The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 6 January 2022, 09:08 AM   #1
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Difference between a 6 digit Sport Rolex and a GS on bracelet

This has probably been covered before but I was too lazy to search for the correct thread…anyway, is there anyone that owns both and can share some light on differences in finish, weight, “feeling” etc. between a 6 digit sport Rollie and a “standard” GS?
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 01:12 PM   #2
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Series 9 gets close to feeling like a Rolex. All the others wear and feel quite different on a bracelet. Now cue the GS bracelet haters……….andddddd, go!
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 02:02 PM   #3
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

First, this is the only “Rollie” I know:

W regards to the bracelet, Rolex is heavier and more solid as well as more easily adjustable and secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 03:26 PM   #4
arguscanis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my subs
I find the adjustability of my Snowflake’s bracelet lacking, compared to my Rolexes.
But I added a leather strap and it’s darn near perfect now.
arguscanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 03:45 PM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
The bracelet on my SBGT235 is the most comfortable bracelet I own, and more comfortable than the 6-digit Rolexes I have previously owned or worn. It opens and closes easier, and the clasp is thinner. Finishing is also excellent. Sizing with the shorter screws isn't a major issue either. No micro adjust but if you get the fit right you don't need it, IMO. I never used the micro on my Rolexes, and the easylink thing was just something to play with that I never used for purpose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7817.JPG (138.4 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7812.JPG (148.0 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7813.JPG (137.9 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7814.JPG (140.5 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7815.JPG (148.0 KB, 221 views)
Old 6 January 2022, 05:07 PM   #6
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I agree with all this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The bracelet on my SBGT235 is the most comfortable bracelet I own, and more comfortable than the 6-digit Rolexes I have previously owned or worn. It opens and closes easier, and the clasp is thinner. Finishing is also excellent. Sizing with the shorter screws isn't a major issue either. No micro adjust but if you get the fit right you don't need it, IMO. I never used the micro on my Rolexes, and the easylink thing was just something to play with that I never used for purpose.
as a new GS owner, it took a little bit to get the bracelet right however when you do it wears as good as any.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 08:34 PM   #7
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

This is a question I've also been pondering. I don't own a 6 digit oyster, but I do have a jubilee and I value the easylink especially living in a warmer climate. I'm seriously considering the blue four seasons (273) though.

I no longer use my Speedie bracelet as I find it very hard to get a comfortable fit. My most comfortable bracelet though is my 5 digit Sub bracelet. That thing is absolute perfection and with the added micro adjusts (not that I use it) is ideal.

Personally I think glidelock is a bit overblown. Realistically i don't believe people need as much on the fly adjustment as they think they do.

When it comes to GS though, I do feel a total lack of micro adjust in any way is less than ideal. Hopefully something they address in future watches. I guess half links do help to some extent as is a major downside of the old speedie bracelet.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 09:39 PM   #8
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
This is a question I've also been pondering. I don't own a 6 digit oyster, but I do have a jubilee and I value the easylink especially living in a warmer climate. I'm seriously considering the blue four seasons (273) though.

I no longer use my Speedie bracelet as I find it very hard to get a comfortable fit. My most comfortable bracelet though is my 5 digit Sub bracelet. That thing is absolute perfection and with the added micro adjusts (not that I use it) is ideal.

Personally I think glidelock is a bit overblown. Realistically i don't believe people need as much on the fly adjustment as they think they do.

When it comes to GS though, I do feel a total lack of micro adjust in any way is less than ideal. Hopefully something they address in future watches. I guess half links do help to some extent as is a major downside of the old speedie bracelet.

I agree with you - love the 5 digit bracelets despite what some critics say about the “rattle”. And I detest the speedy (last gen) bracelet.
I’ve never needed to use the easy link- to me it was always gimmicky. I do however use the glidelock on my sub since I very active wearing it and my wrist swells during vigorous exercise compared to rest.
The GS bracelet is extremely comfortable to me , it just takes a bit of math and a bit of self-tinkering with a screwdriver and tweezers to get the perfect fit, recognizing that the “half link” isn’t really a half link At all (there are several posts on this). For the average joe, a micro adjust on the clasp would be much easier, but I suspect would sacrifice some of the comfort and small size of the existing GS clasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 12:00 AM   #9
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Owning several 6-digit and 5-digit Rolex on both Oyster and Jubilee bracelets, I have bought 3 Grand Seiko watches 2020/2021 (of which 2 is on a bracelet) - and I must honestly confess that the GS-bracelets are just perfect and super comfortable. The "lack of micro adjustment", bla, bla, bla seems blown out of proportions on various watch forums.
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 03:33 AM   #10
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your input guys. Any input on the case finishing, dial lettering, dial finish etc…?
Old 7 January 2022, 04:50 AM   #11
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives

Agree with most of the comments re:bracelets above. I've never used the easy-link, my wrists don't noticeably vary with temperature, even when I was living in Sri Lanka. My GS bracelet has never shown any indication of being less secure than the Rolex, nor any of those on my other watches.

The case and dial are more interesting and more finely finished than the Rolex. No question, after which it just comes down to aesthetic choices- which do you find more attractive ?

Old 7 January 2022, 08:27 AM   #12
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K Johnson View Post
Thanks for your input guys. Any input on the case finishing, dial lettering, dial finish etc…?
Most people familiar with both brands seem to agree that GS outshines Rolex in those areas.
Old 7 January 2022, 10:12 PM   #13
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Most people familiar with both brands seem to agree that GS outshines Rolex in those areas.
Would be inclined to agree. In fact, I think its a no contest on case and (especially) the dials.

The dial markers in particular are like nothing i've ever seen. I have a '69 45GS and the marker finishing still blows me away
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 10:39 PM   #14
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
If you get it sized right I'd say the GS bracelets are a little more comfortable just because they are lighter and much less bulky at the clasp. The key is that first bolded part which isn't always easy.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2022, 01:08 AM   #15
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
If you get it sized right I'd say the GS bracelets are a little more comfortable just because they are lighter and much less bulky at the clasp. The key is that first bolded part which isn't always easy.
I would agree with this! I’ve had 6 digit professional models and the bracelet is comfortable, but the GS is just a bit more so in my opinion due to the lightness.

Another thing I’m surprised no one had mentioned, is that I find the folding part of the clasp significantly better than the 6 digit Rolex clasp. For some reason the polished bit of the Rolex clasp sticks to my wrist like no other and drives me crazy. I have to readjust it more than I really should. The sort of bead blasted finish of the GS clasp folds works way better in wearability.
Old 8 January 2022, 05:15 AM   #16
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Would be inclined to agree. In fact, I think its a no contest on case and (especially) the dials.

The dial markers in particular are like nothing i've ever seen. I have a '69 45GS and the marker finishing still blows me away
Thanks a lot guys!! Really appreciate your input on this!