The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 March 2023, 06:49 AM   #1
Danf1973
"TRF" Member

Confused :)

I bought a Seamaster 1342 watch (just the casing and guts). I then found a the bracelet, and another person had the clasp. Was there a XL version on the 1342? As you will see from the photos, they are not the same inside, nor is the dial etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230316_144024 (2).jpg (57.0 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg 20230316_144101 (1).jpg (39.5 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg 20230316_143309 (1).jpg (45.6 KB, 320 views)
Danf1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 10:33 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Those look like two different references to me.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 01:12 PM   #3
Danf1973
"TRF" Member

Agree. Unfortunately, yes. It appears that one is a Seamaster and the larger one a consolation. I had hoped to put it together, but due to the complexity , I'll be listing them back on Ebay. My thinking tells me that I should stay away from the quartz.
Old 18 March 2023, 01:06 AM   #4
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I hope you're able to find any additional parts needed so this project can be completed.

I remember the journey of finding the correct end links for my 70s Seamaster Cosmic. I searched low and high, ended up with a mint bracelet from a dealer in Japan where the production date matches the extract from the archives.

In addition to this, a U.S. seller had the end links, the only set I could find online, anywhere. This all added to the story behind the watch and proves it can be possible despite the odds or difficulties.

If you approach it as something fun to do in your spare time, you'll eventually get what you need from a parts watch / just a watch head with a movement, etc.

Keep searching and keep us posted.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 01:57 AM   #5
Danf1973
"TRF" Member

Agree ��! So the movement that I had bought was bad! Like bad. When opened, it appeard like a fire had taken place. The entire electrical side (not sure what to call that) was practically melted. I did buy (waiting for arrival) another movement. The larger full bracelet, which is a Constellation will remain that. My thinking is to go all mechanical. My skills for electrical are nowhere close. The smaller one which is the Seamster will be a tough one. I'll keep combing the WWW and hopefully one day pieces will appear �� ��. Thank you for replying. I really don't get many replies on here.
Dan
Old 18 March 2023, 09:25 AM   #6
doyall
2024 Pledge Member

I hope you are not in it for much money.
doyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 10:34 AM   #7
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danf1973 View Post
Agree ��! So the movement that I had bought was bad! Like bad. When opened, it appeard like a fire had taken place. The entire electrical side (not sure what to call that) was practically melted. I did buy (waiting for arrival) another movement. The larger full bracelet, which is a Constellation will remain that. My thinking is to go all mechanical. My skills for electrical are nowhere close. The smaller one which is the Seamster will be a tough one. I'll keep combing the WWW and hopefully one day pieces will appear �� ��. Thank you for replying. I really don't get many replies on here.
Dan
That's fantastic, Dan! Seems as if it's already coming together, slowly but surely. As a collector I really appreciate the valiant effort to restore and give new life to a watch / watches that were otherwise done for.

Vintage Omega is extremely fun and rewarding, because they're still relatively attainable and parts can eventually be found.

For me I was certain it would never happen, and boy oh boy was I pleasantly surprised as aforementioned. Dials, hands, and other parts can be matched up or located somehow. World wide shipping shouldn't be too much for such small / light parts either.

I've seen some watchmakers on YouTube restore pieces one would never think could even be restored. In fact, I've even seen one where the old Omega boxes where they were painted fabric stripped and repainted with vinyl paint. Cases and bracelets re-plated, hands re-lumed, and dials re-finished.

Once you manage to complete this you can then decide on either hanging onto the additional spare parts or selling them so someone doing a similar project can use them.

I still haven't decided what to do with the bracelet and end links I've replaced. Maybe once I figure out the watch those end links are intended for I can better decide. OR, maybe if I like the watch once determined I'll get lucky and find one for sale without a bracelet or with an old strap I could discard. Just thinking about that is enjoyable for me, so I'll definitely be following along here with the discussion as aforementioned.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 08:51 AM   #8
Danf1973
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyall View Post
I hope you are not in it for much money.
. Not at all. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a heart transplant. Been on the list now for 1yr and outta work for 2. Every that I enjoy doing is gone so decided to maybe try rebuilding watches. If I were to say sale them, it might be a few dollars over what I have in it. Just keeps me busy.
Old 21 March 2023, 08:58 AM   #9
Danf1973
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
That's fantastic, Dan! Seems as if it's already coming together, slowly but surely. As a collector I really appreciate the valiant effort to restore and give new life to a watch / watches that were otherwise done for.

Vintage Omega is extremely fun and rewarding, because they're still relatively attainable and parts can eventually be found.

For me I was certain it would never happen, and boy oh boy was I pleasantly surprised as aforementioned. Dials, hands, and other parts can be matched up or located somehow. World wide shipping shouldn't be too much for such small / light parts either.

I've seen some watchmakers on YouTube restore pieces one would never think could even be restored. In fact, I've even seen one where the old Omega boxes where they were painted fabric stripped and repainted with vinyl paint. Cases and bracelets re-plated, hands re-lumed, and dials re-finished.

Once you manage to complete this you can then decide on either hanging onto the additional spare parts or selling them so someone doing a similar project can use them.

I still haven't decided what to do with the bracelet and end links I've replaced. Maybe once I figure out the watch those end links are intended for I can better decide. OR, maybe if I like the watch once determined I'll get lucky and find one for sale without a bracelet or with an old strap I could discard. Just thinking about that is enjoyable for me, so I'll definitely be following along here with the discussion as aforementioned.
Thank you! I agree with everything you said. It's just away to keep my mind and body active and not getting into trouble 😵*💫