The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 June 2016, 12:58 AM   #1
jdlc1406
"TRF" Member

Is there a way to check if an RSC service has ever been completed?

Is there a database, maybe by serial number to punch in that would show if a watch has been serviced? I'd assume this would only be applicable to an RSC.

Thanks!
jdlc1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2016, 01:21 AM   #2
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlc1406 View Post
Is there a database, maybe by serial number to punch in that would show if a watch has been serviced? I'd assume this would only be applicable to an RSC.

Thanks!
Rolex definitely keeps service history on all watches that go in and out. But there are a couple things to keep in mind. It's likely they won't provide that info to you unless you are the owner or with the owner. Second, I don't think there's a global data base. So if a watch was serviced in Asia they won't know about it in NY.

I could be wrong, that's the impression I've received from my experiences at RSC.
Chadridv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2016, 01:30 AM   #3
jdlc1406
"TRF" Member

Gotcha. lt would seem helpful for the secondary market and dealers if Rolex kept a database that could be verified by serial number. I suppose they do things their own way, though.

My used 2009 piece i just got hasn't lost or gained a second in three days, so I am guessing it's in good shape. :)
jdlc1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2016, 01:34 AM   #4
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlc1406 View Post
Gotcha. lt would seem helpful for the secondary market and dealers if Rolex kept a database that could be verified by serial number.
Rolex hates the secondary market/ Grey dealers and does everything it can to make it as difficult as possible for everyone involved.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
bgbg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2016, 01:54 AM   #5
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
A lot of watchmakers initial and date the inside of the caseback when they work on said watch. This may be another way to tell the last time it was serviced.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2016, 02:01 AM   #6
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Seeing that you're in Florida and not near a RSC, I doubt they would give you any info over the phone. I could be wrong.

Try calling NYC and see if they'll talk to you. Good Luck
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2016, 02:25 AM   #7
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

The best way is to have the seller provide you the paperwork and service warranty. This does a couple of things. In addition to evidencing the service, if the paperwork is in the seller's name it gives you some assurance the watch isn't stolen. And if the service is recent, you have the remainder of the warranty.
Old 14 June 2016, 04:49 AM   #8
Mfrankel2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,d-Blue, 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbg13 View Post
Rolex hates the secondary market/ Grey dealers and does everything it can to make it as difficult as possible for everyone involved.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
That may be a bit of an extreme comment. Larger Rolex AD's in major markets certainly don't appreciate that there is competition both for "like new" references as well as someone out there facilitating sellers and buyers having a closer spread on used pieces due to lower overhead and more competition(those are transactions they'd normally get to make if the secondary market was not as strong). Smaller AD's use the secondary market to move pieces necessary to maintain their status as a distributer and Rolex themselves makes the same profit on any watch that leaves their factory regardless. A marketplace that allows frequent purchasers to get more value from existing pieces and thus purchase more new pieces is actually good for Rolex & shifts profits from large AD's back to the mother ship. It's a subtle way to allow those in the know to get discounts while maintaining a no discount policy.

Given that Rolex' larger customers are those "Major Market" AD's, I would expect that they put pressure on Rolex to try to limit the third party transactions and Rolex does make strides to give the impression that they are dissuading it but as we're talking about serialized pieces, if Rolex REALLY hated the the secondary markets and, in spite of it being good for them in the long run wanted to shut it down, they certainly could do quite a bit more (not hard to track which original dealer purchased pieces sold by large re-sellers and cut them off)
Mfrankel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2016, 08:10 AM   #9
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Without a relevant warranty card, I would say the only people that would actually know is an RSC and they won't tell because it's strictly an internal data base.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2016, 08:57 AM   #10
kromdom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
A lot of watchmakers initial and date the inside of the caseback when they work on said watch. This may be another way to tell the last time it was serviced.

+100. OP, check out post #20 here: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=115539

better still, ask for the receipt and warranty card from RSC as T. Ferguson above suggested
kromdom is offline   Reply With Quote