The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 November 2020, 07:30 PM   #1
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Submariner and Tudor BB58 Owners

Hey all,

I was lucky enough to have purchased my first Rolex a few months ago which was the Rolex submariner 126610LN. Really loving the watch and can’t see myself ever letting it go. I have recently been back and forth on trying to acquire the Tudor BB58 Black and was offered the watch by the same AD a few days ago. I am to pick it up this coming week, but I keep asking myself....are the watches too similar to have in the same collection? I know time will tell with the Tudor BB58, but any feedback from owners of both watches would be great. Cheers!
Vigilante24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 07:51 PM   #2
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Slightly different as I have the older equivalents (114060, BBN ETA, 79090). They all work in my collection and as long as you will wear both the Sub and BB58 they belong in yours. I don't think they're too similar. Only caveat is if there are other styles of watches you want. Maybe pick those up first and come back to the BB58 later if you feel it's too redundant.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 08:29 PM   #3
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Don’t own either model (do own the 116610) and they are not that similar at all, so think can co-exist nicely on any collection. Congrats in advance! :cheers;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 10:14 PM   #4
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have always been a huge Rolex Submariner fan and would tell you that they are all special. But, there are some great alternatives out the and the Black Bay 58 is one of them. The watch looks great on metal, NATO and leather and it wears as well or better than any Rolex Submariner I have ever owned. The problem is it does not have the Rolex logo on the dial and that does matter to me and many others. There is enough room in any collection for both but the challenge for me is I wear my Tudor's, Omega's and Seiko's much more than my Rolex's. It is a good situation. Get your 58 and enjoy both.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 10:22 PM   #5
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Depending on how you wear and treat your watches you could have a lot more fun with the BB58.

I treat my Rolexes as jewelry/luxury items and as such I am careful not to damage them when on my wrist, specially with PCL's or Gold. I know many others don't care and just say "have fun with it" - well I still do, I just enjoy having them look nice for as long as it's possible.

With my Tudors I feel like I can do whatever I want - if they get a few dinks, scratches, so be it - they're to me my "toolwatches". I remember looking down at my BB58 being covered in sawdust one time and thinking "cool!" - I would not have thought that if I was wearing my TT Daytona.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 10:26 PM   #6
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

The BB58 is an very nice watch, but I reckon there are enough similarities between the BB58 black and the Sub to keep you wondering. I would suggest, if you like a bit of color (and don't already have a blue diver), that you consider the BB58 blue instead -- this one would complement instead of compete with your Sub.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 10:55 PM   #7
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I think it is.

I have a subc along with a tudor bb 58 blue.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 11:39 PM   #8
dontbeshort
"TRF" Member

Watch: LN LV BLRO BLNR
I am fortunate to just own both these references. However the BB58 is blue and on a fabric strap. The matt aluminium bezel is totally different from the Sub ceramic dial. The dark navy blue dial and bezel colour are in contrast to the Subs black colour. Not to mention the size difference 39mm Vs 41mm. They feel totally different to me. I personally dont like the BB58 SS bracelet as it has unsightly rivets on the side and the whole feel of the bracelet is a little underwhelming. To me they are both very desirable alluring pieces.
dontbeshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 04:15 AM   #9
campfire
"TRF" Member

I have a 5-digit Sub and BB58 Blue. For my own personal use, they are totally different. Obviously the color plays a big part in that though.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 04:52 AM   #10
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
It really depends, if you like the watch enough buy it.

I usually dont go for anything that doesnt have a date. Just a personal preference so I'd lean Pelagos if Tudor is cutting the cake.

There's also NOTHING WRONG with throwing away the Rolex umbrella. Look at the SMP300 Diver by Omega, or Bretiling Superocean Heritage or you know...something different.

It does seem to me that Hans Wildorf is making mortage payments for people if you buy his watches. No pun itended.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 05:24 AM   #11
pulseyou
"TRF" Member

I have the BB58 NAVY with plans to get a black no date sub. I think this is the perfect start to a collection. I do think unfortunately that the BB58 black and the black sub share the same role in a collection, but that is just my opinion and if you love them both get them both! Maybe keep the sub on a bracelet and put the BB on a bond nato?
pulseyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 08:34 AM   #12
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I have a 114060. I’d consider the BB58 Blue or a different watch altogether. I have no interest in the BB58 black. It’s too similar to the Sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 08:47 AM   #13
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
I own a 126610LN and a 79030B. IMO they are different enough to coexist in a collection. They look and wear a lot different from each other.

Santiago32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 10:46 AM   #14
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante24 View Post
Hey all,

I was lucky enough to have purchased my first Rolex a few months ago which was the Rolex submariner 126610LN. Really loving the watch and can’t see myself ever letting it go. I have recently been back and forth on trying to acquire the Tudor BB58 Black and was offered the watch by the same AD a few days ago. I am to pick it up this coming week, but I keep asking myself....are the watches too similar to have in the same collection? I know time will tell with the Tudor BB58, but any feedback from owners of both watches would be great. Cheers!

I have a 11 series sub date and a bb58 blue. I thought the bb58 black was too similar so never got it- when the blue came out, i knew immediately that I wanted it and it complements by black dial sub date quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 11:58 AM   #15
ChatDawg
"TRF" Member

I have a BB58 and 126610LN.... I’ve actually been actively trying to trade the BB58 for a grand seiko. Granted, I only have two watches so I wanted something a little more dressy to go with the sub. I love the BB58 but it hasn’t gotten a ton of wrist time since I got the sub...

ChatDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 12:59 PM   #16
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

I have a green on green sub and just got the Blue 58. Love the 58 and it will be around a while
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 01:42 PM   #17
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2
Submariner and Tudor BB58 Owners

These are the two I wear most at work and then I throw in this one

All similar yet unique in their own way. My advice is buy what you like. Diversity is overrated.
Galaga167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 02:25 PM   #18
kehoep123
"TRF" Member

kehoep123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 04:02 PM   #19
russeree
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
BB58 wears totally different; its actually fun. I got the black dial on a metal bracelet. My Rolex has seen no wrist time since the black bay landed.

16710 Pepsi
russeree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 07:33 PM   #20
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
get them in different colors.....
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 08:52 PM   #21
DNX
"TRF" Member

I have the no date Sub and absolutely love it, I also have the BB58 Blue on a bracelet and not only can it (BB58) exist in the same collection - it is so different, and it is surprisingly amazing to wear and look at - don't really know how to explain but it is quite mesmerizing at its price - i would go for it - I would however recommend the Blue, but the Black I do like and may add one myself.
DNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 02:21 AM   #22
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Speaking from experience, the BB58 (blue) is totally complementary to my 114060. In fact, I consider the BB58 far more legible watch at a glance. It's really one of the most legible pieces I've encountered. Fantastic wrist feel, proportions, and weight- plus the crystal just nails it.

I can't imagine you regretting the purchase. The BB58 punches well above its weight. Keep us posted!
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 01:59 AM   #23
bronxbombers42
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red Sub, GMT
I was actually just about to post a similar thread until I stumbled on this one. I currently have a 16610 and 1675, but I've been lusting after a BB58 in black over the last few months. I'm playing mental gymnastics and trying to convince myself the BB58 and Sub can exist in the same collection, especially since the BB58 is such a strap monster. To be completely honest, since I bought my 1675, I've really only been into vintage/vintage-inspired pieces, and the 16610 doesn't speak to me nearly as much as it once did. Debating parting with the 16610 and adding a BB58 instead.
bronxbombers42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 03:43 AM   #24
Hawkeye1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChatDawg View Post
I have a BB58 and 126610LN.... I’ve actually been actively trying to trade the BB58 for a grand seiko. Granted, I only have two watches so I wanted something a little more dressy to go with the sub. I love the BB58 but it hasn’t gotten a ton of wrist time since I got the sub...

I had the same issue. Ended up getting rid of the BB58 to someone who will hopefully wear it!

Hawkeye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 10:12 AM   #25
ChatDawg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye1 View Post
I had the same issue. Ended up getting rid of the BB58 to someone who will hopefully wear it!

What’d you replace it with? I’m struggling to make a decision. I like the idea of a two watch collection with one being the sub.

ChatDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 10:21 AM   #26
Eagles4133
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
There is definitely room for both. My wife was not pleased when I got my 114060 pretty much immediately after I got my '58, in turn sold the '58 (now regretting) especially since I was able to get at a discount. I have been trying to get my hands on the BB58 again on a bracelet, but to no avail. The NATO is extremely comfortable and will change up the look of the watch completely.
Eagles4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 11:11 AM   #27
pulseyou
"TRF" Member

Dressing it down on a Crown and Buckle Chevron Strap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (3) (1).jpg (170.5 KB, 261 views)
pulseyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 11:13 AM   #28
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
There's room for both in any collection. They are different enough that you can enjoy them separately.
Old 3 December 2020, 11:50 AM   #29
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I have 4, 5, and 6 digit Subs and SD's, and a BB58 Blue, and it's definitely unique enough to warranty owning both. The Tudor has a unique shade of blue and you don't see them everywhere as you do Subs. I love the long power supply and mine has been freakishly accurate, probably the most accurate mechanical watch I've owned since I started collecting watches in the mid 80's.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 12:29 PM   #30
Hawkeye1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChatDawg View Post
What’d you replace it with? I’m struggling to make a decision. I like the idea of a two watch collection with one being the sub.

Nothing. I realized I use the date complication more than I realized so I just have the sub which I wear 90% of the time and a Yachtmaster, among other watches. But mainly, as much as I liked the BB, I would wear the Sub more so it went to a better home

Hawkeye1 is offline   Reply With Quote