The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 November 2017, 01:10 AM   #1
Daso
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
Giving up on Daytona 16520 so 116520

Since the $10K 16520 from last year doesn't seem to exist anymore (which is my favorite), I've decided due to budgetary reasons that I will need to stick to a 116520. Is there any preferable series for any reason or pretty much the same watch from 2000 through the introduction of the Ceramic model? Thanks.
Daso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 01:15 AM   #2
hitman23
"TRF" Member

116520 is even more overpriced than the 16520 IMO. I see ask prices from 13-16k. you may as well pay the 116500 premium and get the lastest and greatest.
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 01:16 AM   #3
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I understand your frustration. I purchased one for less than $10,000 and the prices now are just plain silly. I would say wait...there would have to be a correction coming soon. But to answer your question, I am unaware of any particular 116520 that is more desirable
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 01:19 AM   #4
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Get the watch you really want, and spend a little more if need be. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Honestly, if you don't, you're going to be spending all your time looking at your second choice and wondering why you didn't get your first choice.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 01:33 AM   #5
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
When it comes to 116520s, early versions had thinner hands, though more of a preference vs being more collectable. There seems to be a premium for the newer models that include the updated clasp.

I picked up a green tag 116520, because there really isn't anything different between it an the Daytona C outside of different Sub-Dials, slightly different dial font, and the Ceramic bezel inlay. So in my mind it wasn't quite the step up the 116520 was over the 16520 and the market will and has already started to realize this in secondary pricing. I'm honestly, surprised it took as long as it did to catch up.

All 3 stainless versions will more than likely settle very close in price. Also, you want to consider that some of the older examples may be lower priced because they overdue for service. That service costs will essentially be make them priced equal to some other examples.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 01:40 AM   #6
aquatimerfla
Banned

Daytonas are nothing more than a rip off now

speculators and speculation have made the daytona a gong show

aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 02:07 AM   #7
Daso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post

An unfortunately, it's not just Rolex's. Any decent vintage pieces that were selling for $2K a few years ago are suddenly $9K. I've wanted a Daytona for a while but kept holding off and now it seems the 16520 became the new step up "almost vintage" piece. I just prefer the brushed lugs and subdial layout. I just found a 116520 SS black dial at a more reasonable $10k price which I ma thinking of. I agree that one should buy what they want but spending another $7,000 at this point to get a Zenith doesn't make sense to me and I'm not really as interested in the white gold zenith daytonas. I agree, all in all kinda frustrating. Thanks for all input.
Old 17 November 2017, 02:15 AM   #8
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daso View Post
An unfortunately, it's not just Rolex's. Any decent vintage pieces that were selling for $2K a few years ago are suddenly $9K. I've wanted a Daytona for a while but kept holding off and now it seems the 16520 became the new step up "almost vintage" piece. I just prefer the brushed lugs and subdial layout. I just found a 116520 SS black dial at a more reasonable $10k price which I ma thinking of. I agree that one should buy what they want but spending another $7,000 at this point to get a Zenith doesn't make sense to me and I'm not really as interested in the white gold zenith daytonas. I agree, all in all kinda frustrating. Thanks for all input.
Ive seen alot of old crap being purchased because its 'vintage'.

Vintage is nothing more than a huge scam now.

Why someone wants to pay for a 5 time polished watch with zero lugs and a 'patina' dial baffles me. Not my $$$. The REAL vintage market is when watches cost 10's of thousands. Vintage market in watches under $20000 is a scam and waste of $$$.
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 02:19 AM   #9
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Ive seen alot of old crap being purchased because its 'vintage'.

Vintage is nothing more than a huge scam now.

Why someone wants to pay for a 5 time polished watch with zero lugs and a 'patina' dial baffles me. Not my $$$. The REAL vintage market is when watches cost 10's of thousands. Vintage market in watches under $20000 is a scam and waste of $$$.
Quote:

Someone is in a mood.
Old 17 November 2017, 02:21 AM   #10
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There's some legitimate reasons why Daytona pricing is where it is. Even at a premium, you won't find many other in-house, column-wheel Chronographs in this price range. That's another reason Daytona pricing is where it is.

For comparable prices, perhaps you get an Omega Speedmaster or IWC Chrono, though I wouldn't put those models in the same league as the Daytona. Not to mention those pieces lose a big chunk of value like a new car the minute you take stickers off.

You could get a waterproof chrono from JLC, but again won't hold much value relative to Rolex when you walk out the door. You could make a similar argument about Blancpain, though I'd put their Bathyscape Chrono movement a notch above sister brand Omega's.
Old 17 November 2017, 02:47 AM   #11
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Have to 100% agree! The 16520 is not even in-house. Great watch, with a Zenith movement, but the prices make no sense. In fact, you can still get a Zenith Daytona TT for about $8,000! Same exact watch with the addition of some gold. Silly
One thing I know from investing in other things....if it doesn't make sense, it will eventually change. The prices may keep going up for a while, but there is no logic to it. It isn't rare by any stretch of the imagination, nor is it horologically important.
It's just a really cool watch....the inflated secondary market is fueled by hype and people hoarding certain pieces to make them appear scarce. And the flourishing stock market helps as well.
Anyone want to buy my 1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr rookie card? Some thought it would be the next Mickey Mantle
Old 17 November 2017, 02:56 AM   #12
Daso
"TRF" Member

A lot of great opinions and ideas here. I was happy that I made the bulk of my favorit (Non Rolex) vintage purchases prior to the bump and now just watch (no pun intended) the market act silly. I do want a Daytona and just like watches I bought previously that have slowly increased in value (or not lost value) I like to buy as smart as I can. This has all lead me to ask (if allowed here) if this is a reasonably safe purchase that I will likely just enjoy for years and pass to my son, but good to know it has some stable value. I'm forgetting the 16520 and found a nice condition mid 2007 116520 with a black dial, unpolished in good condition without box or papers from a reputable local dealer with a one year warranty (Useless in my opinion) for $10,500. Is this average or decent in anyones opinion. Watch is really in very nice condition. 116520's are abit shiny for me but I've grown to like the design over bulkier ones.
Old 17 November 2017, 03:32 AM   #13
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A lot of great opinions and ideas here. I was happy that I made the bulk of my favorit (Non Rolex) vintage purchases prior to the bump and now just watch (no pun intended) the market act silly. I do want a Daytona and just like watches I bought previously that have slowly increased in value (or not lost value) I like to buy as smart as I can. This has all lead me to ask (if allowed here) if this is a reasonably safe purchase that I will likely just enjoy for years and pass to my son, but good to know it has some stable value. I'm forgetting the 16520 and found a nice condition mid 2007 116520 with a black dial, unpolished in good condition without box or papers from a reputable local dealer with a one year warranty (Useless in my opinion) for $10,500. Is this average or decent in anyones opinion. Watch is really in very nice condition. 116520's are abit shiny for me but I've grown to like the design over bulkier ones.
You'd be surprised the ceramic is fairly shiny as well and not too much different. The new sub-dials are less shiny though. Seems like a fair enough price nowadays.

Here's mine, still enjoy this one every time I put it on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9005.JPG (173.2 KB, 767 views)
Old 17 November 2017, 03:52 AM   #14
Daso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
You'd be surprised the ceramic is fairly shiny as well and not too much different. The new sub-dials are less shiny though. Seems like a fair enough price nowadays.

Here's mine, still enjoy this one every time I put it on.
Beautiful, I think the white dial takes away some of the shinyness which is why I prefer, but I might just go ahead with the black dial.
Old 17 November 2017, 04:03 AM   #15
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Beautiful, I think the white dial takes away some of the shinyness which is why I prefer, but I might just go ahead with the black dial.
Just depends on the light:

sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 04:04 AM   #16
hitman23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Have to 100% agree! The 16520 is not even in-house. Great watch, with a Zenith movement, but the prices make no sense. In fact, you can still get a Zenith Daytona TT for about $8,000! Same exact watch with the addition of some gold. Silly
One thing I know from investing in other things....if it doesn't make sense, it will eventually change. The prices may keep going up for a while, but there is no logic to it. It isn't rare by any stretch of the imagination, nor is it horologically important.
It's just a really cool watch....the inflated secondary market is fueled by hype and people hoarding certain pieces to make them appear scarce. And the flourishing stock market helps as well.
Anyone want to buy my 1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr rookie card? Some thought it would be the next Mickey Mantle

what's that Griffey card worth these days? I think my parents threw it out when they moved. I remember getting that card and the billy ripken error card on the same day.
Old 17 November 2017, 04:05 AM   #17
hitman23
"TRF" Member

10500 for an unpolished watch in good condition is probably fair value.
Old 17 November 2017, 04:06 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
There's some legitimate reasons why Daytona pricing is where it is. Even at a premium, you won't find many other in-house, column-wheel Chronographs in this price range. That's another reason Daytona pricing is where it is.

For comparable prices, perhaps you get an Omega Speedmaster or IWC Chrono, though I wouldn't put those models in the same league as the Daytona. Not to mention those pieces lose a big chunk of value like a new car the minute you take stickers off.

You could get a waterproof chrono from JLC, but again won't hold much value relative to Rolex when you walk out the door. You could make a similar argument about Blancpain, though I'd put their Bathyscape Chrono movement a notch above sister brand Omega's.
Those are some nice suggestions and I'd add the 2nd gen VCO Chrono, a whole lot of watch for a very competitive price nowadays.

Tough time to be a Rolex chrono guy so spread your wings.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 04:55 AM   #19
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
If you really want a zenith I would hold out and buy a zenith. the 16519/16518 are also an option. The dials are truly great balanced and beautiful. I think the zenith will likely be the most valuable in the future.

I could even see buying it on credit the growth will likely outpace the interest, maybe borrow against your 401k? If you just want it brushed and don't care about the dial, just get a 116520 and get it brushed.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 05:02 AM   #20
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
It's not exactly a zenith movement, something like 200 parts are different or modified, 4030 features a breguet over coil microstella escapement vs lever regulated and has been modified to be more reliable for example taking out the (at the time problematic) date and loweing the frequency.

If you are ever in the mood for an interesting search its a nice rabbit hole to explore. Apparently Rolex had a few of their own technicians at the Zenith factory and the output of the Zenith Daytona was not artificial but actually limited by the production of the 4030 movement.
Old 17 November 2017, 06:54 AM   #21
Daso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
If you really want a zenith I would hold out and buy a zenith. the 16519/16518 are also an option. The dials are truly great balanced and beautiful. I think the zenith will likely be the most valuable in the future.

I could even see buying it on credit the growth will likely outpace the interest, maybe borrow against your 401k? If you just want it brushed and don't care about the dial, just get a 116520 and get it brushed.
I was thinking about a 16519 (agree that hey are less costly), but I'm concerned about how soft gold is.
Old 17 November 2017, 08:43 AM   #22
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
In fact, you can still get a Zenith Daytona TT for about $8,000! Same exact watch with the addition of some gold. Silly
True and amazing this is possible, as 18K gold is worth more than SS. I have read about people buying TT Daytonas and doing the conversion (bezel, crown, bracelet, dial and hands) as it is cheaper than buying the SS version. I briefly had a 116520 random serial but sold it as felt was too much $$ for a steel watch
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 08:51 AM   #23
Daso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
True and amazing this is possible, as 18K gold is worth more than SS. I have read about people buying TT Daytonas and doing the conversion (bezel, crown, bracelet, dial and hands) as it is cheaper than buying the SS version. I briefly had a 116520 random serial but sold it as felt was too much $$ for a steel watch
I thought about that but I think it comes close and then you'll never have the value of the SS one as investment.
Old 17 November 2017, 09:03 AM   #24
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Giving up on Daytona 16520 so 116520

Quote:
I thought about that but I think it comes close and then you'll never have the value of the SS one as investment.

True, not worthed from the investment perspective. Some TT Daytona dials look nice so perhaps that is a cheaper option with some 18K YG as a bonus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 09:22 AM   #25
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Been saying for a while the best ‘value’ for a Daytona is the TT.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 09:52 AM   #26
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
2 4 1

I like the Daytona's but not enough to own one at any price. It's just not to my taste, I like three handers only, I never understood why the crazy prices, I know supply and demand but geez, I just bought a new sub and a '15 Milgauss for the same as a 10 yr.old Daytona, just saying..
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 09:59 AM   #27
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Abused?

I was never interested in the Daytona because I prefer the watch with date. But I would like to know what the official price of 116520 is. I know that the 16520 is worth $ 12,000.
Currently the 116610 is also overvalued due to shortage.
Do not you think they are being abused?
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 10:58 AM   #28
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Investment???
That's a whole other topic. That's what stocks and real estate are for....watches are for fun
Old 18 November 2017, 05:40 AM   #29
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventura View Post
I was never interested in the Daytona because I prefer the watch with date. But I would like to know what the official price of 116520 is. I know that the 16520 is worth $ 12,000.
Currently the 116610 is also overvalued due to shortage.
Do not you think they are being abused?
16520 is more than 12000. without box and paper from a good seller I would guess about 15.5-16.5
Old 18 November 2017, 05:41 AM   #30
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Been saying for a while the best ‘value’ for a Daytona is the TT.
I think the solid gold 16519/16518 is currently the best value.