The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 August 2020, 09:20 PM   #31
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
I would say all of the things you mentioned would be considered upgrades as the overall look of the watch is practically the same besides the bracelet. I don’t think anyone can tell the slightly slimmer case or the crown on the dial. Yes it has a new movement but to me it’s an upgrade as all of the Rolex lineup seems to be going to this new movement.

Would you consider the Yachtmaster 116622 40mm discontinued because it has a new movement and slightly different dial or would you consider it upgraded? Just curious. I think all SS GMTs have gone to jubilee not to make a new model but to differentiate it from the SS submariner lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you choose to disregard what has changed, and the significance of it, coming from a company that has followed an evolutionary approach to their products and models - then any discussion is moot.

Look at it this way, the BLNR is a BLRO with a different bezel color combination. The production of the 116710 was terminated.

If you believe the “overall look” is the same and ergo it’s the same watch, you’re essentially reducing the reference to a color on the bezel. Can’t say much more here.
Old 12 August 2020, 09:54 PM   #32
vitadine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygps View Post
If the 116710 BLNR reference is not being manufactured anymore, it is discontinued. It was replaced with the newer model with a slight facelift and newer moment and jubilee bracelet. However, we look at it, the 116710 BLNR has been discontinued...

Exactly, couldn’t have said it any better.
I don’t even understand how the OP could argue about this FACT.
vitadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 09:55 PM   #33
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
If you choose to disregard what has changed, and the significance of it, coming from a company that has followed an evolutionary approach to their products and models - then any discussion is moot.

Look at it this way, the BLNR is a BLRO with a different bezel color combination. The production of the 116710 was terminated.

If you believe the “overall look” is the same and ergo it’s the same watch, you’re essentially reducing the reference to a color on the bezel. Can’t say much more here.

I have a 116610 LN. It’s rumored to be upgraded to a new case with a slightly slimmer case. New movement and a crown at the 6 o’clock. Almost no one is saying they are discontinuing the submariner. They are saying the submariner is being updated with these changes. The only difference is that the bracelet isn’t being changed to a jubilee.

When I said the black and blue bezel I think it was oversimplify it. I was meaning the BLNR overall still exist. Example every 6 years or so ago car companies refresh the exterior look,interior, as well as make modifications to the engine from time to time. Just because the new BMW looks totally different than the one released 6 years prior doesn’t make it a new model. It’s still a 5 series. Just upgraded and made better with time. They don’t call it the new 5.1 series. 5.2 series and so on.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 10:00 PM   #34
teabags001
Banned

BLNR 116710 discontinued?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitadine View Post
Exactly, couldn’t have said it any better.
I don’t even understand how the OP could argue about this FACT.

My point is yes they do not make the 116710 anymore. They now make the 126710. That is FACT. My point is though it’s still a BLNR GMT Master ll. It’s still a BLNR that has been upgraded.

When you look at it as a model number than every single Rolex line has been discontinued. The BLNR is different imo because it’s the only watch that I know of that Rolex essentially retired and brought back into its catalogue.

Old 12 August 2020, 10:01 PM   #35
Be_Water
"TRF" Member

I can understand that the BLNR 116710 and 126710 seem like the same watch with a bracelet swap. It changes the look a bit (or a lot) and I suppose one could make the same argument/counter argument about the black 116520 vs 116500. Same dimensions, same bracelet, same movement, 'just' a bezel swap. But I for one tend to 'consider' the 116520 discontinued. I can't attain it anywhere except the secondary market and Rolex isn't producing any more examples.
Be_Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 10:44 PM   #36
APPRF
"TRF" Member

When Rolex stops a model like it did with the Sea Dweller for a while then it's discontinued. If Rolex stops producing a reference then it's also discontinued (and yes as you said every stopped reference is a discontinued reference). If Rolex releases a new Sub then the 116610 Sub will be a discontinued reference too. Some discontinued references or models may hold, decrease, or appreciate in value. Some discontinued references become more popular than the references they were replaced with in the future, which is normal with Rolex. I'm sure you already know this.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 11:16 PM   #37
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
One model is discontinued in order to make way for a new model, reference numbers change to reflect the new model. The old model is no longer made so it has been discontinued.

If you want to believe that the new model is simply an upgrade of an existing model then that is fine, we are all entitled to believe whatever we want to believe.

But the facts substantiate that the 116 version has been discontinued and replaced with a 126 version. Sorry.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 11:19 PM   #38
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
IMHO it was discontinued. New bracelet, new movement, different watch
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 11:22 PM   #39
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The 126710 is a new model. New case, new bracelet, new movement. Same bezel.

Rolex do not continue to make the 116710BLNR alongside the 126710BLNR. This is because the 116710 has been discontinued.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 11:22 PM   #40
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTom View Post
Yes - the lugs being 0.0001mm thinner, the new movement which you wouldn’t even know is a new movement unless you were told, and the crown at the 6 (which you also wouldn’t have noticed unless you were told) makes it a whole different watch
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 11:24 PM   #41
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

There's clearly 2 camps, and both are right.

1) The model was discontinued when the 116 was stopped.

2) A buyer can still walk in to an AD (or go on the Rolex website) and find a Rolex GMT Master 2 with blue and black bezel

It just depends how you look at it.

Simple fact is though that the GMT Master 2 BLNR still exists, despite having been "discontinued". Its all semantics really.

You might call it Schrodinger's Batman. It is both alive and dead at the same time.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 11:25 PM   #42
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
I’m afraid you are trying to talk sense to a forum of watch nerds (no offence intended). This is a losing battle
. This man gets it.

I agree with OP. Same watch to me, and too much "hype" to raise prices.
Old 12 August 2020, 11:57 PM   #43
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: PLATONA
116710BLNR IS discontinued, in the same way the 1675, 16750, 16760 and 16710 is discontinued...albeit upgraded.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

J-T-J
jamesthejeweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 12:13 AM   #44
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthejeweller View Post
116710BLNR IS discontinued, in the same way the 1675, 16750, 16760 and 16710 is discontinued...albeit upgraded.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
There you go The specific "Model #116710 BLNR" has been discontinued, replaced by the new, upgraded Model Number 126710 BLNR...what is so hard to understand??? Same is true for Day-Dates, Datejusts, Submariners, Seadwellers, Daytonas, etc.
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 12:54 AM   #45
zjd168
"TRF" Member

whatever it calls, as long as it makes you happy...
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:03 AM   #46
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

My vote is the BLNR has been “upgraded” like the DSSD. That got a new bracelet and lug change. Hence the “11” to “12” model designation. Gen 1 DSSD owners didn’t try to rename it either.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:28 AM   #47
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
the reference 116710BLNR is literally discontinued. You can 100% say, it's been discontinued. IMO the only thing about the 126710 that is an upgrade is the power reserve. Everything else is subjective aesthetics.

So yeah, it's a very similar watch, but if we're being technical, the 116710 is simply no longer made.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:36 AM   #48
imsayingthough
"TRF" Member

Look and feel is different. Two different watches. It is discontinued.
imsayingthough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:41 AM   #49
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
“What is the reasoning to say the 116710 BLNR is discontinued”

Because Rolex no longer continues to produce the reference 116710 BLNR; hence discontinued.
Rolex now produces the reference 126710 BLNR.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 02:19 AM   #50
teabags001
Banned

No one is disputing the fact they don’t make the 116710 BLNR. That’s a fact. What I’m saying as I believe the 126710 BLNR is in fact an upgrade to the 116710 BLNR not a totally new watch. Evolution of the BLNR if you will.

To me discontinued is when the Model is pulled from the catalog completely. When the model still exists in the catalog I consider them to be upgraded until they are discontinued.

Old 13 August 2020, 03:24 AM   #51
APPRF
"TRF" Member

It's an upgrade of the moment only. The rest can be called a change in design, not necessarily an upgrade.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 03:46 AM   #52
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No one is disputing the fact they don’t make the 116710 BLNR. That’s a fact. What I’m saying as I believe the 126710 BLNR is in fact an upgrade to the 116710 BLNR not a totally new watch. Evolution of the BLNR if you will.

To me discontinued is when the Model is pulled from the catalog completely. When the model still exists in the catalog I consider them to be upgraded until they are discontinued.
You're fighting a losing battle here my friend. Semantics. Technically the 116710blnr is pulled from the catalog... it's discontinued. This is largely due to the reference number and it's probably the most important consideration.

Ask Rolex this question and they will tell you it's discontinued. The prices reflects of the situation.

P.S. don't forget the spring bar situation as many do. Different spring bars/ different placement on the case.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 04:15 AM   #53
drblowfin
"TRF" Member

Right after the new BLNR released, I got an email from 2 AD’s that they had to remove me from the “list” as the model was now “Discontinued”.

drblowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 04:16 AM   #54
drblowfin
"TRF" Member

So I went grey!

drblowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 04:46 AM   #55
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A lot of people on the forums and WIS say the 116710 BLNR is discontinued. I don’t think you can say it’s been discontinued just upgraded to the 126710 BLNR with a new movement and new bracelet. What is the reasoning to say the 116710 BLNR is discontinued instead of being upgraded. To me the 116710 LN was discontinued. I’m just curious so I ask those with more knowledge then myself.

This isn’t like when they discontinued the SD4K and replaced it with the SD43. The BLNR is still a 40mm GMT with the same bezel and case (slightly slimmer lugs on the 126710) and a different bracelet and movement. It seems like people are saying the 116710 is discontinued to hype up their watch and raise the prices on the secondary market.

I own a 116710 BLNR because I got a good deal on it and I slightly prefer the look of the oyster bracelet. But I not once thought I was buying a discontinued piece. I could do a bracelet swap and have the same exact look as the newer model.

Would you say the same about the 16710 that got upgraded with ceramic bezel, new movement and bracelet/clasp? Or the SD4k That got upgraded to the SD43 ?

You got the point!....... they are all technically “upgrades” but in the rolex world and for $$$$$ reasons, they’re called discontinued! Go with the flow bro
Old 13 August 2020, 05:21 AM   #56
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
You're fighting a losing battle here my friend. Semantics. Technically the 116710blnr is pulled from the catalog... it's discontinued. This is largely due to the reference number and it's probably the most important consideration.

Ask Rolex this question and they will tell you it's discontinued. The prices reflects of the situation.

P.S. don't forget the spring bar situation as many do. Different spring bars/ different placement on the case.

You’re probably right. But I think it’s an interesting topic. And I respect the opinions of others that have more knowledge then I. I do think it’s an interesting topic as you get a lot of information. I have the 116710 BLNR so if they want to consider it discontinued that’s fine with me. I was just saying from a personal view it seems more like an upgrade to a certain model then being discontinued and being relaunched as a new model.

Old 13 August 2020, 05:26 AM   #57
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Would you say the same about the 16710 that got upgraded with ceramic bezel, new movement and bracelet/clasp? Or the SD4k That got upgraded to the SD43 ?

You got the point!....... they are all technically “upgrades” but in the rolex world and for $$$$$ reasons, they’re called discontinued! Go with the flow bro

Hey doc! I would say in the case of the SD4k. And watches like the DJll those models are discontinued as they were replaced by totally new watches with new names/specs/ dimensions in the same lineup.

I’ll take the value proposition of a discontinued model over a refresh model any day. To me though I don’t think the BLNR should be considered discontinued until it’s pulled from the catalog completely regardless of updated model numbers.
Old 13 August 2020, 09:00 AM   #58
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You’re probably right. But I think it’s an interesting topic. And I respect the opinions of others that have more knowledge then I. I do think it’s an interesting topic as you get a lot of information. I have the 116710 BLNR so if they want to consider it discontinued that’s fine with me. I was just saying from a personal view it seems more like an upgrade to a certain model then being discontinued and being relaunched as a new model.
I'm kicking myself for not getting the blnr oyster before all the hype enjoy yours!
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 09:42 AM   #59
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Yes - the lugs being 0.0001mm thinner, the new movement which you wouldn’t even know is a new movement unless you were told, and the crown at the 6 (which you also wouldn’t have noticed unless you were told) makes it a whole different watch
I concur. People keep perpetuating false information generated by Rolex marketing and language. The lugs are the exact same width, they’ve been measured here before and have shown to be the same. But of course Rolex says they reshaped and redesigned the lugs to fits the jubilee and for better polish or whatever mumbo jumbo they said, even that it was impossible to use an oyster on the new one, all hogwash.

Technically, they did rework the lugs for different spring bars but that’s about the extent of change on the case. New bracelet, new dial, new minute hand and new movement.
Rolex being the company it is, this a giant step for a new watch, the oem bracelet change alone says a lot because Rolex isn’t selling both concurrently, while the movement overhaul is significant. Common sense says it just got a new bracelet, but in reality the watch made a drastic evolution, much the same way the Deepsea did. If you’ve owned both models of said watches, the difference is noticeable.
Facts say the watch known as the 116710 BLNR was disco’d and then they show you the same watch with a different bracelet and call it 126710 BLNR....why...
Well in the Rolex world people will write books with hundreds of pages just because the dial switched FT and MTRS or because the = is spaced differently and remember when someone switched a flat 4 on a bezel to a pointy 4.....

It’s not that serious and to a non wis it’s the same watch, never discontinued but we’re wis nerds and know better, are you not a wis, because then I would be able to justify your logic op.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 10:13 AM   #60
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Different movement, justifies the “2” in my mind. Good to know it’s not the same inside.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote