The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 July 2011, 12:04 PM   #1
RolexPete32
"TRF" Member

Watch: You know... Rolex
detached home vs duplex or townhouse???

Advice needed. I own an apt condo and have had a number of issues over the years with other people here not personal but lawsuits and interests they persue that cost money and have or could raise condo fees. My wife and I want to buy a home and we are seeing duplex and townhouse options that look OK but I was wondering if anyone here has one and what issues if any you might want to share? I think a house might be our best option but also comes with a much heavier price tag for the area we are considering. Thank you
RolexPete32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2011, 12:54 PM   #2
cosimo
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT blue sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete32 View Post
Advice needed. I own an apt condo and have had a number of issues over the years with other people here not personal but lawsuits and interests they persue that cost money and have or could raise condo fees. My wife and I want to buy a home and we are seeing duplex and townhouse options that look OK but I was wondering if anyone here has one and what issues if any you might want to share? I think a house might be our best option but also comes with a much heavier price tag for the area we are considering. Thank you
Alot of real estate is local, whats good for one isnt necessarily good for another. Also depends on weather you will be staing put for greater than, say, 5 years. That being said, given the current intrest rates, prices and buyer's market, if you do your research, you should do well owning. Such that the monthly on the home you buy will be equity after several years instead of being equity in the pocket of the person you are renting from.
just my .02
cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2011, 03:14 PM   #3
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Condo/townhouse - usually more noise, less privacy and HOA fees that keep climbing.

SFR - more privacy, generally higher resale value and no HOA to deal with (usually).
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2011, 04:58 PM   #4
NiceRide
"TRF" Member

Many variables to consider. I own a house and just purchased a condo. My condo is nearly three times smaller than my house but worth the same, plus I pay an additional $400/month in HOA dues. Yet the condo serves its purpose: super low maintenance and close proximity to everything.

Only you can decide what works for you.
NiceRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2011, 06:02 PM   #5
colpol
"TRF" Member

This is one that probably only you can answer

Places I've stayed in have suited me at a particular stage in my life i.e. student flat, semi detached smallish house when single & a detached house now I've a family. The house we're in at the moment - we knew when we bought it we'd be here for the duration of our daughters school-ing so its more a home than an asset. We also got a fairly big back garden which we use as an "extra room" in summer to sit in. At the time we really stretched ourselves financially but then somewhere down the line - your really glad you did.

If your intending to buy & stay put for a while & maybe future proof yourself for a family etc - maybe detached & the best place you can afford
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2011, 11:29 PM   #6
axxeman01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
Individual home. We lived in a condo for several years. It was well built and we never heard our neighbors at all. The thing I didn't like was the whole 'association' thing dictating what can and can't be done to the home and common things like flowers, etc.
axxeman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2011, 11:33 PM   #7
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxeman01 View Post
Individual home. We lived in a condo for several years. It was well built and we never heard our neighbors at all. The thing I didn't like was the whole 'association' thing dictating what can and can't be done to the home and common things like flowers, etc.
You still get that depending on your subdivision! Mosf of the time those are there for your protection of your home value. People want to do stupid things.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2011, 12:35 PM   #8
daunwaun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K YG Day Date
Hey RolexPete where abouts are you in Canada?
Old 8 July 2011, 12:38 PM   #9
RolexPete32
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your advice. I needed it. The wife and I will be on the hunt for a detached I think.
Old 8 July 2011, 12:40 PM   #10
RolexPete32
"TRF" Member

Hi daunwaun I sent you a PM.
Old 8 July 2011, 12:57 PM   #11
snowbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-dweller View Post
Condo/townhouse - usually more noise, less privacy and HOA fees that keep climbing.

SFR - more privacy, generally higher resale value and no HOA to deal with (usually).
+1. And even if a house has an HOA, they're generally much less of an issue than with a condo or townhouse . . . no arguments over upkeep etc. as in a condo/townhouse HOA as that's the owner's responsibility in a SFR, the HOAs for houses are usually just enforcing architectural standards, maintaining common areas etc.

Whereas I've heard quite a few horror stories about HOAs in condo/townhouse situations.

From what I've seen, the only places a condo/townhouse will hold its value like a house are areas where houses are just too expensive for a large percentage of people.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2011, 01:31 PM   #12
EverydayCats

I'm single and have owned a single family stand-alone home—actually four—for thirty years. I love it, but it has its pitfalls. Landscaping, out side maintenance, but no fees . I highly recommend it as a way to go.
EverydayCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2011, 10:30 PM   #13
watchf
"TRF" Member

If given the choice and finance is not the issue I would get a stand alone house, non of these apartment unit/condo, townhouses/duplex. You can't control what the people next door do and can't control the disturbance their action will in turn have on your life living next to them and connected physically through a wall. There might obviously still be some disturbances from neighbours even if its a stand-alone house but the fact is you have gone all the way commonly possible to eliminate and minimise it other than moving to a secluded island or buying a land big enough so you have no neighbours.
watchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2011, 11:30 PM   #14
Rbdport
"TRF" Member

I've owned all 3 at different times in my life. No right or wrong here, but definate pluses and minuses. A detached house gives you more separation from your neighbors, but you're married to it. Lawn, maintenance, cleaning can leave you little time to enjoy much else. Town house may be slightly less time than house, but closer to neighbors. Condo means little maintenance but closest to the neighbors. Hubby and I live in a condo now and I doubt we'll go back to a house. At this point in our lives we have other interests and no desire to spend our spare time mowing the lawn, painting the exterior or in the winter, shoveling the drive and walk every time it snows.we have no kids and travel frequently, so a condo makes sense for us..
Old 11 July 2011, 08:54 AM   #15
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
My wife and I just bought a townhouse in north nj and it works for us right now.
We actully hardly even hear our neighbors. We have a garage and our maintenance fees are $300 but we have a pool that is nice. We do not have time to maintain a yard so it works for us right now nor do we have kids yet. When we have kids we will prob get a house but right now it works for us. It is what fits your needs better right now..
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2011, 10:32 AM   #16
sherwin
"TRF" Member

not sure of the canadian market, but detached home for sure. there is nothing like a home on a piece of land that you can call your's with a beautiful backyard. i cant imagine living in any other dwelling other than detached home.
Old 11 July 2011, 10:54 AM   #17
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-dweller View Post

Agree
Sherwooddavid is offline   Reply With Quote