The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 August 2018, 01:18 AM   #1
y2jdmbfan
"TRF" Member

About to Put Deposit on D-Blue DSSD...

So I mistakenly jumped on to the forums a few weeks ago and started reading through the entire DSSD thread. Long story short, I now wanted one. So I shot a couple emails out to my local AD's. One took over a week to respond and basically the store manager sounded like she had no interest in getting me one or even putting me on the list. I think talked to the AD where I bought my BLNR in November 2016. That purchase was on a whim, I called around looking for the BLNR and they happened to have one in the case, which was a super rarity back then as these were even harder to get back then. The store manager responded and said they had one in store for another customer, but that I was welcome to come in and look at it before they delivered it. She ended up delaying telling the person it was in so I could come look at it, which I appreciated. I had to drag my 2 year old son with me, he happened to be home sick from daycare and he was actually really well behaved. She initially asked me for half down in cash to put the order in, but after going back and forth a bit about the piece, she said she would take less than half cash for a deposit. She advised the wait could be as long as 6 months, but the piece they just got came in within about a month of the person ordering. I think I am going to put down a deposit and then ride it out until it comes in, which will be difficult for me, as I am kind of a "gotta have it now" type of guy, but this gives me time to decide what to do with a couple of the Omega's I have that I am thinking about parting with to fund this.

Does $3,000 down sound fair? I committed to at least half in cash before delivery. She also said they would let me finance the second half on their 0% once it is delivered, but will have to charge a 3% processing fee if I did that. The financing is not essential, but at 0% sometimes I just do it anyways. I'll be paying tax on the purchase, don't think there is anyway around that.

Sometimes I hate my hobbies/collections!

y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 01:24 AM   #2
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Well worth the wait.
I'd be ok with the deposit. Congrats in advance!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 01:25 AM   #3
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
When I wanted mine, they asked for a $2500 refundable deposit. I said what the heck I can get it back. Put it in my AMEX to be covered in case. 2 1/2 weeks later I got my call. If your serious about it, do it.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 03:41 AM   #4
T01
"TRF" Member

Just be sure its refundable. Outside of that, I don't see any issue with a deposit on a hard to get model.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 03:50 AM   #5
liuk3
"TRF" Member

I'd have no issues putting down a deposit for a piece I really wanted.
Old 16 August 2018, 03:51 AM   #6
Golf&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719
It's not at zero, it's at 3%, which may also be charged on the entire cost of the watch, it usually pays to just pay ����
Golf&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 03:56 AM   #7
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

I'm not giving anyone a dime until they present me with what i'm looking for. Its not a special order, they just don't have what I want in stock, which is far from being my problem.

Do you want the sale? Bring it in. Don't want to bring it in? Have a nice day. Its not THAT hard to find a Deep Sea.

Just one guys opinion.
Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 03:59 AM   #8
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
I'm not giving anyone a dime until they present me with what i'm looking for. Its not a special order, they just don't have what I want in stock, which is far from being my problem.

Do you want the sale? Bring it in. Don't want to bring it in? Have a nice day. Its not THAT hard to find a Deep Sea.

Just one guys opinion.

I like this attitude. I really do.

It amazing the weirdness the lack of supply is creating among ADs. Regardless I don’t want to buy from an AD any more now than I did 2,3,5 years ago.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 04:01 AM   #9
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post

It amazing the weirdness the lack of supply is creating among ADs. Regardless I don’t want to buy from an AD any more now than I did 2,3,5 years ago.
Its ludicrous....
Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 04:04 AM   #10
y2jdmbfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf&Watches View Post
It's not at zero, it's at 3%, which may also be charged on the entire cost of the watch, it usually pays to just pay ����
True. I realize that, was just communicating what they offered. I'm sure I could haggle around the 3%, I would rather not finance at all.

Thanks for the replies an input guys, really appreciate it!!
Old 16 August 2018, 04:05 AM   #11
y2jdmbfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post

I never did either in the past, but right now, most new D-Blue DSSD's are going for above MSRP + Tax on the 2nd/Gray Market.
Old 16 August 2018, 04:18 AM   #12
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
I just received my 126660 August 4. Put money down at my A.D., only $1000 because of prior purchases, I was prepared to do half. I was also prepared to wait until January. It came in within a week.

You will not be sorry. What I bought as a weekend watch has not been off my wrist, exceedingly comfortable, and will be my daily wear. 11 days in I can say no previous purchase has surprised me so favorably.

I got all the, ‘they want to sell it to me they better show it to me’ comments too. At the end of the day, this is the Rolex market at the moment and it is worth negotiating this market for this watch. Respectfully, I wanted to wear this watch not make a point.

Congratulations in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DFC7085C-581B-43A6-BE0C-F6DCA65C2F63.jpeg (148.8 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpeg E5D47965-7A81-4212-B07A-B26FC7ED8C0F.jpeg (78.0 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpeg AAFF3EBB-B99F-4FE8-829F-5B360C789C14.jpeg (112.6 KB, 365 views)
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 06:47 AM   #13
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I put half down on mine. I honestly don't care about putting money down, I'm going to have to pay anyway. It's not like the deposit isn't part of the purchase.
It's worth wait, as you can see from your photo, just a stunning watch all around.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 07:03 AM   #14
SSGMT
"TRF" Member

I was asked to pay in full for my Deep Sea to be able to secure one, I trusted them and I paid for the watch in full. I received a call about a month and a half later that my watch had come in. My AD has since changed the process, they found that most folks were balking when asked to pay for a watch that would be ordered and they would have to wait for. Now they ask for around a 20% deposit up front. So far, I have placed a few deposits and they have come through with the watches that I wanted fairly quickly. You should do what you feel comfortable doing, but I don't think you will be disappointed once you receive your watch.
SSGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 07:09 AM   #15
viczave
Banned

sounds like something you should do mate! congrats in advance
viczave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 08:28 AM   #16
jarecki
"TRF" Member

Watch: it.
I just put $3000 down on a D-Blue as well, with a Rolex boutique. Have no problem with that, as I know I want the watch. What’s the big deal with putting the deposit down? You’ll have to pay it anyway in a month or two when the watch arrives...
jarecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 09:27 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve never had to put down a deposit but having said that, times they are a changing. It’s tilted toward the seller at the moment so it sounds like you have to pay to play.

I guess I’d have no problem with it, but I’d want a tentative date of arrival with a full refund clause.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 09:36 AM   #18
Bobby T
Banned

A good AD doesn't need a deposit unless its a special order timepiece.........no more likely to get it than a good customer, on a list, that's a longtime customer.
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 10:40 AM   #19
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
My favorite SS sport Rolex..........congrats man!!
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 10:51 AM   #20
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

On putting down a deposit and being 'pre sold'

So I've been told 2 different stories from 2 different AD's:

1. "It doesn't matter if a person places a deposit on a watch and the dealer submits it as "pre sold" to their Rolex rep. In other words, when the AD receives the watch has no bearing on that -- it would be the same time whether they order the watch as a stock watch or whether it's ear marked for a particular customer (i.e.-- being pre sold with a deposit down). Up until a year ago, it would matter if a watch is pre sold, but those days are gone. So we don't pre sell watches anymore with deposits."

2. "It absolutely still matters if a watch is pre sold-- guaranteed. If a highly sought after SS watch is ordered routinely, it's impossible to know when it will come and what type of urgency there is. However, if a watch is ordered with a deposit down and listed as 'pre sold' even in today's crazy climate, it absolutely expedites things."

My buddy got his hulk in less than 2 months after putting a deposit down on it as a pre sold watch, and this is with a small family owned AD.
Old 16 August 2018, 12:28 PM   #21
WJGESQ
Banned

Snap it up and strap it on.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 12:34 PM   #22
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
So I've been told 2 different stories from 2 different AD's:

1. "It doesn't matter if a person places a deposit on a watch and the dealer submits it as "pre sold" to their Rolex rep. In other words, when the AD receives the watch has no bearing on that -- it would be the same time whether they order the watch as a stock watch or whether it's ear marked for a particular customer (i.e.-- being pre sold with a deposit down). Up until a year ago, it would matter if a watch is pre sold, but those days are gone. So we don't pre sell watches anymore with deposits."

2. "It absolutely still matters if a watch is pre sold-- guaranteed. If a highly sought after SS watch is ordered routinely, it's impossible to know when it will come and what type of urgency there is. However, if a watch is ordered with a deposit down and listed as 'pre sold' even in today's crazy climate, it absolutely expedites things."

My buddy got his hulk in less than 2 months after putting a deposit down on it as a pre sold watch, and this is with a small family owned AD.

Money always talks, no?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 12:55 PM   #23
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
Money always talks, no?
Not to the first AD it didn't. I got my white dial 116500 in about 3 months without having to put down any deposit. She told me it wouldn't make a difference and promised me I would be first on the list for a call when it came in. She kept her word and I got the watch.

The second AD got my buddy his Hulk in about 2 months-- maybe less-- and claims it happened b/c they pre sold it to him with a deposit down. They're also claiming it will be quicker for him in getting his Daytona by doing the same thing-- in fact they guarantee it (that it will arrive much faster), and have provided examples of how pre selling similar SS models expedites the process from Rolex.

So who the hell knows.
Old 16 August 2018, 01:09 PM   #24
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
OP, are you in or out?
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 12:13 AM   #25
y2jdmbfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTC View Post
OP, are you in or out?
I'm in. Going to put the deposit down at lunch time today. I'll update later.
Old 17 August 2018, 05:31 AM   #26
y2jdmbfan
"TRF" Member

So I went in on my lunch break and put in the depost. The manager was super nice. She already had everything ready. She advised it could be 6-8 months, but was entering it as a sold order with Rolex today and could be sooner. She gave me the latest Rolex catalog along with my receipts.

Now the waiting game begins...
Old 17 August 2018, 05:38 AM   #27
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
May I ask which AD?
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 05:42 AM   #28
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post

Just one guys opinion.
Even more ludicrous is one local AD is asking for you to pay upfront in full, no ETA, and the deposit is non-refundable, for any reference that they do not currently have in stock. I put my foot down with them. There is no reason to take a full deposit on a reference that has no trouble selling almost immediately if you pass on it. I can get the idea of a deposit to keep people on the list serious, but paying in full with no refunds is really a bridge too far for me.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote