The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 24 June 2020, 08:59 AM   #1
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Covid scare..

So this happened.. Father’s Day I go play golf with my son, who is 24... we had a great time (he arranged it all, to my surprise) got dinner after... All good and great.

Next day ( yesterday) he calls me and says, “Dad! (Insert curse word here), 5 of my friends I went to a party with a week ago, now have Covid”

My heart dropped, as by rule I am a hermit, but mind is racing going over my hugs, speaking, everything we did from the day before...he ran and got tested today and was negative. Kids are infallible right?

Whew.. weird times we live in
Old 24 June 2020, 09:52 AM   #2
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Someone will say your son shouldn't go to parties in 5..4..3..
Old 24 June 2020, 10:00 AM   #3
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Covid-19 is real, people are still infecting others, No one is immune, social distancing and wearing a mask when around others is reccomend.

Glad to hear he was negative but it is clear tests have false negative readings so, retest a few more time to be safe. Also, he may want to self quarantine to prevent further spread.

Strang times for sure.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 24 June 2020, 10:10 AM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Close calls are likely here to stay. Be safe tom
Old 24 June 2020, 10:12 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Glad you’re son and you are ok my friend
Old 24 June 2020, 10:34 AM   #6
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Good to hear you and your son are doing well, these are the different times we will be living in for some time unfortunately.
Old 24 June 2020, 10:51 AM   #7
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Glad he, and subsequently you are in the clear. Stay safe!

Continuing to see my 73 year old Dad is the primary reason I'm still being very cautious.
Old 24 June 2020, 01:55 PM   #8
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Covid scare..

Which test he did Tom? Read the molecular test is way more reliable than the simpler blood test, as long as it is administered properly. Would recommend you also do the testing to play safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 24 June 2020, 02:19 PM   #9
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Tom, False negatives require repeat testing for your son. He should be self quarantining at this point as should you. Be safe.

Old 24 June 2020, 02:57 PM   #10
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Know where you’re coming from. I told all my employees they were work form home as of March 16th, my family has been following all precautions and has been good for 3 months now. My wife wanted to host Father’s Day with our new backyard for her family. Her 33 year old brother went out partying as soon as the bars opened last Wednesday and unknowingly contracted Covid. Now we are all under quarantine and waiting on results.
Old 24 June 2020, 03:52 PM   #11
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
We are only safe when a vaccine is released.
Old 24 June 2020, 03:57 PM   #12
Zoomerang

Watch: 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Know where you’re coming from. I told all my employees they were work form home as of March 16th, my family has been following all precautions and has been good for 3 months now. My wife wanted to host Father’s Day with our new backyard for her family. Her 33 year old brother went out partying as soon as the bars opened last Wednesday and unknowingly contracted Covid. Now we are all under quarantine and waiting on results.
Hope all your results are negative! So many cases like this.

My mother in law has the virus but is asymptomatic with very minor effects so far. My brother in law, his wife (SIL) and 2-year old live with her. They are all getting tested tomorrow.

Sister-in-law has been visiting her mom who is recovering from cancer and hence at high-risk. She's now worried that unknowingly she might have exposed her mother to the virus. They all neglected to avoid external contact and practice isolation.
Old 24 June 2020, 04:14 PM   #13
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Someone will say your son shouldn't go to parties in 5..4..3..
we cancelled and avoided all social gatherings. even birthday of my son was only celebrated with close family only.
Old 24 June 2020, 05:06 PM   #14
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarer View Post
We are only safe when a vaccine is released.
Even if it is, at some point, it probably won't be effective against the different mutations and new strains. Historically we haven't been very successful in finding vaccines for retro viruses. There is no silver bullet (yet) I'm afraid...
Old 24 June 2020, 08:25 PM   #15
THC

Thanks all.. great advice
Old 24 June 2020, 08:46 PM   #16
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
we cancelled and avoided all social gatherings. even birthday of my son was only celebrated with close family only.
Same here Bert. I'm taking it very seriously. We cancelled a trip and a party on the wife's birthday in september. July will be the fifth consecutive month I pay the cleaning lady to stay at her home. Wife and I have been doing all the cleaning here and the place is not small. It's been 5 months I don't visit my mother. No bars, no social gatherings, no travelling etc.
Old 25 June 2020, 06:35 PM   #17
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Same here Bert. I'm taking it very seriously. We cancelled a trip and a party on the wife's birthday in september. July will be the fifth consecutive month I pay the cleaning lady to stay at her home. Wife and I have been doing all the cleaning here and the place is not small. It's been 5 months I don't visit my mother. No bars, no social gatherings, no travelling etc.
those who dont take it seriously will one way or the other regret it.
Old 25 June 2020, 08:33 PM   #18
THC

Quote:
Kids do not, that is for sure..
Old 25 June 2020, 08:36 PM   #19
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Glad to hear that all is Ok
Old 25 June 2020, 09:06 PM   #20
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Not so.

Only a very small few, relatively speaking, will regret it.

And some of those small few will also be people that took it very seriously. Nothing short of a complete and total lockdown will stop the spread. It’s simply a matter of time considering it’s not going away and it’s highly contagious.

Curious though that the previous hot spots appear to be stable or even reporting reductions. While the areas not previously “hot” are now spiking.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 25 June 2020, 10:16 PM   #21
77T

Covid scare..

Long-term behavior modification is hard to implement among all strata of a population.

Reopening here in US has implications. The young cohort of 18-30ish y.o.’s will likely continue to spike. And they might have the least serious symptoms/reaction to COVID-19.

But if one is in a high-risk profile, they are the group to avoid mingling with - loved one or not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 25 June 2020, 11:12 PM   #22
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

My wife's grandfather died of the virus and her dad was infected and was almost not going to make it, but he pulled through with lung damage though.
Old 26 June 2020, 12:44 AM   #23
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
My wife's grandfather died of the virus and her dad was infected and was almost not going to make it, but he pulled through with lung damage though.
Sad to hear that. My condolences.
Old 26 June 2020, 01:10 AM   #24
morglaw
Banned

A friend on mine was ill recently, but now fortunately is all good.
Pay attention now that you are at risk and try not to go out of the house and don't contact with other people!
Old 26 June 2020, 03:40 AM   #25
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Not so.

Only a very small few, relatively speaking, will regret it.

And some of those small few will also be people that took it very seriously. Nothing short of a complete and total lockdown will stop the spread. It’s simply a matter of time considering it’s not going away and it’s highly contagious.

Curious though that the previous hot spots appear to be stable or even reporting reductions. While the areas not previously “hot” are now spiking.
An initial thought is that when the north was colder, people stayed indoors more and it spread in the conditioned space (heated) that didn't have outside air mix.

Now the climate is warming up and outdoor activities are happening..

As for the South, the HEAT is on and people are spending more time indoors to beat the oppressive heat...in conditioned spaces without outside air mix...

The commonality seems to be time spent indoors, whether it to beat the COLD or the HEAT...vs doing more stuff in the ventilated outdoors.

This does not happen with Influenza as the heat and UV itself seem to be enough to mitigate. Covid is beastly and will just overpower that when peeps crowd up in buildings...
Old 26 June 2020, 05:21 AM   #26
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
A young lawyer I work with got it and survived, but said it was worse than the flu. It sounded brutal. Two of my wife’s cousins who are middle aged survived after being vented. Stay safe everyone.
Old 26 June 2020, 06:18 AM   #27
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
An initial thought is that when the north was colder, people stayed indoors more and it spread in the conditioned space (heated) that didn't have outside air mix.

Now the climate is warming up and outdoor activities are happening..

As for the South, the HEAT is on and people are spending more time indoors to beat the oppressive heat...in conditioned spaces without outside air mix...

The commonality seems to be time spent indoors, whether it to beat the COLD or the HEAT...vs doing more stuff in the ventilated outdoors.

This does not happen with Influenza as the heat and UV itself seem to be enough to mitigate. Covid is beastly and will just overpower that when peeps crowd up in buildings...
I have a theory...

Yet to be disproven, but time will tell. The prior hotspots were hot for months. Likely many thousands of people were exposed to it and had no idea. Anti-bodies or no, it appears possible that people built up a tolerance.

When the hot spots shut down, so did the rest of the country. But the rest of the country had less exposure. No tolerance built up. Now that it spread there, and they are all out and about they are getting hit with it.

I can tell you first hand that people in the northeast are packing beaches, homes, and there are all sorts of gatherings outside where people are super close to one another. I see hugging, kissing and hand shaking. People are also indoors as many have returned to work.

Yet the numbers continue to go down? That seems hard to explain. If the NY area explodes once again, I am wrong. If it doesn't, I don't see how I can be wrong.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 26 June 2020, 11:22 PM   #28
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I have a theory...

Yet to be disproven, but time will tell. The prior hotspots were hot for months. Likely many thousands of people were exposed to it and had no idea. Anti-bodies or no, it appears possible that people built up a tolerance.

When the hot spots shut down, so did the rest of the country. But the rest of the country had less exposure. No tolerance built up. Now that it spread there, and they are all out and about they are getting hit with it.

I can tell you first hand that people in the northeast are packing beaches, homes, and there are all sorts of gatherings outside where people are super close to one another. I see hugging, kissing and hand shaking. People are also indoors as many have returned to work.

Yet the numbers continue to go down? That seems hard to explain. If the NY area explodes once again, I am wrong. If it doesn't, I don't see how I can be wrong.
This makes sense to me.
Old 27 June 2020, 02:14 AM   #29
Trog
Banned

I don't know anyone who died from Covid. I don't even know anyone who had any symptoms.

But I do know three people who died over the last 3-months because they were too scared to go to the hospital when they should have.

The hysteria over this "pandemic" has taken more lives than the virus itself.
Old 27 June 2020, 03:59 AM   #30
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
I don't know anyone who died from Covid. I don't even know anyone who had any symptoms.

But I do know three people who died over the last 3-months because they were too scared to go to the hospital when they should have.

The hysteria over this "pandemic" has taken more lives than the virus itself.
Lucky you. I'm not so lucky, though.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
Closed Thread