The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 January 2022, 11:55 PM   #1
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

SLA037/043 - Rolex perspective

Gents,

I bought a Seiko SPB149 and unfortunately it started something weird…
I have got a few Rolexes and what always bothered me about cheaper Seiko’s was the movement and finishing… after awhile, I could not wear them back to back with my more expensive watches. The SPB149 is in a different league to them and while I really like the watch, I feel like the SLA is really what I need in terms of the level of execution of that style. I am going to give a huge compliment to Seiko here- the 62mas design is superior to the Submariner/ Omega and anything else at that price point. It is more appealing to me.
I was thinking about getting an SLA043/037 (still not sure I can justify paying 1500€ more on the high beat movement), and wanted to know if there's anyone here with watches that are similarly priced that can tell me what are his observations and whether this will be a very expensive mistake.

Should I go that route or just be happy with my SPB149 which I am really enjoying.

Thanks for answering
Daniel23456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 03:53 AM   #2
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Sla043 would be the way to go. The 037 is just too expensive. I own the 017. It’s an awesome watch.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 11:28 AM   #3
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
The higher end movements are nice, but for me its father away from there true heritage. Nothing wrong with that, but it feel unauthentic in a sense.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 12:06 AM   #4
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned them all and can still not tell you which I prefer based on value for dollar and wear. I own the SLA037 and think it is great but moved the SLA149 along. No problem with it but it just did not stick. I own the SLA033 which is an expensive Captain Willard remake and absolutely love it but I wear my black King Turtle more. I own the SLA 143, 147, 021, 023 and maybe a few more I will have to check the watch box and I am waiting on the SLA055 and 057. I can not keep up nor do I try. I just buy what I want when I want it and wear them as I want. Have I lost my way with Seiko, maybe, but I also enjoy them greatly and have stopped looking for logic in my buying/wearing/owning. An older picture of the Seiko watch box but you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200731_123230 (002).jpg (134.9 KB, 218 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 12:44 AM   #5
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

The SLA037 is awesome. I bought one about a year ago and couldn’t have been more impressed. The case and movement are basically Grand Seiko which explains the cost:
https://www.fratellowatches.com/seik...y-diver-watch/
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 12:50 AM   #6
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Stick with your cheaper versions. I’ve had both and the more expensive ones don’t give me 3x the joy
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote