The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 August 2018, 09:11 PM   #1
Onlyrolex
"TRF" Member

5711/1r

Hello I bought a 5711 in rose a few days ago and the first day I dinged it. It didn’t bother me with my gold sub. But it’s really getting to me that it’s not perfect. How long did it take you lot to knock your watch and has it done much damage?
Thank you
Onlyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 09:27 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I hate to use the over used and miss represented phrase, "It is what it is". Wear it and soon you will have other scratches and dings. Make it your own through wear and life experiences. When it is service time it will be polished and you can start all over again. Also, nice watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 09:27 PM   #3
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyrolex View Post
Hello I bought a 5711 in rose a few days ago and the first day I dinged it. It didn’t bother me with my gold sub. But it’s really getting to me that it’s not perfect. How long did it take you lot to knock your watch and has it done much damage?
Thank you
Congrats on the new piece, unfortunate but now it has a battle scar you can simply wear and enjoy.
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 09:41 PM   #4
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Thank you
Congrats on the 5711/1r, it’s a beautiful piece. The first ding / scratch is painful, but now you can wear and enjoy.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 11:22 PM   #5
soundserious
"TRF" Member

First cut is the deepest. There’s a song there somewhere...
Old 11 August 2018, 11:33 PM   #6
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
First cut is the deepest. There’s a song there somewhere...
As Cat would say
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 11:42 PM   #7
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Thank you
Ouch! Sorry to hear. Try not to keep looking at it and you may stop noticing it eventually.

I wear mine extra-careful and so far still pristine.
Old 11 August 2018, 11:56 PM   #8
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The bad news is dings cannot be fully polished out as they are too deep. The factory can gold fill but I understand no other PP service center does that. The key is to learn defensive wearing with your watch. It should become instinct to be aware of doors, objects and walls. I always move my left hand behind me upon approaching any door, object or person. I once really dinged a watch on a door jam. Never happened again. If you work at a desk, keep your work area free of paper clips and clasps. But frankly, desk/office work for a busy person is a disaster for any watch. Being on the phone reaching for stuff in a hurry, carrying files, you name it, causes impacts all day long on your watch. Leave the 5711r at home if you work in an office.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 12:19 AM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Let’s see a pic?
Old 12 August 2018, 01:00 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Had mine for 3 years now and it only has a couple of bezel marks as I wear it in rotation and do take care of it, but yes it will pick up marks easily as will any non ceramic piece really.

AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 01:02 AM   #11
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Had mine for 3 years now and it only has a couple of bezel marks as I wear it in rotation and do take care of it, but yes it will pick up marks easily as will any non ceramic piece really.

that looks beautiful still after three years. mine is six months old and looks definitely worse. here you have the real disadvantage of the nautilus series, they are very scratch prone. but since i got to dislike ceramic bezels i will make my rolex DD 40 my daily, the fluted bezel and the president bracelet are rather scratch resistant.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 01:08 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
that looks beautiful still after three years. mine is six months old and looks definitely worse. i got to dislike ceramic bezels and will make my rolex DD 40 my daily.
There are minor hairlines too that the camera never picks up and probably some on the pcls but I don't notice them any more, all in all I'm much less fussy about marks in the last year or so, just don't really care that much.
Old 12 August 2018, 01:58 AM   #13
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The bad news is dings cannot be fully polished out as they are too deep. The factory can gold fill but I understand no other PP service center does that. The key is to learn defensive wearing with your watch. It should become instinct to be aware of doors, objects and walls. I always move my left hand behind me upon approaching any door, object or person. I once really dinged a watch on a door jam. Never happened again. If you work at a desk, keep your work area free of paper clips and clasps. But frankly, desk/office work for a busy person is a disaster for any watch. Being on the phone reaching for stuff in a hurry, carrying files, you name it, causes impacts all day long on your watch. Leave the 5711r at home if you work in an office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
There are minor hairlines too that the camera never picks up and probably some on the pcls but I don't notice them any more, all in all I'm much less fussy about marks in the last year or so, just don't really care that much.
I think I have developed an un-natural OCD behaviour towards this watch. I will only wear it with long sleeve shirt or covered jacket when I go out. I will take all the precautions mentioned above and more. I even put a soft padding on the area before my computer keyboard in my office. And I even refuse to let any of my WIS friends handled them unless they sworn before hand they will handle it with the uptmost care.

Strangely I don't even do this to my APs or my the other Patek 5205R. But the 5711-1R is finished so perfectly that I take pleasure just spending time admiring all those beautiful surfaces on the watch in various lighting.
Old 12 August 2018, 02:12 AM   #14
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I think I have developed an un-natural OCD behaviour towards this watch. I will only wear it with long sleeve shirt or covered jacket when I go out. I will take all the precautions mentioned above and more. I even put a soft padding on the area before my computer keyboard in my office. And I even refuse to let any of my WIS friends handled them unless they sworn before hand they will handle it with the uptmost care.

Strangely I don't even do this to my APs or my the other Patek 5205R. But the 5711-1R is finished so perfectly that I take pleasure just spending time admiring all those beautiful surfaces on the watch in various lighting.
the scratch killer for me are night flights, even in business or first. and the macbook pro:::))))
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 04:33 AM   #15
Onlyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Let’s see a pic?
I had it removed today and the brushed metal on the link where he has polished it it’s started to shine. It’s a lot less noticeable than the ding it had. It’s just the fact that I know it’s there I hate how soft gold is. Considering getting the steel one. But I like the rose a lot better just have ocd about my watch being perfect. I have a hulk that even after a few months it looks great
Old 12 August 2018, 06:55 AM   #16
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
the scratch killer for me are night flights, even in business or first. and the macbook pro:::))))
And watch out for ladies too, those rings they wear will scratch.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 06:57 AM   #17
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Could we have a pic of said blemish
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 07:07 AM   #18
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

I'd relish the oppty to scratch/ding my own 11R soon someday.
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 07:43 AM   #19
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Congrats on the 5711! The scratches and dings will come.. you almost have to embrace them
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 10:42 AM   #20
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post

This is my general problem with the nautilus line.
Old 12 August 2018, 10:47 AM   #21
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

I need one so I can put a scratch on it too.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 01:18 PM   #22
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
There are not too many watches in any metal that won’t show a few hairline marks after wearing. These are easily removed. If I worried about every mark that happens I would just buy a GShock and be done with it.

We all know wrist presence is key to keeping our watches more pristine longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 August 2018, 05:38 PM   #23
Helmi
"TRF" Member

I wish they made them in tantalum. I find my fp journe chronometre blue very hard to scratch.
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 06:29 PM   #24
Hermann
"TRF" Member

The 5711R is a very beautiful piece!!!
Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 08:59 PM   #25
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
There are not too many watches in any metal that won’t show a few hairline marks after wearing. These are easily removed. If I worried about every mark that happens I would just buy a GShock and be done with it.

We all know wrist presence is key to keeping our watches more pristine longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes Kevin is right, the number of times a knock will mark RG but not SS is very minimal, ceramic is really the big difference, and lots of people have marks all over the SS bezel.
Old 12 August 2018, 09:41 PM   #26
Onlyrolex
"TRF" Member

I got it removed but as you can see where the brushed metal has been polished it’s started to shine it’s driving me crazy
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E285E23B-F9EB-490D-8128-3E055561E67C.jpeg (206.5 KB, 303 views)
Old 12 August 2018, 09:52 PM   #27
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
I got it removed but as you can see where the brushed metal has been polished it’s started to shine it’s driving me crazy
Congrats on the 5711R

Who removed the scratches for you? London Salon is very good at removing scratches.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 11:41 PM   #28
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
hmm, perhaps the 'naturally occuring' slight ding would've been better to live with than what now is clearly showing a 'man made' repair.

tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 12:08 AM   #29
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
1 scratch or ding is heartbreaking. 100 is a well loved watch. Get a few more scratches or dings as fast as you can and it won’t bug you anymore.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 12:22 AM   #30
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Congratulations on one great Patek!