The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 June 2017, 08:32 AM   #31
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Hey Mark

I'll be giving my pick one this one as time gets closer to the date.

I am on a roll, picking the NFL Playoffs, SuperBowl, The Kentucky Derby, as well as my hometown Warriors.

Funny things are going to be happening with odds as this gets closer to the fight.

I'd stay tuned before making moves.
Old 16 June 2017, 10:12 AM   #32
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
Hey Mark

I am on a roll, picking the NFL Playoffs, SuperBowl, The Kentucky Derby, as well as my hometown Warriors.

Funny things are going to be happening with odds as this gets closer to the fight.

Please elaborate. I assume the only risk of betting now is that mayweather becomes ill or injured pre fight?

Giving your pick? What do you think the fix is in? I'm confused!
Old 16 June 2017, 10:21 AM   #33
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Tom, whatever you buy it at, that's what you get it at (odds). If the fight doesn't happen, you get refunded (no bet).

-650 isn't a bad bet, LV is sure to get a lot of action on Mays side now. I will def take it at that price, -2250, no way tho.
Old 16 June 2017, 10:26 AM   #34
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Please elaborate. I assume the only risk of betting now is that mayweather becomes ill or injured pre fight?

Giving your pick? What do you think the fix is in? I'm confused!
Spoken like someone betting on Mayweather...

The odds are going to fluctuate like crazy as early money goes back and forth, then when the real Mayweather money comes pouring in, the odds on a pick for McGregor will increase, so if you think McGregor is going to win, wait for better odds!

Yes my pick...what's so confusing about that? If it was such a "sure thing" Vegas wouldn't be taking bets on it...they didn't build this place on winners.

Crazier things have happened in the ring other than upsets! People have lost ears!

It's not going to be the cakewalk like many think...good luck
Old 16 June 2017, 10:27 AM   #35
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey Mark

Do you think that line will drop more? I'm surprised it dropped that low already... too many dreamers looking for that big payout. ESPN reported the opening line at -2500... I'm thinking, who's gonna lay 25k to win a G?
Old 16 June 2017, 10:52 AM   #36
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Mayweather vs Mcgregor finalized!

Quote:
Spoken like someone betting on Mayweather...

The odds are going to fluctuate like crazy as early money goes back and forth, then when the real Mayweather money comes pouring in, the odds on a pick for McGregor will increase, so if you think McGregor is going to win, wait for better odds!

Yes my pick...what's so confusing about that? If it was such a "sure thing" Vegas wouldn't be taking bets on it...they didn't build this place on winners.

Crazier things have happened in the ring other than upsets! People have lost ears!

It's not going to be the cakewalk like many think...good luck

https://media.giphy.com/media/a3zqvrH40Cdhu/giphy.gif

I jest my friend. We shall see
Old 16 June 2017, 11:32 AM   #37
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

I have minimal interest. These guys are very good but play different sports.
I have as much interest as watching Federer vs LeBron. Both great but I wouldn't pay the PPV dollars to see this. Yes,both combat sports,but not similar in any way.
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 12:47 PM   #38
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
I think this is going to be better than people are predicting...
I can't wait to see it
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 01:24 PM   #39
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post
I don't think Connor has the stamina to last the full fight with Mayweather. He gassed out on both of his fights with Diaz while boxing.

Being the loudmouth antagonistic showman that he is, I wouldn't be surprised if he got frustrated and tried to kick or take Mayweather down, lol.
I think that's what we're all hoping of lol!!
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 07:31 PM   #40
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
what if mayweather wins by suckerpunch???
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 07:42 PM   #41
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
It would be a lot more fun if it were a UFC match. Can't see McGregor beating Mayweather in a boxing match. Now anything goes UFC brawl a different story.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 08:11 PM   #42
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

What is Mcgregor's gameplan going to be for this one? Having logged countless hours in the fight game (I watch a lot on tv), I'd tell mac to cheat early (low blows, sneaky elbows....and some Jon Jones eyepokes lol he'll have to use the thumbs of the boxing gloves) to get Mayweather as jumpy as possible (but without getting DQ'd), and see if it'll open up some opportunities for Mac to blast him.

Would Mayweather bet all his moolah on Mac to win and then throw the fight?
coffeebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 08:12 PM   #43
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Double post.. so I'll edit...
If Mcgregor gets Edmond Tarverdyan as his boxing coach, would the odds go up or down?
coffeebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 10:16 PM   #44
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
What is Mcgregor's gameplan going to be for this one? Having logged countless hours in the fight game (I watch a lot on tv), I'd tell mac to cheat early (low blows, sneaky elbows....and some Jon Jones eyepokes lol he'll have to use the thumbs of the boxing gloves) to get Mayweather as jumpy as possible (but without getting DQ'd), and see if it'll open up some opportunities for Mac to blast him.

Would Mayweather bet all his moolah on Mac to win and then throw the fight?
If I was coaching him I'd get a 115lb champion like Rigo and hire him for sparring. His skill level is very high and his defense is unorthodox like Mayweather. He's probably also a bit quicker.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 10:46 PM   #45
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Five times Mayweather took a shot

Heres a few cheap shots he threw

He's could destroy McGregor in the early rounds if he doesn't screw around like he normally does. He'll Probably run around for 7 rounds maybe then take his head off I can't see any other outcome, you know it'll be a TKO
Old 16 June 2017, 10:48 PM   #46
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Five times Mayweather took a shot

Heres a few cheap shots he threw

He's could destroy McGregor in the early rounds if he doesn't screw around like he normally does. He'll Probably run around for 7 rounds maybe then take his head off I can't see any other outcome, you know it'll be a TKO

You are probably right. But I hope you are wrong.

All this talk though is making me really want to see this fight.

My wife asked last night if we could go...

I am pretty certain I can't afford what those tickets will be going for.

Which is good, because Vegas has always been a disaster for me.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 10:52 PM   #47
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Those tickets will sell out and then you'll see the cheap seats for 2000.00 from the scalpers Seth. It's already half sold out
Old 16 June 2017, 11:36 PM   #48
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I'm excited about the fight but cannot see Mac having much of a chance.

Most people do not know the many subtle techniques in boxing, including moving your head very slightly so a punch grazes your face as you step in and counterpunch. There are so many techniques in boxing that I do not see in MMA striking. And remember, a boxer can move in and out of range, the red zone we used to call it, with impunity because boxers do not need to worry about take-downs.

I hope Conor has some pure pro boxing coaches.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 11:46 PM   #49
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Video reportedly leaked of McGregor working on his boxing skills with a pro.
McGregor was struggling to land a single punch and was basically just throwing his left around trying to connect while the pro was dodging and landing solid shots on him.

this will not be a fun fight to watch based upon that video.
mannyv11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 12:16 AM   #50
xwalker4
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060/116500LN/PA
Let's be real here: the fight is a joke. It's an enormous payday for both fighters but there is no reason to believe that this fight will be anything but the least competitive of Floyd's career. McGregor is a great fighter but Mayweather hasn't boxed anyone with lesser skills since he was an amateur, most likely.

As much as Floyd is addicted to money, he's more addicted to his image/rep/legacy/ability to claim himself as the best ever. He wouldn't risk that for all the money in the world.

I expect a short, extremely lopsided match that is far more a spectacle than a credible event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xwalker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 01:08 AM   #51
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
It would be a lot more fun if it were a UFC match. Can't see McGregor beating Mayweather in a boxing match. Now anything goes UFC brawl a different story.
I agree, and that's where McGregor would crush Mayweather IMO
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 01:09 AM   #52
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Hey Mark

Trace, where were you when I had the Chicago Blackhawks in the first round of the playoffs
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 01:19 AM   #53
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
Video reportedly leaked of McGregor working on his boxing skills with a pro.
McGregor was struggling to land a single punch and was basically just throwing his left around trying to connect while the pro was dodging and landing solid shots on him.

this will not be a fun fight to watch based upon that video.
Here is a link to the video... doesn't look good for Connor, unless he's downplaying his skills, or, lack of.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/conor-mcgre...eather?ref=yfp
Old 17 June 2017, 01:47 PM   #54
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
Double post.. so I'll edit...
If Mcgregor gets Edmond Tarverdyan as his boxing coach, would the odds go up or down?
Ray Arcel and Eddie Futch combined couldn't help McGregor.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 05:55 PM   #55
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
It will be interesting...

But Mayweather will win. Interesting part is the spectacle. Like putting a lion up against dog.
Old 17 June 2017, 06:36 PM   #56
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Anyone who knows a thing about fighting, realizes that McGregor has the slimmest of puncher's chances and far less of a puncher's chance than Floyd's previous opponents. This is a farce and people are going to pay for it. This fight was "sold" to a public who simply doesn't know anything about blood sports in any capacity.

I heard someone say it is tantamount to a great water polo player racing against Michael Phelps. What do you think is going to happen? Floyd Mayweather is an undefeated professional fighter whose been fighting world class competition for some 15 years without a loss. These are opponents whose only discipline was boxing. They rose through the ranks, became top flight professionals and lost handily to him. McGregor spends his time kickboxing, wrestling, jiu-jitsu, catch wrestling, muay thai, movement and it's all for Mixed martial arts. Even the "boxing" stance of an MMA is different, to check leg kicks and avoid takedowns. Boxing for MMA is different. George St. Pierre is considered a great striker in MMA and is routinely outclassed by over the hill fighters in the ring as are all MMA guys when they box with professional boxers. As they should. Any professional boxer hopping into the cage is going to be embarrassed although a boxer would have more of a puncher's chance in an octagon than McGregor does as an MMA fighter entering the squared circle. In either scenario, it's not something people should pay to see nor contemplate. That said, fans shouted their ignorance from the rafters and got what they asked for. So maybe they should pay to see it. Just don't expect it to be competitive. It's a payday for both fighters and a borderline hoodwinking of the public.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 09:36 PM   #57
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Well said ^

I liken it to Sidney Crosby trying to beat Rory Mcilroy on 18 holes at carnoustie!
Old 17 June 2017, 11:37 PM   #58
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Mayweather vs Mcgregor finalized!

He looks pretty good here, Mayweather not my favorite guy but no way he looses this. No bet is good bet

Sent from my iPad while on the beach
Old 18 June 2017, 05:31 AM   #59
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
Anyone who knows a thing about fighting, realizes that McGregor has the slimmest of puncher's chances and far less of a puncher's chance than Floyd's previous opponents. This is a farce and people are going to pay for it. This fight was "sold" to a public who simply doesn't know anything about blood sports in any capacity.

I heard someone say it is tantamount to a great water polo player racing against Michael Phelps. What do you think is going to happen? Floyd Mayweather is an undefeated professional fighter whose been fighting world class competition for some 15 years without a loss. These are opponents whose only discipline was boxing. They rose through the ranks, became top flight professionals and lost handily to him. McGregor spends his time kickboxing, wrestling, jiu-jitsu, catch wrestling, muay thai, movement and it's all for Mixed martial arts. Even the "boxing" stance of an MMA is different, to check leg kicks and avoid takedowns. Boxing for MMA is different. George St. Pierre is considered a great striker in MMA and is routinely outclassed by over the hill fighters in the ring as are all MMA guys when they box with professional boxers. As they should. Any professional boxer hopping into the cage is going to be embarrassed although a boxer would have more of a puncher's chance in an octagon than McGregor does as an MMA fighter entering the squared circle. In either scenario, it's not something people should pay to see nor contemplate. That said, fans shouted their ignorance from the rafters and got what they asked for. So maybe they should pay to see it. Just don't expect it to be competitive. It's a payday for both fighters and a borderline hoodwinking of the public.
Well that's an interesting point of view.

And I agree.. but sincerely hope that Mac's hunger will set him apart. He has tremendous pride and to take a loss in front of the world would be tremendously humiliating.

Hope that with his skill and age, perhaps the unthinkable might be reality.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 06:05 AM   #60
xwalker4
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060/116500LN/PA
He's already suffered 3 defeats in MMA. And while it's true that he is younger, the skills you reference are exactly the reason this is such a mismatch. His boxing skills are the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xwalker4 is offline   Reply With Quote