The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 April 2018, 01:42 AM   #91
Flybak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Generally speaking, no I wouldn't pay a premium at an AD. I'm buying there for the transparency of knowing exactly what I'm buying in a watch both on the surface as well as on the inside with full piece of mind should there be any issues that full recourse is available. That being said, exceptions are a part of life and in the case of very difficult to obtain watches, I wouldn't outright refuse the possibility of a premium....

....The amount of premium relative to the value of the watch would be a key question (assuming of course it means I'm getting it instantly or within a very short timeframe). I can say that I would definitely not pay 25% or even higher than that over the MSRP in any case. It's not a matter of having the funds or not, it's just the principle.

Everyone has their own views, these are my own preferences and I definitely say the choice is always down to your own priorities! Enjoy the watch however you choose to get it, life is too short to fuss about it!
Flybak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 03:39 AM   #92
misterbass
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
As for both watches I purchased in the late 90’s (16610 and 16610Lv) one has doubled, the other has tripled. So, I guess there are many models that won’t. But for the models in question, I’m sure they will only increase in price Sir. We only need to look at history of the brand
I have a 16710 GMT that I bought in 2004. In terms of actual money spent, sure I paid a lot less out than the watch appears to be selling for today. But in relative terms, taking into account inflation, servicing etc, £1 is worth a lot less today than it was in 2004. As many posts on these forums will attest, watches aren’t going to make a profit, even less so if they’re bought at a premium. If you like the watch, buy it and enjoy it but don’t expect to make money from it unless you’re a trusted grey and are flipping it soon after you bought it.
misterbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 03:49 AM   #93
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I would never pay over MSRP from an AD. Probably never from anyone to he honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 April 2018, 06:14 AM   #94
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Depends. Will they throw in a free hat???
Old 8 April 2018, 06:31 AM   #95
Heimdall
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR SD4K PP 5167A
I am surprised a real AD would do this, seems corrupt, and would not buy from him.
Heimdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 07:05 AM   #96
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbass View Post
I have a 16710 GMT that I bought in 2004. In terms of actual money spent, sure I paid a lot less out than the watch appears to be selling for today. But in relative terms, taking into account inflation, servicing etc, £1 is worth a lot less today than it was in 2004. As many posts on these forums will attest, watches aren’t going to make a profit, even less so if they’re bought at a premium. If you like the watch, buy it and enjoy it but don’t expect to make money from it unless you’re a trusted grey and are flipping it soon after you bought it.

I misspoke. I purchased the 16610LV in 2007. So in 11 years I’ve tripled what I paid for it. True that I did service it once at a price tag of about 700 usd. But, you are right Sir, I buy my watches to wear and enjoy. Not to make a profit. But the notion of some SS models not gaining equity is dead wrong. Doesn’t matter what the $ or the £ was worth in 2007. I believe some SS models purchased now, will be worth more in the next 10-15 years than what it was purchased for in today’s market. Also, if my choices are purchase a watch I really love at a premium, or go without, you will see that watch on my wrist every time, and my bank account a little lighter
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 07:26 AM   #97
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
No thanks.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 10:39 PM   #98
snipermaverick
"TRF" Member

Which state in India is this?
snipermaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 11:15 PM   #99
ronaldleft
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t pay premium. Decided to move on.. too many nice watches to enjoy to be throwing money away like this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ronaldleft is offline   Reply With Quote