The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 August 2018, 06:10 AM   #31
AVOGT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I don't know why watch people are in to watches but I can say that, personally, I love the aesthetic of a well crafted item, watches being at the top of the list. Someone posted a thread a few days ago talking about other fine goods and what brands we enjoy. Reading through this current post I see that a lot of folks are referencing hobbies such as cars, motorcycles, boats etc. and I don't think that's a fluke. Watch enthusiasts seem to be hobbyists. I personally collect records, music equipment, show posters (among other things) and it brings me great joy when I acquire something that connects with me. Watches are no different in that respect but totally different in the respect that, to me at least, they also convey achievement. I definitely think there is some ego in high end watch collecting but a healthy amount for most people. I'm not a rich man so when I add a new Rolex to my collection, it's a memorable occasion and that adds to the love of the game for me. It's an experience looking down at my wrist, and knowing that I have something that wasn't easy to get, will last past my lifetime and above all else... is absolutely stunning to look at. It's definitely a hobby for the ambitious and I think that's really cool. Just my two cents.
AVOGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 07:00 AM   #32
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I explain it to my wife that imagine if it were drugs I was addicted to? Or women? Or heavy gambling?
Could be much worse.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 07:12 AM   #33
K.ip
"TRF" Member

“Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend”

Might as well do it with a little bit of style
K.ip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 07:34 AM   #34
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.ip View Post
“Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend”

Might as well do it with a little bit of style

Love it! Was thinking along the same lines. The passage of time is one of the few things no one can control , and tracking it in the form of a piece of art and engineering on one’s wrist is an endeavor that many strive to perfect even though perfection can never be attained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 09:34 AM   #35
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Great watch just define a man :)
Old 16 August 2018, 10:09 AM   #36
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Is part of my life, I hate the phase: "Is only a watch", not for me. May be I'm more crazy than you, but I really really enjoy my Rolex and not for the "time".
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 10:12 AM   #37
Muxi
"TRF" Member

It’s the feeling of keeping a watch in movement by sheer motion of our own being alive. It stops when we stop
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 10:55 AM   #38
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron62 View Post
I think when you talk bang for your buck you get a lot of enjoyment and usage out of this hobby. I have owned motorcycles, classic cars, still, own a boat and dollar for dollar those things get very little use in comparison. My watch, however, is with me daily and I feel I get a whole lot of enjoyment out of it.
This
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 10:56 AM   #39
estradagy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxi View Post
It’s the feeling of keeping a watch in movement by sheer motion of our own being alive. It stops when we stop
This.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
estradagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 11:05 AM   #40
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

I was always interested in mechanical watches since I knew what they were. The precision fascinates me, since I realize how difficult it is to engineer and manufacture an accurate mechanical watch. And I was always attracted to dive watches--specifically, Seiko dive watches.

I never knew I wanted a Rolex until I tried on a Sub and realized it was the perfect combination of the dive watch style I had liked since a young boy and the precision mechanical instrument that had the most impressive engineering at the price point.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 01:37 PM   #41
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenfried29 View Post
I see in watches human effort with engineering, design, craftsmanship, art and history. And that is only in the nutshell. Of course there's a lot more into it. It's all fascinating if you think about.
Well said.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 02:05 PM   #42
SomeEngineer
"TRF" Member

To me a real watch person is a man (im not saying women cant be watch people but im male and i can only really speak to a male perspective) that is more than what is traditionally the book cover definition of a man, but in a way that is not obnoxious or ostentatious.

This man has a passion and zest and success to him that is about more than just the money or just having nice things. Anyone that works hard can find the money for something nice that displays that fact, but a real watch guy wears it because hes not necessarily trying to say hes successful, but that he has achieved what he has because he has a love of life and a love of what a human being can do when "the rules" arent what governs him and "good enough" is never acceptable.

You wear a watch because you appreciate art, you appreciate someone pouring their soul into an object and telling you their fears and their passions and their losses and their entire story in a way that isnt just the oprah 5 o'clock special, but also isnt black turtleneck jackson pollock high street abstraction.

This guy isnt impressed with himself, he isnt trying to show you how smart he is or how capable, because its not about that and never has been. Its about seeing with more than just your eyes and working with more than just your hands.

He can wear a timex or a casio to tell time, and in the end if he did it wouldnt make him any different, but he picks up a rolex because its so much like him. Its successful, its hard working, its precise, its worldclass, but most importantly its more than the sum of these things put together. Its not anything you can list in a resume or convey in a magazine article. Its that intangible, un-quantifiable mistique that develops around a person that, all things being equal, cares more and goes harder just because its the only way they know how to live.
SomeEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 08:11 PM   #43
roosvelt
Banned

Watch: 16613 serti 18078
I wear a Rolex because I can't take my Ferrari into a bar ! lol
roosvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 08:17 PM   #44
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosvelt View Post
I wear a Rolex because I can't take my Ferrari into a bar ! lol
Get an extra big key chain and wear it around your neck while you ring a russo red bell. 60% of the time it works everytime.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 08:26 PM   #45
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Not sure why. Just like them,
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 09:06 PM   #46
roosvelt
Banned

Watch: 16613 serti 18078
lol Neil
roosvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 09:52 PM   #47
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Influence from my parent who bequeathed me with some watches. Every time I look at them, it reminded me of him and his journey in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 10:53 PM   #48
Texasjim
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ...this!
Who doesn’t like gadgets? This particular gadget makes a statement about the owner.
Old 16 August 2018, 10:59 PM   #49
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
I wear my watches because I love them! They celebrate milestones, they celebrate passion, they celebrate love!
siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 11:03 PM   #50
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

one obvious reason is today's society is into disposable things. If your shoes break they get thrown away, if your shirt rips it gets thrown away, when your tech is old it gets thrown away. Things always didn't use to be this way. A watch is one of the only things that can go through your life with you and its expensive enough that you will fix it when it breaks. To me it makes watches even more important as everything else comes and goes except your watch.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 11:40 PM   #51
Soultime
"TRF" Member

I use it to tell the time.
Numerous times each day.
Seldom use phone etc to tell the time.

Rolex then adds, rugged build quality that should last a lifetime and simple Art Deco inspired designs (hadnt thought about that till coming on here). And I love Art Deco.

Add desireabilty and potential increase in value over the longer term and its a winning combinations.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 11:57 PM   #52
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
one obvious reason is today's society is into disposable things. If your shoes break they get thrown away, if your shirt rips it gets thrown away, when your tech is old it gets thrown away. Things always didn't use to be this way. A watch is one of the only things that can go through your life with you and its expensive enough that you will fix it when it breaks. To me it makes watches even more important as everything else comes and goes except your watch.
nice one!! !!!
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 12:26 AM   #53
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

I also pretty much like the idea that a proper watch keeps going and that you can keep it forever… A car is a temporary thing indeed just like nearly everything, a new kitchen isn't new anymore in 20yrs and a pocket knife fades as it needs resharping. a watch will get some scratches and wear eventually but it will Always keeps time and be able to be restored pretty easily besides some really horrible stuff like motor accidents offcourse but than the priorities might differ eventually
Old 17 August 2018, 12:33 AM   #54
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I explain it to my wife that imagine if it were drugs I was addicted to? Or women? Or heavy gambling?
Could be much worse.
I always say similar to my partner ....

" ..at least I don't go up the pub every night ".

I'd probably be a lot wealthier if I did
nigelUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 12:43 AM   #55
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Get an extra big key chain and wear it around your neck while you ring a russo red bell. 60% of the time it works everytime.
see he is wrong. first thing you do is stick the ferrari key on the bar. it speaks volumes.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 12:46 AM   #56
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
The ROE (return on enjoyment) is so much higher.
This - and not ROI - is what this hobby is all about. Well said.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:32 AM   #57
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
This - and not ROI - is what this hobby is all about. Well said.
But also it is a costly hobby at first, but when you decide to quit te hobby it seems that the money isn't gone as much as with other hobbys wich is obviously a very very very good thing
Old 18 August 2018, 12:58 AM   #58
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
interesting question. For me the connection to Rolex began at an early age. As a little kid I liked watches and liked water resistant watches. My first watch was a Timex diver's watch (if you could call it that) on rubber strap. I was about 5 or 6 and thought it was so cool to be able to bathe with it or go in my kiddie pool.

As I became older I started becoming interested in snorkeling and diving and you couldn't open up a Skin Diver magazine without seeing the Rolex Submariner advertisement on the inside of the cover. The look fascinated me and I wanted one. As I aged further and learned about the brand I started to associate owning a Rolex as a measure of success. Here I am today many years later and kind of still have the same sentiment.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 03:28 AM   #59
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
interesting question. For me the connection to Rolex began at an early age. As a little kid I liked watches and liked water resistant watches. My first watch was a Timex diver's watch (if you could call it that) on rubber strap. I was about 5 or 6 and thought it was so cool to be able to bathe with it or go in my kiddie pool.

As I became older I started becoming interested in snorkeling and diving and you couldn't open up a Skin Diver magazine without seeing the Rolex Submariner advertisement on the inside of the cover. The look fascinated me and I wanted one. As I aged further and learned about the brand I started to associate owning a Rolex as a measure of success. Here I am today many years later and kind of still have the same sentiment.
how old are you now?? and u still ownes the timex too??
Old 18 August 2018, 03:50 AM   #60
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
7 yr old group member with the watch my folks first bought me!!! I will also always remember watches on my father's wrist. Gone through too many watches in my life to remember or count. The luxury watch segment adds permanence to my watch choices. Rolex watches seem to be the most attainable and best value in the segment. Have purchased watches for different purposes and now own too many. Likely the hobby nature of collection also is involving for me. So to summarize it's mainly emotional content which keeps involved in the hobby.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote