The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2022, 07:08 PM   #61
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i have avoided the moonwatch for the longest time thinking it was just space hype.

but after getting it as part of the collection. it really is a workhorse/toolwatch.

i have the 1863

i would say it's tough and dependable as a rolex.

movement = manual wind but accurate. can be used daily no problem 0.0 to 0.3 secs/day vs atomic clock

bracelet= not as comfortable as rolex but gets the job done

wr= faucet/hose water pressure no problem but i wouldn't go horseplay in the pool

legibility = no problem bright or dark easily readable

overall good watch with chronograph function
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2022, 02:32 PM   #62
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper144 View Post
Hello All,

I have always been a big fan of the Omega Speedmaster professional. Probably the most iconic chronograph of all time. I love the heritage and story behind the watch. Most people online would say that every “serious collector” needs to have one in their collection.

But after talking to a few watch friends it seems as though there are a lot of downsides to this piece. Bracelets are very cheaply made, little to no water resistance and up until the new movement it was kind of inaccurate.

I know this question is better suited for the omega forum. But I would love to get the rolex communities thought on the Speedmaster.

Is it a buy or something of a hype piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a hype piece, just like any expensive watch.

Your friends are right. The bracelets are bad. Even the new one is not as good as the what you'll find in the current Rolex models. Accuracy is hit or miss. My Speedy ran +15/day easy and it drove me insane. Water resistance was never an issue - it is not a dive watch.

I enjoyed mine but sold it. May get an 18K version because I want to. As long as you know what you're buying, you're okay.
Old 29 May 2022, 07:33 PM   #63
fmc000
Banned

I have the 1863, inherited from my late father. I always hated it and almost never wore it (it was the same fro my father, BTW: I don't remember him wearing it after the first day of the purchase).

When I wore it ran erratically and the bracelet is a real joke.

A few months ago I decided to give it a chance. I found a local watchmaker who serviced it (first time since new - it was bought in 1996). It ran really fast after the service but it was regulated a week later.

I bought a mesh bracelet with the quick install springbars and I wear it every day now. It runs around -1.7 spd when left crown down at night and +5spd when left crown up, so basically I regulate the time by myself.

In short, it's a nice watch to wear everyday, it looks good and I'm really happy that I gave it a chance after so many years.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2023, 12:18 PM   #64
Turb0wned
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendyBee View Post
For a 50m WR rating, we don't need to dive 50m to expose the watch to 70psi. Fast and vilolent swimming strokes could probably do it. So, a relax dip in the pool is ok but not 50m sprints or water polo sessions.

Love my speedies regardless.
I know this is a year old thread but I can’t believe people are still spreading this lie.
Old 14 March 2023, 03:51 PM   #65
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Unpopular Opinion:

If you remove its historical ties, the watch is "fine"
Nothing special, IMO and its a bit of a joke to consider it a "tool watch" in 2023

I dont understand the hype that surrounds it
I've never seen so many people fall so in love with a horse that was so flogged to death
Old 15 March 2023, 05:55 AM   #66
TheVision
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0wned View Post
I know this is a year old thread but I can’t believe people are still spreading this lie.
Most ADs don't even recommend swimming with the speedy..period. the 50m rating is given by a single gasket on the non screw down crown and nothing on the pushers. A compromised seal means moisture on the crystal just by dipping it in the pool for a lap. Google moisture on the speedy and plethora of good reads out there. Accidental push on the chrono while hanging out in the backyard pool may not end well. It's just a desk chrono at the best.

I've considered owning but the lack of date, no real WR and painted Mattte dial just doesn't do it for me ....I do respect the moon history and all that but still.

I ended up buying the white dial smp later.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2023, 06:22 AM   #67
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
Most ADs don't even recommend swimming with the speedy..period. the 50m rating is given by a single gasket on the non screw down crown and nothing on the pushers. A compromised seal means moisture on the crystal just by dipping it in the pool for a lap. Google moisture on the speedy and plethora of good reads out there. Accidental push on the chrono while hanging out in the backyard pool may not end well. It's just a desk chrono at the best.

I've considered owning but the lack of date, no real WR and painted Mattte dial just doesn't do it for me ....I do respect the moon history and all that but still.

This can happen on any watch so saying a compromised seal on a Speedy is kind of nit picking. Basically as long as the seals are good, yo can take your watch to the pool. I just wouldn't go actual diving with a Speedmaster.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2023, 06:42 AM   #68
logo
"TRF" Member

Genuine Opinions on the Omega Speedmaster

Quote:

A compromised gasket affects ANY watch. Would you be more comfortable submerging a 15 year old unserviced submariner or a brand new Speedmaster? Personally, the Speedmaster is probably more reliable in this instance. Get the seals checked, service the watch at regular intervals and a nice float in the pool/hot tub/ocean is no problem at all.

Here’s my Ed White in a glass of water lol

logo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2023, 11:28 AM   #69
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on the 3861 and have decided to go with the sapphire sandwich.

However I an still struggling with whether to get to bracelet (most up to date one), or to get the OEM strap with deployant buckle.

Any thoughts on this? My initial impression was to get the strap, but the moonwatch seems iconic with the bracelet....
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2023, 04:47 PM   #70
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on the 3861 and have decided to go with the sapphire sandwich.

However I an still struggling with whether to get to bracelet (most up to date one), or to get the OEM strap with deployant buckle.

Any thoughts on this? My initial impression was to get the strap, but the moonwatch seems iconic with the bracelet....
Get it with the bracelet for sure! Later, you can install whatever strap you want on it. The watch looks great with a bracelet or any strap...
Old 16 March 2023, 05:21 PM   #71
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

I understand that an AD might say that but I can only say that I pressure tested my Speedmaster to 6 Bar when I bought it and it passed.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 05:34 AM   #72
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

The Speedmaster is not for me. It's a good looking watch with lots of heritage of course, and probably a must have in terms of serious watch collector's list of must have watches.

But, I actually prefer the Speedmaster '57 and the GSOTM (I own the latter). It's just a better executed watch in my opinion.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote