The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 January 2022, 08:06 PM   #1
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

New SLGA009 White Birch Spring Drive

Newly announced today. Personally, the Hi-Beat movement looks better to my eye, but as is usual with GS this is probably one of those that must be seen in the flesh to really appreciate it.

Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 10:04 PM   #2
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

There they go again, just can’t help diluting their own hits
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 10:29 PM   #3
edo
"TRF" Member

Here is side by side... the new one is more white than silver and texture is less pronounced... pics by GS9Club...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (154.7 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (165.7 KB, 422 views)
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 10:35 PM   #4
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

There are some very subtle differences:

The dial itself is a bit more subdued,
bigger date window,
different chapter ring,
larger crown,
text
Old 11 January 2022, 11:30 PM   #5
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Afraid I have to agree. No reason for this watch IMO.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 12:21 AM   #6
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Wow. Do they ever stop with knocking off the watches they make? They are worse than Panerai back in the day. This practice diminishes the brand in my eyes and makes it easier to look elsewhere.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 01:49 AM   #7
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

I love GS but their business strategy of constantly releasing limited editions and dial changes dilutes and cheapens the brand. On marketing they still have a lot to learn from the Swiss.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 02:33 AM   #8
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Don't quite understand some of the knocks here. From what I can see, this isn't a limited edition, neither was the hi-beat. This is just another version of the White Birch now available in Spring Drive and sits alongside the hi-beat. I don't know if it's a watch that the world asked for, but we got it. A lot of people are drawn to the brand because of the Spring Drive - so perhaps it made sense.

Personally, another dial variation would have been better - but I do wonder if this is in some way intended to replace the Snowflake.

It is a surprise though that they've effectively released the same watch twice (to those not picking apart the differences). But we should also remember that these are made in a different factory - so they're perhaps internally competing, which Grand Seiko has done for decades (Daini and Suwa).
Old 12 January 2022, 05:39 AM   #9
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting to read the criticism.

From my perspective, this release is a gift to GS fans and WIS in general: A totally different movement, different dial (in the details), plenty of other small differences. All while being part of a new family of watches.

Remember: GS offers enthusiasts two special movements (as well as other good automatic and manuals). Should each movement get its own distinct case/dial? Should GS only offer one movement? For me, the answer to both is: no.

Personally, I prefer the newer version’s dial: less silver, less “design”, more subtle. I also like the bigger date window. I also am happy that others might prefer the “silver” white birch and have that option.

Compare this to the Date-Just: a million variations of the same plain mass-produced movement (albeit robust and reliable). Nice watches for sure, but different.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 05:41 AM   #10
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
I love GS but their business strategy of constantly releasing limited editions and dial changes dilutes and cheapens the brand. On marketing they still have a lot to learn from the Swiss.
Completely agree with this.
I looked at getting into GS a few months ago. But the sheer volume of watches that they had with minutia of a difference was off putting- let alone the names. Unless you are at the very top of the watch world (like Patel with 5711). No-one is going to remember a bunch of random letters and numbers (I know they mean something, but still).

I was at the GS boutique in London and the SA pulled out about 5 limited edition watches, all very similar.
I would much rather they just refined their offering and marketed them properly.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 05:51 AM   #11
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammad10 View Post
Completely agree with this.
I looked at getting into GS a few months ago. But the sheer volume of watches that they had with minutia of a difference was off putting- let alone the names. Unless you are at the very top of the watch world (like Patel with 5711). No-one is going to remember a bunch of random letters and numbers (I know they mean something, but still).

I was at the GS boutique in London and the SA pulled out about 5 limited edition watches, all very similar.
I would much rather they just refined their offering and marketed them properly.

Well, if you want an instantly recognizable icon like a 5711 or RO or Submariner, you should probably just stick with one of these three watches.

IMHO, GS is clearly not aiming for that. Their goal seems to be to create good quality watches giving nuanced choices to enthusiasts who appreciate GS for what it is. Just my two cents….
Old 12 January 2022, 05:59 AM   #12
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Well, if you want an instantly recognizable icon like a 5711 or RO or Submariner, you should probably just stick with one of these three watches.

IMHO, GS is clearly not aiming for that. Their goal seems to be to create good quality watches giving nuanced choices to enthusiasts who appreciate GS for what it is. Just my two cents….
I wasn’t after an instantly recognisable watch like a 5711 or RO etc. Their naming and the sheer volume of watches in their catalogue makes it difficult to distinguish each one and the new white birch is a perfect example of that. That’s how they’re losing new customers.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 06:08 AM   #13
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammad10 View Post
I wasn’t after an instantly recognisable watch like a 5711 or RO etc. Their naming and the sheer volume of watches in their catalogue makes it difficult to distinguish each one and the new white birch is a perfect example of that. That’s how they’re losing new customers.

Yeah, maybe new casual customers who could look at a tray of watches and say “they all look the same” or “I don’t want to choose, just tell me which is the “icon” so that I buy that one”?

Or maybe the new customer will spend a few minutes and find one he or she connects with? Probably why Rolex makes 300,000 DJ variants.

Anyway, with GS, at least the customer can see them IRL.

But I understand how some watch consumers think that’s actually a negative for “brand perception”.

Old 12 January 2022, 06:29 AM   #14
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Nice, this is more along the lines of what I was hoping for (looks a lot like the snowflake dial). Date window is less jarring and blue second hand on the white backdrop is gorgeous. Good on GS for offering another dial on the new spring drive! Now if only it were 20mm lug width with a nice taper then that would be even better...
Old 12 January 2022, 07:20 AM   #15
loganhunter2009
"TRF" Member

So when are they going to do a similar movement 9RA2 with the power reserve on the back for a Diver watch? I'm still waiting to buy one.
loganhunter2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 08:45 AM   #16
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
That minute hand looks like its on Keto. Maybe just the pic but it seems noticeably more slim especially side by side.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 09:05 AM   #17
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Interesting to read the criticism.

From my perspective, this release is a gift to GS fans and WIS in general: A totally different movement, different dial (in the details), plenty of other small differences. All while being part of a new family of watches.

Remember: GS offers enthusiasts two special movements (as well as other good automatic and manuals). Should each movement get its own distinct case/dial? Should GS only offer one movement? For me, the answer to both is: no.

Personally, I prefer the newer version’s dial: less silver, less “design”, more subtle. I also like the bigger date window. I also am happy that others might prefer the “silver” white birch and have that option.

Compare this to the Date-Just: a million variations of the same plain mass-produced movement (albeit robust and reliable). Nice watches for sure, but different.
I agree and don't have a problem with GS doing variations on a theme. All the other top brands seem to do it, and more choice is good, even if it upsets a few people who don't want to see more affordable watches that look a bit like theirs.
Old 12 January 2022, 09:24 AM   #18
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
I really enjoy GS offerings with spring drive and I don’t mind seeing it offered on a relatively svelte watch (11.8mm thick) that’s got a 5-day PR, and where the PR indicator is on the back of the watch.

Maybe it is puzzling GS would in effect cannibalize its own sales by issuing such a similar offering, but from my vantage point, it doesn’t injure me in any way when they make decisions like that, and in fact, its existence offers me more choice. There are subtle differences I appreciate as an enthusiast. Doesn’t seem like bad news at all.

Similarly, I wasn’t sad to see the SBGA413, originally a U.S. exclusive, offered to a wider audience. On the contrary, I was happy to see more folks could enjoy it for the same reasons I bought mine - because I think it’s a beautiful, accurate, comfortable watch. Alleged exclusivity wasn’t a factor, at least for me.

To each their own!
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 08:03 AM   #19
NolaJ
"TRF" Member

I just reversed this one. I also have the new soku dial on reserve. In not sure which one i want
NolaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 10:54 PM   #20
NolaJ
"TRF" Member

Did you see the price increase on this watch. It was first published at 8600.00 the promo email from the AD said 8600.00 when i called to reserve it they say the price changed and it's 9100.00

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
NolaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 01:36 AM   #21
quadraaa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Exactly my thought too.
quadraaa is offline   Reply With Quote