The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 November 2017, 10:39 PM   #1
michaelp7
"TRF" Member

Must get 3940

After many many months of researching where to start my PP journey I have settled on the 3940 in white gold, with the sapphire case back.

Now the question is finding one. With a 20yr production run I thought it would be easy but I’m finding only a few advertised on Chrono, mostly with a German dial.

Turning the question over to forum land - can anyone out there help me locate one?

Thanks!

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
michaelp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 04:43 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

AFAIK most of the 3940s were made in YG and smaller numbers were produced in white metal, thus resulting in the price premium and the greater difficulty in finding one.

I am sure one of the major preowned watch store owners will be happy to find one for you if you contact them directly. They usually have a dedicated buyer who search their network of preowned watch stores around the globe to find a piece a collector may be looking for.

Beat of luck!
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 05:50 AM   #3
michaelp7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
AFAIK most of the 3940s were made in YG and smaller numbers were produced in white metal, thus resulting in the price premium and the greater difficulty in finding one.

I am sure one of the major preowned watch store owners will be happy to find one for you if you contact them directly. They usually have a dedicated buyer who search their network of preowned watch stores around the globe to find a piece a collector may be looking for.

Beat of luck!

Thanks for the advice jon

Old 17 November 2017, 03:57 PM   #4
fabio62
"TRF" Member

Patek 3940... what else...

White or rose...always a good choice....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171023_192354_806.jpg (34.6 KB, 281 views)
fabio62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 04:39 PM   #5
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Romain Gauthier
Ive been looking for one in rose gold for a while now with no luck. This by far one of the nicest QP produced. Good luck with your hunting and do share pics when you find it.
MJaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:45 AM   #6
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

I owned a 3940p for a short time.

Loved it but ultimately found it too small for me.

Personal choice. Good luck with your hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (72).JPG (120.9 KB, 221 views)
cwilson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 04:28 AM   #7
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
They are out there. Have to keep looking. Finding one with a recent service history is a big plus otherwise its 2k and off to the spa for a year.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 05:15 AM   #8
Tony64
"TRF" Member

The 3940 is an outstanding reference and my personal favorite. If you're one who appreciates classic size and proportion, then it's really the benchmark against which all other PC's are compared.

Fwiw, Micheal Safdie in NYC has one for sale now in white gold and Robert Maron out in LA has one in rose. Not inexpensive, but with these guys you know you're getting an excellent and well sorted timepiece.

Now if it's the platinum you're after, that's a bit more of a rare bird and produced in far fewer numbers, but as with most things patience is rewarded.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 05:41 AM   #9
michaelp7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
The 3940 is an outstanding reference and my personal favorite. If you're one who appreciates classic size and proportion, then it's really the benchmark against which all other PC's are compared.

Fwiw, Micheal Safdie in NYC has one for sale now in white gold and Robert Maron out in LA has one in rose. Not inexpensive, but with these guys you know you're getting an excellent and well sorted timepiece.

Now if it's the platinum you're after, that's a bit more of a rare bird and produced in far fewer numbers, but as with most things patience is rewarded.

Thanks Tony - I’ve hooked my wagon to the white gold because of the exhibition caseback, and that doesn’t seem available for the platinum version? Speaking of Platinum it looks like the one in New York is the Platinum version unless you are aware of someone other than Madison Time?

Old 18 November 2017, 06:38 AM   #10
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelp7 View Post
Thanks Tony - I’ve hooked my wagon to the white gold because of the exhibition caseback, and that doesn’t seem available for the platinum version? Speaking of Platinum it looks like the one in New York is the Platinum version unless you are aware of someone other than Madison Time?

You're correct, the 3940p was only offered with a solid caseback.

I'm pretty sure the one I saw at Madison Time is white, are you certain that it's not? It would be the best deal for a platinum 3940 I've seen in a long while.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 08:20 AM   #11
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

It's a great ref but I find the lack of a seconds hand a downside. A 5110 could also be of interest although it is not a PC.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote