The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 June 2017, 04:34 AM   #1
BristolCavendish
Banned

A Creepy Discovery

A guy at work bought his first house about a year and a half ago. It was built around the early 1920s and while not necessarily a 'fixer-upper', being only a 2BR/1B dwelling he is planning on adding some rooms being that there is adequate yard space for a remodeling. His family/household currently consists of himself, his wife and their two young boys aged 5 and 7 who currently share a bedroom.

That said, one afternoon the seven-year old discovered that inside his bedroom closet was a 'lift-off' section of hardwood flooring and being naturally curious, he raised it to see if there was anything down below. What he uncovered were two bronze-like 'cubes' with screw-top lids. Now in the mind of a youngster that age, he probably figured that he had found some sort of 'secret treasure' so he opened up both containers and poured the contents onto the bedroom carpeting. About a half-hour later, his mother discovered the boy sifting through the ashes and totally freaked out.

A number of subsequent problems and issues arose, most notably what to do with the contents. Turns out that in cases such as this (unidentified remains), they are supposed to be turned over to the county coroner's office for identification. So the mother vacuumed up all the ashes which were now mixed and waited for a representative from the coroner's office to come pick them up. In addition, a brief departmental inspection of the premises/discovery site was conducted in order to complete their report.

Though she used a Dyson (which is a pretty good vacuum cleaner), the representative from the coroner's office advised her that there would still be some residue remaining in the carpeting. So now they have to replace the entire wall-to-wall carpeting in the house being that the matching rug color/material was originally purchased as a 'close-out' and is no longer available. My suggestion was to forego the new carpeting and refurbish the oak hardwood floors but the couple prefers the warmth and damping nature of carpeting.

In retrospect, you can't really blame the kid for his natural curiosity and while the discovery led to some additional household expenditures as well as death-related protocols, I found this account somewhat amusing in addition to being somewhat creepy. I'm just glad/fortunate that something like this didn't occur at my house.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 04:36 AM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Steam cleaner. Gets cow manure out, should work fine on ashes.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 05:51 AM   #3
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
That is pretty bizarre!

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 05:52 AM   #4
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
That brain of yours is always spinning and concocting.....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 06:04 AM   #5
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Willie Nelson moments...
Old 22 June 2017, 06:30 AM   #6
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Willie Nelson moments...
The dynamic duo of TRF skeptics. As I mentioned to you once before Abdullah. I don't make this stuff up. I just report it.

What that kid discovered is no different than someone finding a can of old coins beneath a house or pet remains buried in the backyard.

Apparently someone placed them there and then passed on themselves leaving no detailed instructions as to their final resting place.

Last year a child's casket from the 1850's was unearthed in SF during a home remodeling. The authorities were actually able to ID the remains and they were transferred to a cemetery in Colma.
Old 22 June 2017, 06:32 AM   #7
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I like to visit my fathers grave whenever I can, he is buried in the Midwest. Some people may think it Macabre, but I talk to him, ask his advice, share things with him; we didn't have the greatest relationship when he was alive, maybe this is a way of trying to mend things. Anyway think of me what you will but I do enjoy the visit and wish I could do it more often. HOWEVER, keeping grandpa and grandma under the floorboards is a little TOO close!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 06:37 AM   #8
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Watch: me sell games
You always seem to have some relatively odd things to say. Always in extensive detail.
Please tell me a story about watching paint dry but please add those important details to keep me reading.

When I was a boy my parents moved into a very old house that was in disarray.
After cleaning it up and remodeling almost everything my father did find 3 gold (plated) 35mm wrist watches along with some antique silverware in a wall.
An Omega Seamaster which i still own and had serviced and 2 Bulova manual winds which each of my brothers now own. That's better than someones or somethings ashes i think.
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 06:41 AM   #9
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITEVIDEOGAMES View Post
You always seem to have some relatively odd things to say. Always in extensive detail.
Please tell me a story about watching paint dry but please add those important details to keep me reading.

When I was a boy my parents moved into a very old house that was in disarray.
After cleaning it up and remodeling almost everything my father did find 3 gold (plated) 35mm wrist watches along with some antique silverware in a wall.
An Omega Seamaster which i still own and had serviced and 2 Bulova manual winds which each of my brothers now own. That's better than someones or somethings ashes i think.
Do you really read them?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 06:44 AM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

I don't see the problem? It's just ash, 'human' ash or not...
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 06:56 AM   #11
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I like to visit my fathers grave whenever I can, he is buried in the Midwest. Some people may think it Macabre, but I talk to him, ask his advice, share things with him; we didn't have the greatest relationship when he was alive, maybe this is a way of trying to mend things. Anyway think of me what you will but I do enjoy the visit and wish I could do it more often. HOWEVER, keeping grandpa and grandma under the floorboards is a little TOO close!

What area of the Midwest? I run over a lot of dirt here in my work travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 06:58 AM   #12
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
And once they have hardwood floors redone a dustpan and a swifter pad will clean up any additional human cremains that are found!!! Bonus!!

I am just happy that if they can be identified that a family will again be reunited with their loved ones remains and can do as they see fit with them.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 07:00 AM   #13
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Watch: me sell games
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Do you really read them?

LoL i guess i am the only one
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 07:47 AM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
you all realize he's just Verbal Kent'n us, right? ever since the guidance counsellor thread and his response to it, i'm kinda thinking we're a proving ground for a blog or pilot episode somewhere....

"Who is Keyser Soze? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone."
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 07:53 AM   #15
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

keeping them coming Bristol... I love your posts!!
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 08:02 AM   #16
Dyim
"TRF" Member

It's organic and non-genetically modified. It's all good.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 08:09 AM   #17
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
The dynamic duo of TRF skeptics. As I mentioned to you once before Abdullah. I don't make this stuff up. I just report it.

What that kid discovered is no different than someone finding a can of old coins beneath a house or pet remains buried in the backyard.

Apparently someone placed them there and then passed on themselves leaving no detailed instructions as to their final resting place.

Last year a child's casket from the 1850's was unearthed in SF during a home remodeling. The authorities were actually able to ID the remains and they were transferred to a cemetery in Colma.
You just report it as if it was really your coworker, and not some story you lifted off the internet and polished up for shock value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
you all realize he's just Verbal Kent'n us, right? ever since the guidance counsellor thread and his response to it, i'm kinda thinking we're a proving ground for a blog or pilot episode somewhere....
x2
Old 22 June 2017, 08:14 AM   #18
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
I have a human skull cap and articulated foot that are old medical specimens on my nightstand. Some ashes wouldn't phase me much less merit a call to the coroner's office
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 08:22 AM   #19
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
You just report it as if it was really your coworker, and not some story you lifted off the internet and polished up for shock value.
Appreciate your vote of confidence Abdullah. You remind me of a former college professor who always seemed to doubt the work of his students (including mine). He was a sour old guy who always had some sort of bone to pick.
Old 22 June 2017, 08:41 AM   #20
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Appreciate your vote of confidence Abdullah. You remind me of a former college professor who always seemed to doubt the work of his students (including mine). He was a sour old guy who always had some sort of bone to pick.
ANOTHER anecdote. You've always got a story.
Old 22 June 2017, 08:42 AM   #21
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
What area of the Midwest? I run over a lot of dirt here in my work travels.

Michigan, Woodlawn cemetery on seven mile and Woodward. If you are in the neighborhood, it's section 28-a. I am sure Dad would love to have the company.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 08:52 AM   #22
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
My opinion is that the representative from the coroner's office had a relative who was in the carpet business.
hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 10:23 AM   #23
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Your threads are weird but you handle the intense criticism pretty well.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 10:41 AM   #24
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
ANOTHER anecdote. You've always got a story.
Geeze. My last post would hardly qualify as an anecdote (or even a story) as it lacks detail, something that ELITEVIDEOGAMES was very clear in pointing out.

Until you come to the realization/acceptance that everyday life includes a certain number of ironies and bizarre occurrences, you will always be amongst the 'uptight'. No need to turn to a 'Willie' (as you have sardonically referred to a number of times). Just have another glass of 'Champaign' (sic).

As John Lennon once wrote, "Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about". With that in mind, let's just enjoy each other's cyber-company and entertain ourselves with the various threads that emerge from time to time.
Old 22 June 2017, 10:56 AM   #25
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Geeze. My last post would hardly qualify as an anecdote (or even a story) as it lacks detail, something that ELITEVIDEOGAMES was very clear in pointing out.

Until you come to the realization (and/or conclusion) that everyday life includes a certain number of ironies and bizarre occurrences, you will always be amongst the 'uptight'. No need to turn to a 'Willie' (as you have sardonically referred to a number of times). Just have another glass of 'Champaign' (sic).

As John Lennon once wrote, "Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about". With that in mind, let's just enjoy each other's cyber-company and entertain ourselves with the various threads that emerge from time to time.
You have more bizarre occurrences than the twilight zone.
Old 22 June 2017, 11:06 AM   #26
Knappo 1307

Quote:

Ok, I'll say it, you're a liar. Plan and simple. Always a co-worker? :chuc kle:: chuckle:
Old 22 June 2017, 11:24 AM   #27
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Ok, I'll say it, you're a liar. Plan and simple. Always a co worker? :chuc kle:: chuckle:
Various interactions with co-workers, relatives and neighbors have spawned some of these OP topics Jason. To pop online and blatantly call someone a liar is a bit harsh but I will consider the source as you have every right to question and/or doubt what you perceive online during the course of your everyday life.

A humorless, material-oriented lifestyle is a sad one indeed and here's hoping that you do not fall into that category as everyone here wishes you the best in each and every one of your endeavors. And that's no lie or embellishment.
Old 22 June 2017, 11:29 AM   #28
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I gave up believing Bristol's fiction-presented-as-fact long ago, sometime around the breast-feeding Rolex-wearer in the bar anecdote. (I kid you not). https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=506533
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 11:35 AM   #29
Knappo 1307

Quote:
Various interactions with co-workers, relatives and neighbors have spawned some of these OP topics Jason. To pop online and blatantly call someone a liar is a bit harsh but I will consider the source as you have every right to question and/or doubt what you perceive online during the course of your everyday life.

A humorless, material-oriented lifestyle is a sad one indeed and here's hoping that you do not fall into that category as everyone here wishes you the best in each and every one of your endeavors. And that's no lie or embellishment.
Still a liar, but I love your avatar....
Old 22 June 2017, 11:38 AM   #30
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I gave up believing Bristol's fiction-presented-as-fact long ago, sometime around the breast-feeding Rolex-wearer in the bar anecdote. (I kid you not). https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=506533
Brilliant

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote