The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 April 2019, 01:44 AM   #1
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Where to purchase a Moonwatch

Pretty sure I'm headed towards the purchase of an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch within the next few months. I have a few options for where to purchase and wanted to get your expert opinions on which way to go.

I prefer to get the leather strap with deployant version over the bracelet version. I like the idea of having the OEM deployant because I would like to pick up a rallye strap in the future.

So here are the options:

Purchase new from my AD. Figure I can get 20% off tops from them. So I would be looking at $5,250 - 20% = $4,200

Another option is purchasing new from Jomashop. I lose the Omega warranty but get the inferior Jomashop warranty instead.
Current price $5,250 - 32% = $3,575

Third option is pick one up used from a TS on this site. In good shape with some part of Omega warranty left probably around $3,400 give or take.

Any thoughts on which way to go here? Thanks for your opinions!
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 02:07 AM   #2
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Pretty sure I'm headed towards the purchase of an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch within the next few months. I have a few options for where to purchase and wanted to get your expert opinions on which way to go.

I prefer to get the leather strap with deployant version over the bracelet version. I like the idea of having the OEM deployant because I would like to pick up a rallye strap in the future.

So here are the options:

Purchase new from my AD. Figure I can get 20% off tops from them. So I would be looking at $5,250 - 20% = $4,200

Another option is purchasing new from Jomashop. I lose the Omega warranty but get the inferior Jomashop warranty instead.
Current price $5,250 - 32% = $3,575

Third option is pick one up used from a TS on this site. In good shape with some part of Omega warranty left probably around $3,400 give or take.

Any thoughts on which way to go here? Thanks for your opinions!
Option 4 is to get a new one from one of the TS.

Even though you might prefer the strap over the bracelet. It's a lot easier to add an OEM deployant and straps later. That's what I did. The bracelet is much more expensive to buy after the fact. Deployants are easy and relatively cheap. I think I paid $225 from the Omega Boutique.

Plus there a lot of aftermarket straps you can find on ebay that fit the OEM deployant perfectly. No, they aren't going to as good as OEM straps, but straps are disposable. I'm been using aftermarket straps with the deployant for years. No issues at all and they are very cheap.
Old 16 April 2019, 02:10 AM   #3
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Option 4 is to get a new one from one of the TS.

Even though you might prefer the strap over the bracelet. It's a lot easier to add an OEM deployant and straps later. That's what I did. The bracelet is much more expensive to buy after the fact. Deployants are easy and relatively cheap. I think I paid $225 from the Omega Boutique.
Interesting. Do you know how much they charge for the leather strap and/or bracelet at the boutique?
Old 16 April 2019, 02:15 AM   #4
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting. Do you know how much they charge for the leather strap and/or bracelet at the boutique?
The only strap I was really interested in was the one with the most recent silver snoopy and I believe that was also around $225 but they only had the XL version when I asked. Might be wrong, but I asked about 6 months. I think the standard calf straps were around $160 and maybe close to $450 for the gator.

I've been wearing mine with the OEM deployment and aftermarket straps almost exclusively.

You might want to give a boutique a call and see what they have to say. They list the natos on the site, but not standard leather straps.
Old 16 April 2019, 02:38 AM   #5
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
The only strap I was really interested in was the one with the most recent silver snoopy and I believe that was also around $225 but they only had the XL version when I asked. Might be wrong, but I asked about 6 months. I think the standard calf straps were around $160 and maybe close to $450 for the gator.

I've been wearing mine with the OEM deployment and aftermarket straps almost exclusively.

You might want to give a boutique a call and see what they have to say. They list the natos on the site, but not standard leather straps.
Thanks I will do that. If I go the Jomashop route they are doing a much larger discount on the strap version than the bracelet version, so it still may work out cheaper to buy it on the strap and add the bracelet later. Ideally I'd lover the have the OEM gator, rallye, and bracelet if possible.
Old 16 April 2019, 02:45 AM   #6
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I bought mine from AD at around 20% off a few months ago. I didn't think the $600 or so in savings was worth going gray in this situation. Moonwatch is tremendous value to begin with in my opinion with its history.
Old 16 April 2019, 03:34 AM   #7
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I bought mine with bracelet last year from one of the TS’s here for less than the Jomashop price for strap you are quoting. I’m in the camp of buy with bracelet, add straps later. I had a custom stingray strap made for mine and bought an Omega tang buckle from the Boutique for around $250, don’t care about the deployment.
Just last week I had the Boutique add the adjustable clasp to my bracelet for $225. I love my Moonwatch.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 04:28 AM   #8
AndyK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
I would recommend buying from a trusted seller used, let the previous owner 'absorb the depreciation for you.
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 06:31 AM   #9
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
As for purchasing, I recommend any option except Jomashop. I think most will agree that a watch with documentation and warranty from the manufacturer is significantly more desirable than a watch without those.

As for your plan to buy a rallye strap for use with the OEM deployant supplied with a new Speedmaster, I recommend doing your homework ahead of time on exactly which rallye strap you will choose. The alligator strap that comes with the current reference Speedmaster Pro tapers to 16mm at the clasp, and I'll bet the Omega rallye strap you would purchase tapers to 18mm at the clasp. I recommend you check with an Omega Boutique or some other expert source.

The alligator strap and deployant are dynamite, and I wear my Speedmaster Pro that way, but if you want an Omega rallye strap to work with an Omega deployant then you're probably signing up to purchase an 18mm Omega deployant to go with it.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 06:37 AM   #10
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I bought mine with bracelet last year from one of the TS’s here for less than the Jomashop price for strap you are quoting. I’m in the camp of buy with bracelet, add straps later. I had a custom stingray strap made for mine and bought an Omega tang buckle from the Boutique for around $250, don’t care about the deployment.
Just last week I had the Boutique add the adjustable clasp to my bracelet for $225. I love my Moonwatch.
Hey now! You can't mention that stingray strap without posting a photo of it
Old 16 April 2019, 10:15 AM   #11
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
As for purchasing, I recommend any option except Jomashop. I think most will agree that a watch with documentation and warranty from the manufacturer is significantly more desirable than a watch without those.

As for your plan to buy a rallye strap for use with the OEM deployant supplied with a new Speedmaster, I recommend doing your homework ahead of time on exactly which rallye strap you will choose. The alligator strap that comes with the current reference Speedmaster Pro tapers to 16mm at the clasp, and I'll bet the Omega rallye strap you would purchase tapers to 18mm at the clasp. I recommend you check with an Omega Boutique or some other expert source.

The alligator strap and deployant are dynamite, and I wear my Speedmaster Pro that way, but if you want an Omega rallye strap to work with an Omega deployant then you're probably signing up to purchase an 18mm Omega deployant to go with it.

Thank you for this post. I knew the Omega rallye strap used an 18mm deployant, but I didn't realize the alligator strap was 16 at the clasp. Much appreciated!

Does anyone know the cost to purchase the Omega alligator strap and deployant? If it is fairly reasonable I may go the route you are all suggesting and buy on bracelet even though my preference would be to wear it on leather.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
Old 16 April 2019, 11:43 AM   #12
Onewatchguy82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite
orlando AD has a wait list
Onewatchguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 12:02 PM   #13
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Hey now! You can't mention that stingray strap without posting a photo of it
I've posted it here before. Straight 20mm with signed tang buckle from the Boutique. Full custom strap from Combat Straps aka Aaron BeSpoke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C7DFB925-FF06-49A1-86F5-10450765D06B.jpeg (100.6 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpeg 43E415D3-EF0E-41FA-8AF5-404B9C92B31E.jpeg (101.0 KB, 211 views)
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 12:09 PM   #14
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Does anyone know the cost to purchase the Omega alligator strap and deployant? If it is fairly reasonable I may go the route you are all suggesting and buy on bracelet even though my preference would be to wear it on leather.
I'm just going from memory, but I think Omega Boutiques get ~$375 for an alligator strap and ~$275 for the deployant clasp to go with it. A rallye strap in calfskin is probably more like $225.

If you keep an eye on the watch forum classifieds you can probably pick these up in unworn condition for ~$350 for the strap and deployant together.

There's a clasp upgrade for the bracelet that many members here have done, too. The bracelet's original clasp offers minimal micro-adjustment, but there is a clasp that comes on some Seamaster models that has an excellent, internal sliding micro-adjustment mechanism. Omega Boutiques can supply the clasp and a couple of end-links for ~$250. The adjustment is similar in range and function to Glidelock in a Rolex clasp.

Here's a thread with details:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=584973
Old 16 April 2019, 12:13 PM   #15
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I've posted it here before.
I know, but it's so darned cool I thought it deserved an encore
Old 16 April 2019, 05:32 PM   #16
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

I bought from a grey dealer on a bracelet. Additionally I bought 16mm and 18mm buckles (for 55 euros each), it opens up so many options with aftermarket straps.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote