The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 April 2018, 10:33 PM   #31
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO1 View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I kind of liken this statement to saying the Subs, GMTs and Daytona's died with the introduction of the maxi case and ceramic bezels. Rolex has always been about evolving and modernizing while keeping the roots as pure as possible. If it wasn't for this we would all be wearing watches with 50's era movements, no crown Subs and GMTs with radioactive lume that dies, plastic crystals and very tinny bracelets.

I like a vintage watch as well as a vintage car but I don't want to live with it all the time.
I sure am.

When you hold a 39mm next to a 36mm Explorer, you realize how much difference a 3 little millimeter increase does... in a bad way, IMHO.

There was absolutely no need to boost the Explorer to 39mm except falling in the trendy trap of big watches. Sure, the new Explorer is nice, but it’s not what it used to be. I’m sure many Explorer enthusiasts somehow share my point of view.

But at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter. It’s only a watch. We’re arguing because we can, but none of us can claim to hold the truth..

Old 10 April 2018, 01:52 AM   #32
Hoppyjr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuilln View Post
I sure am.

When you hold a 39mm next to a 36mm Explorer, you realize how much difference a 3 little millimeter increase does... in a bad way, IMHO.

There was absolutely no need to boost the Explorer to 39mm except falling in the trendy trap of big watches. Sure, the new Explorer is nice, but it’s not what it used to be. I’m sure many Explorer enthusiasts somehow share my point of view.

But at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter. It’s only a watch. We’re arguing because we can, but none of us can claim to hold the truth..

While some may agree with the above statement, many do not - as evidenced by the popularity of the 2016 version of the 214270 Explorer. The matte dial helps make it special and the revised hands bring it all together.

The initial redesign (2010?) was poorly executed (IMO) but this current version is my favorite modern Rolex.

I owned a 14270 (36mm) Explorer in 1999, but always found it a bit small on my 8” wrist. This 39mm version fits me as the 36mm version did those with smaller wrists.

Hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 02:49 AM   #33
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyjr View Post
While some may agree with the above statement, many do not - as evidenced by the popularity of the 2016 version of the 214270 Explorer. The matte dial helps make it special and the revised hands bring it all together.

The initial redesign (2010?) was poorly executed (IMO) but this current version is my favorite modern Rolex.

I owned a 14270 (36mm) Explorer in 1999, but always found it a bit small on my 8” wrist. This 39mm version fits me as the 36mm version did those with smaller wrists.

With 8" wrist, I understand you prefer the 39mm version.

Old 10 April 2018, 03:32 AM   #34
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Really the old style was a nice watch; hands never bothered me. I do like the improved lume however. I also like the nick name for the old watch of Tyrannosaurus.

RIP, T-rex!
The hands on the first 39mm were way too short
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 03:40 AM   #35
Hoppyjr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpny View Post
The real Rolex died when lug holes were discontinued... just kidding (although I do love the lug holes :-)

Yes. I also wish the sport models still had lug holes.
Hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 03:50 AM   #36
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
Quote:

There was absolutely no need to boost the Explorer to 39mm except falling in the trendy trap of big watches
39mm is not a trend I don't think.

I bought my first 39mm watch 31 years ago back in 1987 and that has been a standard size for me ever since. Swatch in 1987, a Victorinox in 1990 and now fast forward many years later to my Explorer.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 04:03 AM   #37
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

T-Rex for sure!!!!!
digitalcrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 08:53 AM   #38
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
The real Explorer died when the 114270 was discontinued.
I have to agree, but I don't have problems with the newer versions.

I'm just glad I got mine when the getting was good.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 09:33 AM   #39
torrente
"TRF" Member

I purchased my Exp 2 weeks ago I have only see a not lumed numbers once and seemed beautiful too, I have not had the opportunity to wave both physical versions on sight at same time to have a more informed opinion. If I look at photos together I prefer new one.
Regarding size, nevertheless I have a 7.5 wrist I like small watches and I would prefer the 36 if it would be my only Rolex, but as I have a DJ36 white sticks jubilee too I like how they complement on different aspects (size, color, dial, bracelet, hands, clasp...)
torrente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 10:42 AM   #40
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Might as well offer my two cents on my favorite Rolex (at least favorite among the three I own)

Bought my 214270 Mk 1 new in 2013. Seems most like the changes, can’t argue about the hands, although they have never been a issue with me. And I’d rather have the WG numerals over the lume.

It’s my everyday watch, keeps great time, looks fabbo. Glad everyone is happy with their version.