The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 February 2018, 11:30 AM   #1
watchfreak18
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Guidance for watch from forum members, Is wire transfer safe?

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and honestly don't have any experience in buying from individuals. How I can know if I get an authentic watch or even I actually get the watch? a lot of people ask for wire transfer and as far as I know , wire transfer essentially means that you are giving cash to someone with no guarantee, so how does that work?

I am just confused about the whole process and would appreciate if you guys enlightened me.

Many thanks
watchfreak18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 11:31 AM   #2
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Buy the seller that’s my best advice
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 11:39 AM   #3
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
I think my last 5 or 6 purchases were made via wire and I definitely prefer it for my sales. Just make sure you are dealing with a reputable member here or a "trusted" seller. And if the price seems a little too good to be true...just walk away.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 02:23 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchfreak18 View Post
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and honestly don't have any experience in buying from individuals. How I can know if I get an authentic watch or even I actually get the watch? a lot of people ask for wire transfer and as far as I know , wire transfer essentially means that you are giving cash to someone with no guarantee, so how does that work?

I am just confused about the whole process and would appreciate if you guys enlightened me.

Many thanks
you pretty much covered it all yourself.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 02:29 PM   #5
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
You must be careful. As you said a wife is irreversible. There are many many great sellers on this forum. Some do it for a living. Others are just moving a particular watch in their collection. Make sure to check references and always go with your gut. There are lots of tips in other posts that a quick search should direct you to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 February 2018, 02:40 PM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchfreak18
How I can know if I get an authentic watch or even I actually get the watch?
You will never know - you will have to believe at the time you buy. Your belief will be based on good skills in researching the seller. Look for stellar feedback from people as good as the seller. Check the pictures for any obvious problems. Ask all your questions in writing, preferably in TRF PM’s for your first dealings with a seller.

When buying from an individual you’ll be looking for the hallmarks of Trust. Almost as strong as the trust you place in your financial advisor or banker. Look for a strong return policy.

When you do get the Watch, have it verified by a certified watchmaker. That way you’ll know it is authentic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchfreak18
a lot of people ask for wire transfer and as far as I know , wire transfer essentially means that you are giving cash to someone with no guarantee, so how does that work?

It is like sending cash without the risk of a loss in transit, and on a same-day basis. It works fine as long as the seller meets all those other criteria above. If you’re not comfortable wiring money, ask for PayPal price, or mail a certified check, or postal money order.

Hope that helps a bit...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 02:44 PM   #7
sickened1

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
You must be careful. As you said a wife is irreversible.
Amen to that.
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 04:50 AM   #8
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Hi All,

Many thanks
As others have said, buy the seller.

One rule I always try to stress - if doomsday strikes, are you 100% sure who sold you the watch? If not, you'll have zero recourse... Make sure you can absolutely identify the seller, get references, and as many clear pictures with a very thorough description.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 05:15 AM   #9
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Hi All,

Many thanks
Stick with the guys here who sell watches for a living and you will be fine. Look for references in the buyers/sellers section. These folks have been on the forum for several years and have several thousand posts. Reach out to them by P.M. or phone/text and build a line of communication before wiring them money. Many members here can guide you along the way if you need assistance.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 07:03 AM   #10
77T

So a cautionary tale - it seldom happens - but "seldom" is meaningless if you are the first one who gets scammed. Yep, "some days your'e the windshield, other days you're the bug".

Even a trusted seller gets into trouble from time to time. Perhaps just 0.02% of the time but if you were the one who wired funds the day before it happens, you could have a problem.

A couple of examples top the long list of trusted vintage sellers (in red boldface all caps)

** PLEASE NOTE BOTH LERMAN AND MULHOLLAND WERE REMOVED FROM THIS LIST! **

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=180461

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote