The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 12 May 2022, 02:31 PM   #31
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper144 View Post
Hello All,

I have always been a big fan of the Omega Speedmaster professional. Probably the most iconic chronograph of all time. I love the heritage and story behind the watch. Most people online would say that every “serious collector” needs to have one in their collection.

But after talking to a few watch friends it seems as though there are a lot of downsides to this piece. Bracelets are very cheaply made, little to no water resistance and up until the new movement it was kind of inaccurate.

I know this question is better suited for the omega forum. But I would love to get the rolex communities thought on the Speedmaster.

Is it a buy or something of a hype piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My opinion as a FOIS owner and a Silver Snoopy 50 owner.

1. Your watch friends are idiots. There's a reason why the Speedmaster is iconic. If you like the watch then buy it. If you don't like it then don't buy it. Who cares what your watch friends think.

2. Whether you get an 1861 or 3861, both bracelets are sturdy. The 1861 bracelet just isn't as comfortable as Rolex bracelets or the 3861.

3. Watch is accurate enough. If you want +1/-1 or some other really tight tolerance then get a quartz or a digital watch.

4. 50M water resistance is good enough. Like others have mentioned, just don't operate the chrono under water.

5. Standard Speedy Pro isn't a hype piece.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 03:55 PM   #32
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
3861 sapphire sandwich is the best chronograph in my opinion. Icon, thinner than 1861, very accurate, comfortable bracelet and fairly priced.
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 04:15 PM   #33
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
I'm going to go Omega nerd. The 861 movement was used for the Apollo 13 burn.
Interesting, I’ve not heard that previously. Do you have a source you can point me towards for more info? From the cataloguing I’ve read, my understanding was that Lovell and Swigert both wore a 105.012, making them both 321 movements (there’s debate on whose Speedmaster was used to time the burn, some say Lovell gave his to Swigert to time). We also know that the flight was in 1970, at which point NASA would have still been using their initial batch of Speedmasters that were flight qualified in 1965 and the full lot procured between 1964-1967 (so still 321 - all would have been 105.003, 105.012 or 145.012). The 861 movement (ref 145.022) was not NASA flight qualified until 1978 despite starting production in 1968. I have not seen any data to suggest NASA procured the 861 watches between release in 1968 and testing in 1978 for the shuttle program, and so it was my understanding that 321-based watches were used for essentially every Apollo mission. Certainly astronauts could have also brought their personal collection (like Gene Cernan on Apollo 17, or possibly Swigerts GMT, and the 145.022 used by Ron Evan’s for the heat flow experiment on Apollo 17), but the only thing we know for sure is that NASA had a batch of 321s and those were the ones that were officially issued for Apollo missions.

Tough info to track down in any official capacity for sure, but here’s an interesting summary I came across a while back: http://www.chronomaddox.com/moonmovement.html
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 05:59 PM   #34
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I love the Speedmaster. It’s one of my favorite watches. I don’t wear it on the bracelet. I prefer it on a leather strap. It’s definitely a strap monster, no doubt.

I also have dive watches, so water resistance is a moot point for me. If I’m going in the water, I’ll just wear my Seamaster or Submariner.

When it comes to accuracy, it’s fine for me. It’s also a manual wind watch, which is a nice change of pace.

Ideally, you should get a Speedmaster and a Seamaster so you have all bases covered.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 07:54 PM   #35
cglondon
"TRF" Member

I would love to buy the new 3861 Sapphire Sandwich. That case back is incredible. I feel seeing the movement like that allows you to “connect” with the watch even more! The new bracelet is exceptional. Step dial, Co axial, hacking. Honestly, it’s perfect in my eyes. It would slip in nicely beside my Explorer, G Shock and Seamaster.

cglondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 08:49 PM   #36
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper144 View Post
Hello All,

I have always been a big fan of the Omega Speedmaster professional. Probably the most iconic chronograph of all time. I love the heritage and story behind the watch. Most people online would say that every “serious collector” needs to have one in their collection.

But after talking to a few watch friends it seems as though there are a lot of downsides to this piece. Bracelets are very cheaply made, little to no water resistance and up until the new movement it was kind of inaccurate.

I know this question is better suited for the omega forum. But I would love to get the rolex communities thought on the Speedmaster.

Is it a buy or something of a hype piece.

I had an 1861 that ran within COSC spec and was a great watch that I should have never sold. The bracelet is far better than the 5 digit Rolex bracelets.

I bought the new 3861 version, and everything is better. the new METAS spec movement, the bracelet, the wrist feel.

50 meters of water resistance is plenty, never had any reason to even think about it.

The Speedmaster deserves any praise it gets and I believe it is a very easy watch for those who do not know watches to look down on.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 08:55 PM   #37
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I enjoy my Speedmaster as much or more than my two SS Daytona-C's and it gets more wrist time. Great with OEM straps/NATO's but also with aftermarket bracelets and straps. Just a fun watch and an icon in watch collecting. Go for it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 10:16 PM   #38
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

I’ve had a Speedy automatic since 1990 and that has been my main watch for many years. It’s making its way to the next generation now as its getting some wrist time with my 16 yo who is getting into watches also.
I’ve since added a 1861 and I love it. The Speedmaster in my view has always been one of the most iconic watches ever. And not just because of its history. It’s one of the best designs out there. They’ve become a bit too popular for my taste but maybe that’s a good thing so things stay alive. I’m personally not a fan of the new 3861 version and passed on it in a side by side comparison with the 1861. The watch itself is ok with its mix of refeeences to the past and the modern movement upgrades. But I couldn’t get past the bracelet. It looks similar to the one I have on my 90s Reduced but felt a lot more flimsy and unfinished. I prefer the weight and stiffness of the 1861 bracelet.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 10:58 PM   #39
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I'll never understand the water-resistance argument. Are you seriously going to swim below 50 meters with any watch?

50 meters is 164 feet. That's pretty damn deep.

I have the 3861 Speedmaster. It's my most worn watch by far. And yes the new movement is very accurate, when I was into checking the time keeping, it was quartz accurate (maybe better).

The 1861 bracelet is not cheaply made, in fact, I think it's maybe overbuilt.... too bulky for my tastes... The new 3861 bracelet is very nice, feels almost like a Jubilee. Very comfortable, very nice. But I really like a good taper.
gnuyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 11:13 PM   #40
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

3861 Hesalite Owner here...since November last year (so about 6 months now) and I am wearing it right now (it is the Speedy's turn in the rotation). Allow me to address some of your concerns:

1) Movement accuracy: I can't speak to prior model/movement accuracy, but the 3861 is consistently running at ~+1s/day. About the same accuracy as my Aqua Terra (8900 movement) and SMP300 (8800 movement) and more accurate than my 6 year old 114060 sub (~-2s/day).

2) Bracelet Quality and fit: I can assure you that the new bracelet once fitted correctly wears every bit as comfortably on my wrist as the oyster bracelet on my 114060. All it is lacking is an on-the-fly micro adjustment. I read that some people think the bracelet is sharp on the edges, but I don't find that to be true on the wrist. And it is quite solidly made. Admittedly, not quite as solid as modern Oyster, but you also lose some weight that way that makes the watch less heavy and allows it to "disappear" on your wrist more easily.

3) Water Resistance: This is, admittedly, the big problem with this watch IMO. Don't get me wrong...50m is enough for me to wear this piece when doing virtually everything from the office to yardwork to washing dishes etc. But I would not choose to wear it on vacation when I know I will spend time in pools or the ocean. THIS means only that the Speedy is not going to be able to perform as a one watch collection for most of us, but it doesn't mean that it can be an amazing part of a multi-watch collection.

4) I know you didn't bring it up, but some complain about the Sapphire vs Hesalite conundrum: As an owner of a hesalite, let me tell you that it IS possible to get scratches in the Hesa, but in 6 months, I have managed only one small hairline scratch near 1 o clock marker on the dial. That's it. And I am pretty sure that was my dog clawing at me unexpectedly when she was excited (so in other words quite forcefully). Under normal use, I can't even see the scratch. And if I ever get enough scratches that are visible, I can pop some Polywatch on the crystal and buff most of it out without having to send the watch in for Hesa replacement. And even IF that is necessary, it is a cheap replacement, even when done by Omega service center.

What I am trying to say is that the new Speedy is an amazing piece with fantastic attributes that will fit most situations you can put it through in daily life (unless you are a professional diver). There is absolutely no reason not to go to an AD and try it on. I didn't think the Speedy was right for me until I tried it on at my local AD and I absolutely knew I had to have it right then and there.
atxwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 11:16 PM   #41
jarecki
"TRF" Member

Watch: it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I'll never understand the water-resistance argument. Are you seriously going to swim below 50 meters with any watch?

50 meters is 164 feet. That's pretty damn deep.

I have the 3861 Speedmaster. It's my most worn watch by far. And yes the new movement is very accurate, when I was into checking the time keeping, it was quartz accurate (maybe better).

The 1861 bracelet is not cheaply made, in fact, I think it's maybe overbuilt.... too bulky for my tastes... The new 3861 bracelet is very nice, feels almost like a Jubilee. Very comfortable, very nice. But I really like a good taper.
I believe the 50m water resistance rating is a little misleading (for all brands). If you read the fine print it doesn’t actually mean you can take it 50m deep. It’s only splash-proof. To actually swim safely with a watch believe it should be rated to 100m.
jarecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 12:37 AM   #42
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarecki View Post
I believe the 50m water resistance rating is a little misleading (for all brands). If you read the fine print it doesn’t actually mean you can take it 50m deep. It’s only splash-proof. To actually swim safely with a watch believe it should be rated to 100m.
What fine print? Omega states that their water resistance is exactly what it says on the dial.

I have taken a few other 50M watches (Hamilton) swimming in the ocean plenty of times... Guess what? No issues. YMMV.
gnuyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 12:51 AM   #43
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm going to go Omega nerd. The 861 movement was used for the Apollo 13 burn.

omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 12:53 AM   #44
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:

https://www.omegawatches.com/fileadm...ance_chart.pdf

omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 01:20 AM   #45
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Genuine Opinions on the Omega Speedmaster

I wouldn’t swim with my Speedmaster on. I wear mine on a leather strap anyway, so that’s a big constraint right there in terms of jumping into the pool. However, I wouldn’t swim with it on if it was on a bracelet either.

I don’t see this being a big deal anyway unless it’s your only watch. For me, water resistance for the Speedmaster is a moot point because I have 2 divers I can wear when swimming.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 01:57 AM   #46
jarecki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
I stand corrected! That’s actually good to know - thanks for posting that.

It’s also interesting to see Omega says all its straps are suitable to get wet.
Old 13 May 2022, 02:10 AM   #47
BendyBee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I stand corrected! That’s actually good to know - thanks for posting that.

It’s also interesting to see Omega says all its straps are suitable to get wet.
For a 50m WR rating, we don't need to dive 50m to expose the watch to 70psi. Fast and vilolent swimming strokes could probably do it. So, a relax dip in the pool is ok but not 50m sprints or water polo sessions.

Love my speedies regardless.
BendyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 03:57 AM   #48
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
My opinion as a FOIS owner and a Silver Snoopy 50 owner.

1. Your watch friends are idiots. There's a reason why the Speedmaster is iconic. If you like the watch then buy it. If you don't like it then don't buy it. Who cares what your watch friends think.

2. Whether you get an 1861 or 3861, both bracelets are sturdy. The 1861 bracelet just isn't as comfortable as Rolex bracelets or the 3861.

3. Watch is accurate enough. If you want +1/-1 or some other really tight tolerance then get a quartz or a digital watch.

4. 50M water resistance is good enough. Like others have mentioned, just don't operate the chrono under water.

5. Standard Speedy Pro isn't a hype piece.
Totally agree with 1! They are talking bollocks, probably while drinking their koolade!

As a 321 owner, it’s not the most accurate piece. If all these people want is accuracy, I suggest they buy a quartz or a g-shock as you say.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 05:19 AM   #49
TDS
"TRF" Member

I'm new to the Speedy world however, this watch brings a smile to my face every time I wear it. I dont think this statement applies to me - "a lot of downsides" - when talking about my 3861: It's accurate, I dont swim with a watch and the bracelet is great for my smallish wrist. What I can say is that the craftsmanship is beautiful and I enjoy checking the time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SM on Rapha Small.jpg (292.6 KB, 366 views)
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 06:55 AM   #50
zengineer
"TRF" Member

It never occurred to me to consult my friends before buying mine.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 07:25 AM   #51
Rock Strongo
Banned

Watch: Yes
I was very underwhelmed the first time I saw the Moonwatch in the metal. The dial finishing wasn't competitive for the price, and the "history" can only take it so far. I've had a couple other variants but the only one that's stuck in my collection is the MK40.

Rock Strongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 08:44 AM   #52
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I have my father's Speedmaster Professional, which he bought new in 1975, or thereabouts. It's been serviced twice in that time and it's still going strong. A great watch, a superior chronograph. Of late, I wear it on a strap, black crocodile. The vintage bracelet is comfortable and works just fine.

For me, the watch has personal sentimental value. When dad gave it to me, it was at a turning point in my life. And, of course, it was his. He wore it for years. I was with him, as a small boy, when he bought it. It spurred my interest into this hobby of ours.

Of course, the Speedmaster's NASA history needs no introduction here...and that's either important to someone or it isn't.

It's a little on the large size for me. Not too big, especially for a watch of this type, but it's definitely got a presence! A few years ago, I bought the First Omega In Space version, without the crown guards. Amazing the difference that makes, in reducing its wrist presence ever so slightly, but significantly, if you have slim wrists, as I do. Great everyday watch, on a brown leather strap.

I like the latest models and wouldn't mind acquiring one at some point. Maybe the sapphire case back model, neat to see the movement.

Now, some won't like it, for one reason or another. Too large, or they want a date complication, or they don't like chronographs, or they don't like a manual wind, or whatever. All that matters, OP, is whether you like it. If you do, if it feels right when you put in on your wrist, then buy it and rest assured it's a genuine, classic, an icon in the watch lover's world.

But, if it doesn't knock you out, why bother? Find something that does.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 01:34 PM   #53
JC316
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nope, Omega has already addressed this. You can swim with your 50M WR Speedy.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 01:06 AM   #54
Jimmy 1665
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665/16610/114060
I have a 3861 speedy, bought February 2021. It's ace.
Considering I have a 1665, 16610 & 114060 Rolex, the Speedy gets worn every other day.
I have no problems with this 3861, however I've been spoilt by the Glidelock clasp on my Sub and that is the only downside in my opinion - limited adjustability on the clasp, which is easily rectified as posted earlier in this thread.
Until you actually get hands on, you'll not know.
This is an iconic watch that gets any WIS nodding in appreciation if seen in the wild. Green eyed monsters appear all the time when I wear an Oyster, never when I wear my Speedmaster.
Jimmy 1665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 12:58 AM   #55
the_drunk_dial
"TRF" Member

I didn’t appreciate the Speedy at first. It took a couple years after getting into watches before it really grew on me. Now, it gets most of the wrist time. I think with the latest model, they really improved the bracelet; however, I prefer it on leather or nato.

People who discredit the watch for its lack of water resistance are typically newbies to horology, and they expect every luxury watch to have every feature imaginable. There is nothing you can do to save these type of people. They will either evolve on their own, or simply end up with a twelve piece Rolex collection.
the_drunk_dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 01:04 AM   #56
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_drunk_dial View Post
People who discredit the watch for its lack of water resistance are typically newbies to horology, and they expect every luxury watch to have every feature imaginable. There is nothing you can do to save these type of people. They will either evolve on their own, or simply end up with a twelve piece Rolex collection.
So much truth here
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 01:32 AM   #57
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
I've had 3 different iterations and have sold all 3 after less than a year of having each one of them.

I get the history of it all, but just can't seem to stay in love with the case shape, bracelet, etc. I also didn't feel like it was as robust as my Rolex, whether true or not, and I never went for it out of the box over my other watches.

Funny enough, I'm loving the lyre lugs on my 300M, but I also like this specific watch because it's very different with the black ceramic case and other features. Otherwise, I'd be done with Omega and definitely over the Speedmaster itself.
Old 26 May 2022, 02:59 AM   #58
jarecki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_drunk_dial View Post
I didn’t appreciate the Speedy at first. It took a couple years after getting into watches before it really grew on me. Now, it gets most of the wrist time. I think with the latest model, they really improved the bracelet; however, I prefer it on leather or nato.

Not the worst thing to ever happen to a WIS!
Old 26 May 2022, 04:46 AM   #59
Texans93
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 43
I had the 1861 a couple of years ago and didn't care for the bracelet so I moved on. Last August I was at the AD and tried the new 3861 and the bracelet was wonderful. I added it to the rotation and I have no regrets. I've never submerged it in water but I have a Seamaster for those occasions.
Go try it on and unless your watch friends are chipping in on the purchase buy and wear what you want...
Texans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 05:04 AM   #60
alllexandru
2024 Pledge Member

I leave this here, my 1861 never regulated
OP you can’t go wrong with the Speedy
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote