The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 July 2023, 05:52 AM   #1
Edfrozen
"TRF" Member

Rolex front loading Gold watches

3 Rolex dealers have told me that Rolex is front loading their precious metal watches. They ( precious metal ) will not be available at the end of the year .
Why they are doing this? I have no idea. That is why we're seeing them at dealers and the prices have softened
Edfrozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 05:58 AM   #2
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Anecdotally references seem to come in batches, may be a bunch of PMs just got completed and shipped. I last spoke with my SA a couple of weeks ago and it was business as usual.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 06:27 AM   #3
puma1552
"TRF" Member

If there's any truth to it, it could be related to precious metal mining seasons or maybe more specifically, annual/cyclical lead time between mining/processing? But then I would expect this to occur annually.
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 07:09 AM   #4
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
If there's any truth to it, it could be related to precious metal mining seasons or maybe more specifically, annual/cyclical lead time between mining/processing? But then I would expect this to occur annually.
Highly doubtful. Gold in particular is not very scarce - Rolex can buy all they need without requiring fresh mining.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 07:11 AM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
With Rolex it seems nobody but Rolex knows what is going on regarding supply.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 07:13 AM   #6
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Rolex front loading Gold watches

Maybe but I doubt it.

Just another my AD said.

Quite a few TRFers were adamant their AD let them in on a secret that Rolex had paused BLRO production due to QC issues yet we still see those incomings…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 07:19 AM   #7
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Maybe but I doubt it.

Just another my AD said.

Quite a few TRFers were adamant their AD let them in on a secret that Rolex had paused BLRO production due to QC issues yet we still see those incomings…..

I know what you mean but it can also be that certain AD’s have more ‘in the back’ than we know and that those incomings were produced earlier. I also see incomings of discontinued models after 6 months.

I think we can safely conclude that the rolex/patek/ap watch market is highly manipulated by manufacturers and/or AD. We hear what they want us to hear. Nothing more and nothing less.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 08:16 AM   #8
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1982 View Post
I know what you mean but it can also be that certain AD’s have more ‘in the back’ than we know and that those incomings were produced earlier. I also see incomings of discontinued models after 6 months.

I think we can safely conclude that the rolex/patek/ap watch market is highly manipulated by manufacturers and/or AD. We hear what they want us to hear. Nothing more and nothing less.

Fair point

I stopped by my AD last week and they had just added a steel BLRO to their exhibition case. I mentioned to my SA that i didn’t recall seeing a steel Pepsi as an exhibition in awhile and he said they got it in last weeks shipment. But yes, we can also file that under “my AD said.”

At the end of the day, who knows anything….

Old 20 July 2023, 08:25 AM   #9
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Fair point

I stopped by my AD last week and they had just added a steel BLRO to their exhibition case. I mentioned to my SA that i didn’t recall seeing a steel Pepsi as an exhibition in awhile and he said they got it in last weeks shipment. But yes, we can also file that under “my AD said.”

At the end of the day, who knows anything….

I don’t want to sound to cynical but AD’s have nothing to gain from telling everything. They only have one goal, sell as much product as they can. And the watch hype have helped them sell a lot more high margin stuff so they really want to keep the hype alive as long as they can.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 20 July 2023, 08:27 AM   #10
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1982 View Post
I don’t want to sound to cynical but AD’s have nothing to gain from telling everything. They only have one goal, sell as much product as they can. And the watch hype have helped them sell a lot more high margin stuff so they really want to keep the hype alive as long as they can.

We are on the same page.

Old 20 July 2023, 08:30 AM   #11
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
We are on the same page.

Old 20 July 2023, 08:47 AM   #12
Za1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe but I doubt it.

Just another my AD said.

Was at my AD yesterday and he definitely confirmed there were issues with the BLRO bezel production, not halted but slowed. Fwiw he was just back from a Rolex training.

Za1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 09:34 AM   #13
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Was passing by Mayors in local mall and decided to pop in the boutique part of the store just for the heck of it and when I asked if anything was for sale I was fully expecting a No or some Ladies DJs at best.

To the point of this thread they had 1 40mm platinum day date diamond bezel and silver dial, 1- 36 white gold DD with blue diamond dial and diamond bezel and 1-36mm rose gold DD with champagne diamond dial and bezel.

The platinum DD was most surprising to see sitting in case for sale. So maybe the rumor is somewhat true or just coincidental?

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 10:02 AM   #14
sevykor
"TRF" Member

Maybe more profit on the PMs. In a relatively hot market, it’s what I would want to push as a retailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sevykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 10:23 AM   #15
dannyp
Banned

You have to think about what was going on when Rolex was doing its annual planning. If a recession was anticipated during H2 23, then it would make sense to try and move the PM inventory before an anticipated crash. I’m guessing Rolex works with some very talented economists in developing those plans, so maybe they know something we don’t…
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 10:42 AM   #16
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
You have to think about what was going on when Rolex was doing its annual planning. If a recession was anticipated during H2 23, then it would make sense to try and move the PM inventory before an anticipated crash. I’m guessing Rolex works with some very talented economists in developing those plans, so maybe they know something we don’t…
Agreed. In addition, they probably have a team of analysts looking at things like the FX Variance between nations and also distributing stock accordingly to maximise sales. For example in Japan, I have yet to see a single AD with ANYTHING in stock, despite many TRF'ers spotting Daydates or PM Skydwellers on display sometimes or in the back. In Japan, we have ZERO. Then I compared the MSRP of Japan and countries like the US/UK and noticed that the price differential was HUGE. A Yachtmaster RG on oysterflex for example was a whopping 30% price differential between japan and many other countries. This lead me to conclude that if I were the head of Rolex, why would I send inventory to japan and essentially sell at 30% discount?
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 10:44 AM   #17
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
You lost me after those famous three words.. “My AD said”
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 11:23 AM   #18
omar10213245
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulkerino
i'll take all that with a grain of salt, but if there is truth to it, that's kind of a bummer to me, as i'm hoping to maybe luck out and get a 116515ln rose gold daytona (sun dust dial) on oysterflex from my AD either in November or December.
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 12:43 PM   #19
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Agreed. In addition, they probably have a team of analysts looking at things like the FX Variance between nations and also distributing stock accordingly to maximise sales. For example in Japan, I have yet to see a single AD with ANYTHING in stock, despite many TRF'ers spotting Daydates or PM Skydwellers on display sometimes or in the back. In Japan, we have ZERO. Then I compared the MSRP of Japan and countries like the US/UK and noticed that the price differential was HUGE. A Yachtmaster RG on oysterflex for example was a whopping 30% price differential between japan and many other countries. This lead me to conclude that if I were the head of Rolex, why would I send inventory to japan and essentially sell at 30% discount?

Ha. Makes sense why a few well-known vintage dealers have been going to Tokyo recently.

Old 20 July 2023, 07:20 PM   #20
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

While traveling I had a connecting flight at London. Had some time to kill and I visited the Rolex store. They had 2 DD 40mm for a purchase, everything else was exhibition models only!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 08:41 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Highly doubtful. Gold in particular is not very scarce - Rolex can buy all they need without requiring fresh mining.
Most gold billets today are bought and made from recycled gold items that have been melted down.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 09:06 PM   #22
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
AD, why does not anyone have a BC.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 10:24 PM   #23
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
I don't know what "Front loading" means.

Your second sentence, "They ( precious metal ) will not be available at the end of the year," suggests it means that Rolex is selling all their PM pieces for the year now, rather than distribute them evenly throughout the later.

Why would they do that? Does it suggest they're expecting that the PM pieces _won't_ be sellable later in the year?

And does Rolex work like that normally: do they manufacture all their PM pieces exclusively towards the start of the year?

This seems odd. I must be misinterpreting this.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 10:31 PM   #24
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

AD’s will say anything to shift attention away from the SS Professional market. It’s generally known that AD’s do not have any inside information and this is by Rolex intel design.
Old 20 July 2023, 10:43 PM   #25
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenDelicate View Post
I don't know what "Front loading" means.

Your second sentence, "They ( precious metal ) will not be available at the end of the year," suggests it means that Rolex is selling all their PM pieces for the year now, rather than distribute them evenly throughout the later.

Why would they do that? Does it suggest they're expecting that the PM pieces _won't_ be sellable later in the year?

And does Rolex work like that normally: do they manufacture all their PM pieces exclusively towards the start of the year?

This seems odd. I must be misinterpreting this.
Maybe anticipating a gold-backed currency announcement from the BRICS nations? Of course, if gold becomes more expensive and harder to obtain, it would affect TT models as well.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 11:04 PM   #26
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Isn’t it much more likely that the AD was just saying this to create a sense of urgency in order to sell you a PM watch?
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote