The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 January 2019, 04:53 PM   #1
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
AD Visit

Stopped in for a visit today just to say “hi”. Geary’s has two official Rolex boutiques here on the “West Side”. The boutique that I visited today happens to be in my home town of Santa Monica. They’ve been opened for a little over a year now and seem to be doing well. The sales professionals here at Geary’s always have time to talk watches with potential customers and these people really do love the brand.

One interesting comment my contact there told me is that not one of Geary’s four locations has received a 116619 (Smurf) in over 8 months. He felt this was extremely peculiar due to he fact that they usually receive at least one a month between the four locations. I guess we will find out more in March. Also, the Geary’s Santa Monica location just got there very own Rolex certified watch technician with guaranteed service turn around time of three weeks. They also use this as incentive to purchase from them due to the fact that they are able to add a service to the purchaser. That’s a $700-800 savings. I myself am really excited that I have a Rolex certified technician that can work on my watches should I have any issue with them within walking distance from my home. Here are a few pics I took...

@jps3b
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 05:49 PM   #2
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Nice photos!!! When I was looking at watches back at the end of November the AD mentioned that the Smurf was becoming harder to get as well.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 07:05 PM   #3
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Nice photos!!! When I was looking at watches back at the end of November the AD mentioned that the Smurf was becoming harder to get as well.

Thanks. I asked the sales rep if the watch in the tray was a prop. He laughed and said “no, that’s somebody’s watch that’s in for service”. What a maroon

@jps3b
Old 30 January 2019, 12:02 AM   #4
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Thanks for posting this. It's good to hear about AD's that take pride in taking care of the customer. And the watchmaker part is just gravy.

Interesting about the Smurf. Hmm....
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 12:21 AM   #5
dbwork99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post

saw one in Sidney Thomas (NJ) yesterday
dbwork99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 12:23 AM   #6
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I'm quite frankly surprised that they ever got that many Smurfs, period. My local ADs (2) rarely carry any PM (a few TT) because they don't move.

Maybe there's more money in Santa Monica than here in the backwoods of NC.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 12:02 PM   #7
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Going to Beverly Hills first week of February. If I have time, I'll definitely pay them a visit. Still can't decide between WG Daytona or WG Day Date yet so I'm hoping they have both so I can try and compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
Stopped in for a visit today just to say “hi”. Geary’s has two official Rolex boutiques here on the “West Side”. The boutique that I visited today happens to be in my home town of Santa Monica. They’ve been opened for a little over a year now and seem to be doing well. The sales professionals here at Geary’s always have time to talk watches with potential customers and these people really do love the brand.

One interesting comment my contact there told me is that not one of Geary’s four locations has received a 116619 (Smurf) in over 8 months. He felt this was extremely peculiar due to he fact that they usually receive at least one a month between the four locations. I guess we will find out more in March. Also, the Geary’s Santa Monica location just got there very own Rolex certified watch technician with guaranteed service turn around time of three weeks. They also use this as incentive to purchase from them due to the fact that they are able to add a service to the purchaser. That’s a $700-800 savings. I myself am really excited that I have a Rolex certified technician that can work on my watches should I have any issue with them within walking distance from my home. Here are a few pics I took...

@jps3b
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 12:19 PM   #8
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Sounds like you have a great rapport with the AD. And it also sounds like they value their customers and take a pride in their business. Thanks for the report.

Other than the forums, my AD is a wonderful place for me to stop and talk watches, the only chance I get. And I am so grateful to feel welcomed and that my custom and appreciation of their shop is so well received.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 30 January 2019, 12:31 PM   #9
MiDoon
"TRF" Member

Still, the problem is you can't go in there and buy a watch. I have yet to see anyone that is able to pin down what exactly is going on. Ideas are all over the map. What really bothers me is that you can find trusted sellers who have what seems like an endless supply of brand new watches for sale at 20-50 percent markups. We can all speculate where these are coming from. Seems rather obvious to me.
MiDoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 01:08 PM   #10
goodolejr
2024 Pledge Member

Many thanks for the pics of the watchmaker's workspace. They're fantastic!

MiDoon - we're approaching 100% markup on a couple models.
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 01:33 PM   #11
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Maybe there's more money in Santa Monica than here in the backwoods of NC.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. SM is a very quaint little seaside town

@jps3b
Old 30 January 2019, 01:38 PM   #12
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edyu View Post
Going to Beverly Hills first week of February. If I have time, I'll definitely pay them a visit. Still can't decide between WG Daytona or WG Day Date yet so I'm hoping they have both so I can try and compare.

I hope you will be able to make it in. The manager John is one of the nicest people I know. It doesn’t surprise me that all his employees come off very warm and genuine. I don’t think he would put up with his employees treating potential clients poorly.

@jps3b
Old 30 January 2019, 01:42 PM   #13
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
Sounds like you have a great rapport with the AD. And it also sounds like they value their customers and take a pride in their business. Thanks for the report.

Other than the forums, my AD is a wonderful place for me to stop and talk watches, the only chance I get. And I am so grateful to feel welcomed and that my custom and appreciation of their shop is so well received.

Cheers,
Carl

Really great to hear Carl. With all the horror stories I read here on the forum, it’s refreshing to see another fellow member with a great relationship with his AD.

@jps3b
Old 30 January 2019, 01:44 PM   #14
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

He has to work behind a gigantic glass window??
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 01:45 PM   #15
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Great info for the local folks. Thanks for sharing.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 02:02 PM   #16
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
He has to work behind a gigantic glass window??

Ummmm. I think so. Probably so potential clients can watch the technician work on the watches and understand what really goes into fixing/servicing these remarkable timepieces.

@jps3b
Old 30 January 2019, 02:06 PM   #17
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
Great info for the local folks. Thanks for sharing.

Nice of you to say Richie. Thank you

@jps3b
Old 30 January 2019, 02:14 PM   #18
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbwork99 View Post
saw one in Sidney Thomas (NJ) yesterday
Yup also black exp II -Platona - Seadweller

&

An 8500 non sel polar 16570 they just started selling estate
Old 30 January 2019, 03:11 PM   #19
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hope you will be able to make it in. The manager John is one of the nicest people I know. It doesn’t surprise me that all his employees come off very warm and genuine. I don’t think he would put up with his employees treating potential clients poorly.

@jps3b
The BH manager is not the John. That's the Century City manager.
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 03:33 PM   #20
easterbunny
"TRF" Member

curious what they had in stock or display? any stunners?
easterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 03:42 PM   #21
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
The BH manager is not the John. That's the Century City manager.

Yes. Sorry. You are correct Sir. Although I thought John helped manage all of them. I know he was spending a lot of time in SM when it first opened. Thanks for the correction. I don’t want to mislead the members here on the forum.

@jps3b
Old 30 January 2019, 03:45 PM   #22
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterbunny View Post
curious what they had in stock or display? any stunners?

They had two 116618LB’s, two discontinued SkyDwellers and a “Wimbledon”, which I was told were a little hard to come by.

@jps3b
Old 30 January 2019, 03:46 PM   #23
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes. Sorry. You are correct Sir. Although I thought John helped manage all of them. I know he was spending a lot of time in SM when it first opened. Thanks for the correction. I don’t want to mislead the members here on the forum.

@jps3b
He is high up, you're correct. They would send him to Basel. I felt so bad watching him deteriorate for the last year. :(
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 03:52 PM   #24
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
He is high up, you're correct. They would send him to Basel. I felt so bad watching him deteriorate for the last year. :(

Yes. It was difficult as hell because he’s such a great guy. But the last few times I’ve seen him he’s looked and felt a lot better. So maybe he’s turned a corner. Let’s hope

@jps3b
Old 30 January 2019, 04:07 PM   #25
SoCal_Batman
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ BLNR | AK
Interesting, thanks for sharing as I’m in Santa Monica as well. For some reason I always pictured the service area to be a bit more of a sterile environment, but it’s nice to have options.

Also, take it with a grain of salt when they say they haven’t gotten a smurf in 8 months. I visited their Beverly Hills location back in October and there was a smurf in the case, I even tried it on. Probably an honest mistake but they had at least one.