, whereas Tudor made MT5813 based on B01 for their chronos. So to sum things up MT5612 was independently designed by Tudor and B01 was independently designed by Breitling.
Thanks for the clarification.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 03:31 AM   #42
Enyaw1
Banned

Quote:
Not sure I follow your logic?

No matter what watch a person wears or prefers there is always a person with what is deemed as a better more expensive and more exclusive watch.
Like fast cars, there is always a faster one.
Old 13 August 2020, 12:48 AM   #43
watchdisplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No matter what watch a person wears or prefers there is always a person with what is deemed as a better more expensive and more exclusive watch.
Like fast cars, there is always a faster one.

The issue here is assumption of my intent! I own both Tudor and rolex and many Seiko’s even. Many people deem Tudor to be the same quality as Rolex and that just isn’t the case anymore. Excellent bang per buck and impo Tudor offers more value.

They are complete separate entities.

Old 13 August 2020, 12:58 AM   #44
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

VW isn’t a Lamborghini but if you want to say it is because it’s all under the parent VW company then it could be.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:31 AM   #45
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
Very interesting thank you!
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 02:34 AM   #46
GBD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
Based on the BBGMT date wheel issue, they're off to a bad start.

Assuming that Kenissi is doing this GMT movement, could we possibly see GMT models for other member brands in the future?
Kenissi is supplying Norqain with the GMT movement soon. I think it would benefit them to at least acknowledge that the date issue has been fixed; otherwise I'd be hesitant to buy the GMT movement in any brand.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 03:30 AM   #47
Enyaw1
Banned

Quote:
The issue here is assumption of my intent! I own both Tudor and rolex and many Seiko’s even. Many people deem Tudor to be the same quality as Rolex and that just isn’t the case anymore. Excellent bang per buck and impo Tudor offers more value.

They are complete separate entities.

So Lexus isn’t a Toyota then?
Old 13 August 2020, 04:34 AM   #48
rolexless
"TRF" Member

As an outsider is kinda funny how people at Tudor have obviously been working pretty hard on strenghtening the brand, getting it out of the shade of Rolex and making it stand on its own feet (manufacture movements, separate facilities etc.), yet people here get instantly labeled "haters" for stating the simple fact that Tudor is not Rolex.
As if it is some sort of insult, instead of recignizing that Tudor has a dignity of its own.
rolexless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 04:37 AM   #49
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
VW isn’t a Lamborghini but if you want to say it is because it’s all under the parent VW company then it could be.
This is a false analogy.

Did VW create Lamborghini and guide its development? Of course not. They bought an existing company.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 04:55 AM   #50
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexless View Post
As an outsider is kinda funny how people at Tudor have obviously been working pretty hard on strenghtening the brand, getting it out of the shade of Rolex and making it stand on its own feet (manufacture movements, separate facilities etc.), yet people here get instantly labeled "haters" for stating the simple fact that Tudor is not Rolex.
As if it is some sort of insult, instead of recignizing that Tudor has a dignity of its own.
You completely miss the point. Most here who buy Tudor is BECAUSE it's not a Rolex. Tudor offers references that Rolex doesn't or some prefer a larger size [like me]. And many like the idea if finding a reference they desire, heading to an AD, and actually getting to buy said reference.

But then the inevitable "then save up and buy a Rolex" comments start flowing. When it's been proven over & over again that many who own Tudor also already own Rolex. The brands compliment each other, as was originally intended. Sadly, too many status whores feel sullied by the riff riff and prefer no association at all.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 05:10 AM   #51
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
You completely miss the point. Most here who buy Tudor is BECAUSE it's not a Rolex. Tudor offers references that Rolex doesn't or some prefer a larger size [like me]. And many like the idea if finding a reference they desire, heading to an AD, and actually getting to buy said reference.

But then the inevitable "then save up and buy a Rolex" comments start flowing. When it's been proven over & over again that many who own Tudor also already own Rolex. The brands compliment each other, as was originally intended. Sadly, too many status whores feel sullied by the riff riff and prefer no association at all.
dP
Well said, Dan!

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 05:18 AM   #52
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Quality

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 06:54 AM   #53
77T
2024 Pledge Member

It is a good defensive move against the inevitable ETA shutoff.

I am confused about the chicken-egg discussion. I read somewhere that Kenissi made sapphire crystals previously.

Then they silently worked as a sub inside Tudor’s factory making movements. When Tudor announced its first proprietary movements at Baselworld in 2015, did they disclose whose hands really made the movement?

I understand the new building will put the Kenissi watchmakers into separate facilities (Tudor having equal footing with Breitling and Chanel having 20% stake). But Rolex is leasing the land to Kenissi. Kenissi will also actively market their movements to other small brands.

It seems brands are repeating the same error they made relying on Swatch - but now it’s Tudor/Rolex in the catbird seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 10:48 AM   #54
watchdisplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So Lexus isn’t a Toyota then?

Yeap, Lexus is made in the Toyota factory. Is Tudor made in the Rolex factory?

Old 13 August 2020, 09:48 PM   #55
Enyaw1
Banned

Quote:
Yeap, Lexus is made in the Toyota factory. Is Tudor made in the Rolex factory?

I believe up until recently Tudor/Rolex were manufactured in the same Factory, but Tudor have now moved to purpose built premises next door to Rolex
I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong
Old 13 August 2020, 10:48 PM   #56
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:

dP

Old 13 August 2020, 11:42 PM   #57
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:

dP
Absolutely! I can't say it any better than that so I won't
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 11:46 PM   #58
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

dP
Agree Dan but afraid today many look at watches through Rolex blinked glasses as many only wear the brand and not the watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 01:49 AM   #59
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I think that this thread is losing the point.

When I say that Tudor is Rolex, I'm talking about the company. Debating if a Tudor watch is a Rolex watch, or one is inferior to the other is missing that when Tudor/Kenissi build their new manufacturing facility, they are still part of the Rolex Corporation.

No different than Omega, Breguet, Glashutte Original, Longines, Tissot, and ETA being Swatches.
Old 14 August 2020, 02:13 AM   #60
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
I wonder how that will work with the Rolex non-profit umbrella; seems like it will no longer be under the umbrella.
I don't think it will have any affect in honest. The collaboration with "for profit" brands isn't so much to develop new businesses, it's a venture to bring in companies that would be affected by Swatch, so they can get ahead of the issue. Making and developing movements takes a lot of resources, much more than doing so just to sell Tudor watches is worth.
With companies like Breitling or Chanel providing funding, it cuts down on Tudors R&D costs. Breitling benefitted greatly from the chronograph they shared with Tudor.

What do these companies get, a great well produced product that may even be better than ETA and Tudor(Rolex) gets capital to develop a movement that they can then sell to its partners.
This won't affect Rolex's non profit status more than any other business venture, like Comex or Nemoto which both yielded they're own relevance Rolex.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote