The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 1 June 2017, 08:58 AM   #1
MisterClean
"TRF" Member

Hello from Texas

Howdy,

My name is Nolan and I'm 33 years old. I studied at Texas A&M (whoop!), And currently work for a chemical manufacturer. I started as a technician, and after being selected for several global startup and commissioning projects, I came home to develop myself for another career. This is why I am finally here. Long rambling story ahead:

I never really thought I would own a Rolex. I've owned several Omegas and Breitlings before, but they've always been a lower price. I always thought that Rolex was out of my reach. I had made up my mind that when I turned 30, I would buy a Speedmaster, one of my Grail watches. Well, 30 came, and I was busy on a work project in Brazil. So I didn't have the chance to buy what I wanted. But I "forgot" to stop setting aside money.

I got married to a wonderful Brazilian woman last July, and put all thoughts of watches on hold. Until now. I recently got a promotion/career path change at work, and decided it's time. I am transitioning from the field work of a technician to the automation and programming side if things. I will now be responsible for maintaining and managing the controls systems, a far cry from the days of working in the field turning valves and cursing at piping :)

I wanted something special and timeless to celebrate my success over the past few years. Something that I could pass along to my child whenever we decide to have one. Only one brand had that solid history and reliability in my mind: Rolex. So began my search for my first, what I consider, serious watch.

I've spent several weeks researching, looking at pictures, hemming and hawing, trying things on, and bugging my AD. It was a tough decision. I finally decided the watch for me is the new 1166710LN. The GMT Master II Ceramic.

I love to dive, I've dove Bali, Thailand, Brazil, Cozumel, and a few places here in Texas and the Gulf. So naturally I thought the submariner would be for me. After having it on the wrist, I decided against it. Maybe one day I'll have a ceramic no date. For now though, it just didn't scratch my itch. It's solid, and it's classic, but it is also ubiquitous. There are a million copycat, and it's the "go-to Rolex". I didn't want the "go-to Rolex". I wanted something still classic and serious, but maybe not something that's been imitated quite so much.

The GMT Master II is that watch. I did try the BLNR. In fact, I went in expecting that would be the one for me. But in the end, I couldn't do it. The blue is pretty, but something about it just doesn't do it for me. It feels too "cool" or whimsical for my tastes. I wanted a serious price, one that will serve me well as I begin my new, more professional career. The LN is perfect for that to me. Not too much if a tool watch, and not too bling to wear in the field. Plus, because I work closely with colleagues in Germany, China, and Brazil (not to mention the wife's family) I will be able to get some good use out of the GMT function.

So here I am, decision made. Doing research led me to DavidSW. He had the exact watch that I wanted, and his price was perfect. I'll make a separate thread detailing my good experience, but for now I'll say that so far, I couldn't have asked for a better seller. I expect I'll have the watch tomorrow morning, I will be sure to update with pictures then.

For now though, I look forward to spending time here and learning more about Rolex, and eventually owning a second or third one. :)
MisterClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 09:21 AM   #2
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
First, welcome to the forum. You made an excellent choice for your first Rolex.

You may want to consider buying from one of this forum's Trusted Sellers, such as DavidSW, OCRolexguy, Takuya, etc. Send them a PM to enquire about price and warranty. They are much cheaper than the Authorized Dealers, if money is a concern.

Best of luck.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 09:23 AM   #3
MisterClean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
First, welcome to the forum. You made an excellent choice for your first Rolex.

You may want to consider buying from one of this forum's Trusted Sellers, such as DavidSW, OCRolexguy, Takuya, etc. Send them a PM to enquire about price and warranty. They are much cheaper than the Authorized Dealers, if money is a concern.

Best of luck.
Thanks! I already did. I was originally going to order from Takuya AKA thanh, since he is local. But in the end, I decided buying something new was worth the extra premium to me. I talked to DavidSW last night, we worked out a great deal, I wired the money today, and I'll have my new watch tomorrow. Now the hard part: waiting.
MisterClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 09:26 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to TRF. The hunt is half the fun
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 10:16 AM   #5
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Welcome

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 01:50 PM   #6
Audemars Piguet
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Welcome
Audemars Piguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 02:05 PM   #7
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Welcome to TRF! Happy Hunting!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 04:11 PM   #8
MonBK
Banned

Welcome
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 01:14 AM   #9
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Welcome!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote