The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 April 2019, 10:02 PM   #1
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Aqua Terra vs DJ 41

Who has been down this path? As both a ROLEX and OMEGA enthusiast I find myself in a position that I am sure some others have hashed out. The wife suggests we buy matching TT DJ's, at first I am in. Then as I deep dive it becomes clear that I can get an AT for nearly half price of a DJ 41 and every part of me seems to think the AT is a better watch and of course more for the $$$$. The biggest thing the DJ seems to have going for it is the ROLEX name. It is certainly a fine watch, no argument there, but I just can't see spending double for the coronet.

Anyone else been in this situation comparing the two?

Also as an aside I have an AT stainless so I am really familiar with the watch and maybe that makes me partial as well.
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 10:33 PM   #2
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
No doubt I love the AT and has got a superior movement, but in this situation I will still go for the DJ41. That's what I did. I got the Chocolate dial TT with fluted bezel, and jubilee bracelet.
Old 3 April 2019, 10:38 PM   #3
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Are you going to get a two tone AT? I own a DJ2 in blue with fluted bezel. I owned a white AT which I sold, my biggest regret. I would expect that the DJ will hold its value better. Other than that, especially if you don’t sell, it’s personal preference. I can see getting the AT at half the price.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 10:49 PM   #4
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Are you going to get a two tone AT? I own a DJ2 in blue with the fluted bezel. I owned a white AT which I sold, my biggest regret. I would expect that the DJ will hold its value better. Other than that, especially if you don’t sell, it’s personal preference. I can see getting the AT at half the price.
Yes, I want a TT, the value proposition is huge. I have an AT now that is the Silver face Golf Edition, I bought from DAVIDSW in MINT condition for $2500. I wear it more than my ROLEX. I figure I can get a TT AT grey for about $5500 or so, maybe a bit more. The DJ 41 is going to be about 10K or so. It is just hard to rationalize in my mind paying double for the ROLEX.
Old 3 April 2019, 11:01 PM   #5
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Personally, I would go AT.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 11:36 PM   #6
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Personally, I would go AT.
It is hard not to, I told the wife I can get an AT and have enough left over for a 7-day cruise to boot! If she really wants to make a celebration out of things, that is the way to go.
Old 4 April 2019, 02:39 AM   #7
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron62 View Post
Yes, I want a TT...
Just my two cents, but when I think of TT watches, I think of a DJ. Omega does a pretty good Constellation in TT, but I don't think there's a watch out there that works better as a TT watch than the DJ.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 04:30 AM   #8
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Very true and a very good point. The Omega may not scratch the TT itch, it actually occurred to me earlier that my vision of a TT includes a fluted bezel.
Old 4 April 2019, 09:21 AM   #9
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The trouble I find with nearly all Omega Co-Axials is their thickness. For some it’s a plus, but for me, especially when considering a watch like the Datejust as a comparison, the thickness of the AT is a deal breaker for me.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 01:46 PM   #10
SkipperSteve81
"TRF" Member

When I think TT I definitely think jubilee bracelet and fluited bezel. I have a sub and a speed master and am now also between DJ41 and the AT. Tried on the blue dial with rubber strap and it was one of the most comfortable watches I’ve ever worn. Great value too but keep coming back to the DJ due to it dressing up better and being a more timeless design.
SkipperSteve81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 01:10 PM   #11
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
I can relate a bit. For my first mechanical watch I was looking at a Rolex. While doing so, I read a bit.. being almost a total novice, and was fascinated by the Omega's technology. So, when I was close to buying a Rolex (we were in the Caribbean back then) I started talking with the Salesrep about Omegas. My wife was with me at the time, and yes, she would have a say. Though it was more visual for her.
Anyway, I ended up with a Seamaster AT. Till this day, it's my favorite watch. I love the looks and the workings still fascinate me. Since then I have purchased a Rolex,(GMT), Breit, and another Omega (Big Blue.) But, I'm still in love with the Seamaster.

Point of the story---- what do you like the most and why do you like it (both)? For me, name had very little in the choice. I bought the watch, not the name. You may value the name or want that different brand.

Good luck!

I admit, it's got to be tough for you, since you mentioned you already have that AT and the Rolex's are a lot more.
Old 10 May 2019, 06:39 AM   #12
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
AT for me.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 12:12 PM   #13
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
My AT 8500 has gone back to Omega three times in 7 years. Each time it’s the hour hand that isn’t jumping anymore and moving smoothly. The hand won’t move past 9 o’clock now. I’ve read that the issue is the hour wheel and quite common. Even though the watch was worked on in 2015 I was told the oils are now dry and it needs a full service along with new hands to the tune of $850. Omega is working with me on a discount, but I’m not too happy with them at the moment.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 02:20 PM   #14
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Tough call. My AT 2500 has been running perfectly for 13 years with only one service. Then again, my wife’s Datejust has also been running flawlessly for the past 6 years.

They’re both great watches, and they’re both great looking. I guess just go for the one that excites you the most when you look at it.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 12:19 AM   #15
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Ss at
tt dj41

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 01:43 PM   #16
mschafer
"TRF" Member

DJ in blue, maybe various sizes,but that's a versatile classic, budget be dammed...not a TT friend here btw.
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote