The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 July 2018, 03:45 AM   #1
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

5711 disappointment

Recently acquired a new 5711. Outside of a Calatrava many moons ago this is my first PP. I have to tell you that I am extremely disappointed in this watch. The rotor noise is a buzzkill...no pun intended. The bracelet and clasp just feel cheap to me. I had very high hopes and this was a grail for me. I own many Rolex models and several AP's and have never felt this way about any of those. Did I expect too much or am just missing the allure of the fabled 5711?? I wanted to love this watch and waited for a long time to get it. Maybe I got a lemon. Anyone else's experience mirror this?
Jerodp716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 03:51 AM   #2
sameer222
"TRF" Member

Watch: PatekRolexAPLange
Get a 5711R, totally different experience!
sameer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 03:51 AM   #3
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerodp716 View Post
Recently acquired a new 5711. Outside of a Calatrava many moons ago this is my first PP. I have to tell you that I am extremely disappointed in this watch. The rotor noise is a buzzkill...no pun intended. The bracelet and clasp just feel cheap to me. I had very high hopes and this was a grail for me. I own many Rolex models and several AP's and have never felt this way about any of those. Did I expect too much or am just missing the allure of the fabled 5711?? I wanted to love this watch and waited for a long time to get it. Maybe I got a lemon. Anyone else's experience mirror this?
No problems, just sell to me at MSRP and I will take it off your hands. Problem solved.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 03:54 AM   #4
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer222 View Post
Get a 5711R, totally different experience!
Not the first time I've heard that recommendation! LOL!

Do you know what I am talking about though in reference to the ss Nautilus or am I crazy??
Old 18 July 2018, 03:54 AM   #5
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
No problems, just sell to me at MSRP and I will take it off your hands. Problem solved.
LOL!
Old 18 July 2018, 03:54 AM   #6
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:

If you bought into it based on all the hype — and above retail (which I hope not) I’m not at all surprised you’re disappointed.

Every watch I’ve chased and ‘built up’ has always disappointed me - enter EVERY Daytona I’ve ever strapped to my wrist.

For me — the 5711 has NEVER disappointed. It is the quintessential stainless sports watch. That and the 15202. And they will always be special pieces to me.

The bracelet can be a little quirky — but to me that’s one of the aspects that makes it special.

If you don’t like it - and got it from an AD — take it back to them - and trade it towards something else.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 03:56 AM   #7
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
If you bought into it based on all the hype — and above retail (which I hope not) I’m not at all surprised you’re disappointed.

Every watch I’ve chased and ‘built up’ has always disappointed me - enter EVERY Daytona I’ve ever strapped to my wrist.

For me — the 5711 has NEVER disappointed. It is the quintessential stainless sports watch. That and the 15202. And they will always be special pieces to me.

The bracelet can be a little quirky — but to me that’s one of the aspects that makes it special.

If you don’t like it - and got it from an AD — take it back to them - and trade it towards something else.

Just my .02

I absolutely love the aesthetics of the watch...it's the little quirks I cant get past. I did buy from an AD so no over retail premium.
Old 18 July 2018, 04:03 AM   #8
sameer222
"TRF" Member

Watch: PatekRolexAPLange
Quote:
Not the first time I've heard that recommendation! LOL!

Do you know what I am talking about though in reference to the ss Nautilus or am I crazy??
I do get what you're saying and truth be told I have felt it when trying on the various SS Nautilus, something about the SS on the Nautilus, dare I say, feels a little flimsy to me (hold the pitchforks! )

Having said that, would love a 5712 SS as I think that and the 5711R are the best of the Nautilus world
sameer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 04:04 AM   #9
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

I actually love everything negative you said about it. I love the light-weightness of the bracelet and overall watch. I love the thin profile on my wrist and I absolutely love the rotor SOUND. Not noise. Its a sound, a beautiful sound that I love both on my 5167 and my 5712. I'm looking forward to my white 5711.

If you don't like it, then maybe look into a 5726 or 5990? Those are heftier and more Rolex-like.

But don't think that because you like the 'rolex-like-heftiness' and are used to it, then every other watch is inferior. I feel the opposite. Every modern rolex is an undelicate mass produced 'rock' on my wrist, that has no sound, no soul.

I still like Rolex, but I understand other watches are not supposed to be as hefty and tank-like.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 04:04 AM   #10
Vipes
"TRF" Member

You don’t have a lemon. Loud rotor is common with this movement. This is a very thin watch and the thinness of the bracelet will make it seem dainty. If you’re after heft then go PM (5711/1r). If you want something sportier then look at the 5990.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 04:13 AM   #11
tubojunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Probably in the minority here as well but my brother has the 5711 and i do not understand the appeal. I tried it on and it feels very underwhelming to me. Maybe a different nautilus will do it for me.

I’ve always thought if the 5711 wasn’t hyped as much as it is now there’s a lot of other watches I and others probably would rather have at 30k. But I totally get why people want it. History, heritage, value, etc. Just not my cup of tea.
Rolex 126610LN
tubojunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 04:15 AM   #12
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Age must be catching up on me because I didnt hear any rotor sound at all unless I put it right next to my ear in a completely silent room and shake the watch. Or is it you guys 5711's cases weren't properly sealed?

I also find the bracelet simply oozes luxury but then I have the R version. I agree partially about the clasp. Not cheap but hard to open.
Old 18 July 2018, 04:18 AM   #13
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the responses! I appreciate it.
Old 18 July 2018, 04:24 AM   #14
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
You probably didn’t expect too much, but probably expected something different.

In my opinion it can take some time to appreciate the 5711, as it is just a simple watch with a date. It doesn’t shout to get your attention, but whispers.

To you the bracelet feels cheap, to me it’s silky and refined. The clasp discretely does it’s function (would be better with the clasp from the 5740 though).

I’d suggest you give it time. Wear it for a couple of weeks and you’ll see how versatile it is. You can wear it anywhere and do pretty much anything and it will never look out of place.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 04:27 AM   #15
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

At least you’ll have no trouble selling it if you decide to. From what many people on here say the 5990 will suit you better. I tried on a friend’s 1978 steel nautilus recently and it did seem delicate. I’ve only seen one brand new steel 5711 in real life, but I guess we should all try before we buy, even if you have to visit a grey dealer or Geneva!
SilverFoxUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 04:29 AM   #16
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubojunk View Post
Probably in the minority here as well but my brother has the 5711 and i do not understand the appeal. I tried it on and it feels very underwhelming to me. Maybe a different nautilus will do it for me.

I’ve always thought if the 5711 wasn’t hyped as much as it is now there’s a lot of other watches I and others probably would rather have at 30k. But I totally get why people want it. History, heritage, value, etc. Just not my cup of tea.
Yep definitely minority, I am not into Nautilus either. Had one a long time ago and sold it a long time ago (maybe should have held it till now), but it's one of the few watches that I made money selling, so can't complain there.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 04:40 AM   #17
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I absolutely love the aesthetics of the watch...it's the little quirks I cant get past. I did buy from an AD so no over retail premium.
I LOOOVE the sound of the rotor. It's even more noticeable on the aquanaut
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 05:05 AM   #18
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:

I totally understand. I would though recommend you give it a week or two - and if you feel the same way - go back to your AD and get something else!

Try a 5164 - it’s at a similar price point.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 05:23 AM   #19
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Man, I wish I had a 5711 to be disappointed with. lol.

Regardless what you paid, you should be able to get out. Best case, huge profit, worst case, out a few bucks.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 05:39 AM   #20
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

I actually love the sound (not noise lol) of the rotor spinning around. Seriously, this watch is absolutely glorious - especially the white piano dial. I also own those other brands. The 5711 is not a tool watch and the feeling is not the same as Rolex. The bracelet, OMG, is as pleasant on the wrist as it gets. Taste is subjective and it’s of course ok for you not to love it. In that case, just cash it in taking advantage of the massive hype. If you end up selling it, please charge very high to preserve the market value at the top (the current 5711 owners will thank you for that).
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 06:04 AM   #21
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

For me a long wait can take the fun out of a new piece / often leaves me feeling “over it”
But can’t agree with you on the 11 - it’s amazing. Flip lock is weak, agree
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 06:11 AM   #22
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Regardless what you paid, you should be able to get out. Best case, huge profit, worst case, out a few bucks.
Is the worst case scenario where OP gets mugged? Not sure I see a scenario where he loses money.
Old 18 July 2018, 06:36 AM   #23
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

The 5711 is a great watch. I love mine. But could any watch live up to the current hype and frenzy surrounding the 5711? Nope.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 06:59 AM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I know where you are coming from, I love the design but the blue dial was not as crisp as I'd like and the bracelet is very light, so the RG was the much better version for me, and maybe you too.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 07:00 AM   #25
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

it is the ultimate grail, masterpiece of horology, the "one", the only-should-be-application watch
Old 18 July 2018, 07:14 AM   #26
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I get the clasp part as it is really crappy, don't agree with the rest, if you just got it wait a little for a definitive idea, when I got my 5712 I had only Pams and Rolexes, so yeah the first few days were a little strange, but after I loved it so much that I couldn't stand the weight and lack of comfort of my other watches which I sold maybe * months after getting the 5712, wait a little as it needs a little getting used to, but would be surprised if you didn't love it, if you don't maybe you need a 5712 and not 5711, the 5712 is by far my favorite SS watch, I like the 5711 but no comparison
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 07:32 AM   #27
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

OP, have you seen the watch in person before purchasing it?

I know the hype excites a lot of people and people buy it sight unseen. If you purchased it at list price, just sell it for a profit and move on. I am sure over 50% of people purchasing a 5711/1A today are flipping it without wearing it.

I have seen the watch several times in person over the years and the watch never excited me, especially the somewhat "dull" blue-black dial. Online photos use photo editing to "enhance" the blue dial, but quite underwhelming in person.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 07:33 AM   #28
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
I hear you about the letdown. That's how I felt after finally getting a Daytona.

For the 5711, I love the rotor sound. I think the biggest complaint for those with bigger arms would be that the watch seems to dainty.

In that case, get the 5980/1R
Old 18 July 2018, 08:18 AM   #29
OP15
"TRF" Member

Sorry it’s been a letdown for you. I went to an AD and tried one on before the crazy hype and felt the same way. It just wasn’t for me. But to each his own. Now you just need to find the PP that speaks to you.
OP15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 08:34 AM   #30
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I have never had a grail before getting to really know the watch. I either knew someone that owned one or visited it at the jewelers several times to play with it.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote