The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 March 2020, 01:54 AM   #1
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Speedy Pro and Racing?

I'm curious if anyone has been in the same position as I am. The Speedy Pro was the watch that first made me interested in watches. I was 20, and became fixated on it, but wasn't in the financial position to buy. Fast forward 10-15 years, I can now buy nice watches, but everytime I've tried the Speedy Pro on I've been disappointed. I'm not sure if it's just a decade+ of building it up in my mind, but it just hasn't done it for me.

I've recently tried on the Racing and Moonphase models and love them.
They feel more premium, and I really like a product that puts a company's best foot forward. But part of me thinks that if I go ahead and get one of them, I'll never end up getting the moonwatch.

I know I have more thinking to do and need to decide for myself, but would any of you just get the Speedy Pro now and see if I grow to love it like I always thought I would? Or should I get one of the watches that grabs me more right now?
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 04:17 AM   #2
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I’m the same with the speedy. When I see one out and about it looks great. But the few times I went to buy one I walked out with either a Tudor or an Omega. I do respect the history. It’s an amazing watch. It’s just not for me. I prefer a better depth rating I guess. And I like a screw down crown.

Now the white dial racing is another story. I really like it a lot. I have handled them a few times at the AD. Amazing quality. Excellent bracelet. The quality of the racing blows away that of my Daytona. In fact I feel bad for people that buy the Daytona at $24,000 and haven’t considered the omega.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 10:51 AM   #3
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Nothing wrong with that. Tastes change over the years, and so does the quality of watch manufacturing. Comparing a classic Speedy with modern Speedmasters will leave most people preferring the newer ones, they’re technically superior in every way.

I love my old Speedy pro, but mostly for nostalgic reasons, and comfort reasons (it’s really thin and light compared to the racing and moonphase models you mentioned).

Don’t fall for that overused phrase “every collection needs a Speedmaster.” Every collection needs ONLY the watches that you absolutely love.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 10:40 PM   #4
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
No issues with a watch that does not work for you. There are so many out there that will, just focus on them. I own a Speedmaster Racing and much prefer it to the Professional. Just a preference not a statement on quality or anything else. Go get what you like and enjoy the watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 12:33 AM   #5
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
I’m the same with the speedy. When I see one out and about it looks great. But the few times I went to buy one I walked out with either a Tudor or an Omega. I do respect the history. It’s an amazing watch. It’s just not for me. I prefer a better depth rating I guess. And I like a screw down crown.

Now the white dial racing is another story. I really like it a lot. I have handled them a few times at the AD. Amazing quality. Excellent bracelet. The quality of the racing blows away that of my Daytona. In fact I feel bad for people that buy the Daytona at $24,000 and haven’t considered the omega.
Same. I've tried to buy the Speedy twice and have ended up with two Tudors instead. I originally was looking at the black/orange racing, but went to an AD late yesterday afternoon and really looked hard at the white. Just a gorgeous dial. I really like the texture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I love my old Speedy pro, but mostly for nostalgic reasons, and comfort reasons (it’s really thin and light compared to the racing and moonphase models you mentioned).

Don’t fall for that overused phrase “every collection needs a Speedmaster.” Every collection needs ONLY the watches that you absolutely love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
No issues with a watch that does not work for you. There are so many out there that will, just focus on them. I own a Speedmaster Racing and much prefer it to the Professional. Just a preference not a statement on quality or anything else. Go get what you like and enjoy the watch.
I appreciate the responses. I slept on it, and I'm definitely getting one of the two racing models. With the new movement, it's actually a bit thinner than the Professional, and my favorite feature of the Tudor GMT is the jumping hours feature. It makes traveling a breeze. I love that the Racing offers that as well.

Now it's just time to decide on White/Black and post an incoming!
Old 2 March 2020, 12:35 AM   #6
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
ut everytime I've tried the Speedy Pro on I've been disappointed. I'm not sure if it's just a decade+ of building it up in my mind, but it just hasn't done it for me.

I'm similar. For some reason the speedy pro doesn't do it for me when it's on my wrist. I love some of the LE or special editions but can't justify the money to buy one. Whenever I try on the Speedy pro I get drawn back to Omegas diver lineup

Old 2 March 2020, 01:03 AM   #7
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

When you handle a speedy pro, you are holding a watch that was designed in and for a different era. That's why it may feel less impressive in your hands or on your wrist. That's all it is.

The racing and moonphase speedies are top notch for today's standards.

Get the one that one that makes you smile.
Old 2 March 2020, 06:46 AM   #8
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Buy and wear what you like. Maybe some day your feelings about the Speedmaster Pro will change and you'll have one, but for now, buy and wear what you like.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 09:29 PM   #9
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A picture of my Spedmaster Racing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200126_124627 (002).jpg (249.8 KB, 514 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 10:30 PM   #10
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I wore my speedy pro yesterday, every time I put it one I am amazed and what a great looking watch it is. Driving down the road I can’t help but stare at the raised hesalite when the sun hits the steering wheel. It is such an amazing watch, nothing compares in the chrono world to it.
Old 3 March 2020, 10:47 PM   #11
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Don't buy one if its not working for you. It is a great watch but it is a modern old watch. If the truly modern ones do it more for you go with one of them. I felt this way about a JLC Reverso and IWC Pilot. I want to love them and I want to own them but when I put them on my wrist they just leave me a bit cold so I take a pass.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 04:53 AM   #12
cgaites
"TRF" Member

Personally, I don't really see this as an issue. The Pro and the Racing are so different that they both have a place in a collection. One is a vintage watch from before mechanical watches became luxury items that you happen to still be able to buy new. One is a modern luxury watch. If you truly catch the Speedy bug after buying the Racing, then I suspect you'll eventually own the Pro too. If you just end up liking nice watches rather than Speedys specifically, then the Racing is a great one that stands on its own.
cgaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 01:27 PM   #13
Justindo
"TRF" Member

My Speedy Pro never disappoints but if it doesn't speak to you it doesn't speak to you.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 11:51 PM   #14
jmed
"TRF" Member

Had a similar quandary years ago, i saw the Gemini IV in person at a dealer and passed on it as I thought it just didn’t compare to my Rolex watches, and manual wind....are you kidding me. Fast forward many years later, what a mistake I made, I still love that watch and wished I’d purchased when it was attainable/affordable new in box. As of a month ago I now own a new Pro Moonwatch Hesalite.......I absolutely love it, gets more wrist time than any other watch maybe because it’s new, it’s not as heavy, doesn’t have sapphire crystal, is manual wind compared to my Rolex watches and my Seamasters but I absolutely love it, so much in fact my Daytona hasn’t seen the light of day since I’ve had it. Like some have said buy what speaks to you, don’t buy because of what you’ve heard. Tastes change over time, if you don’t get it now you may come back to it years down the road.
jmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 12:29 PM   #15
SPMN
"TRF" Member

I'm getting excited! I just agreed to a trade for the white-dialed Racing model. I hope to have the watch by the end of the week. Thank you all again for holding my hand and letting me know that it's okay to get another Speedmaster model before the Moonwatch.

I went back and forth over the past week between the black-dial with orange markers (my initial favorite) and the white one. I figured that I'll give the white a shot first. It's coming on a bracelet, but I have a feeling it'll look great with the black strap with orange cutouts.

I'll post pics as soon as I have it.
Old 9 March 2020, 09:04 AM   #16
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

My son just bought a Racing and he loves it. That coaxial movement is outstanding.
Old 15 March 2020, 05:22 AM   #17
SPMN
"TRF" Member

All right, thanks again for helping me decide! I went with the white Racing model. Reports of the size of this watch are overblown. Is it a large watch? Yes. Is it a big or massive watch? No. It wears very similar to the Tudor Black Bay GMT.

I thought long and hard about which model to get, the black dial w/ orange accents or this white dial. At first I didn't want the white one because I was worried the look was too close to the Daytona, but after spending some time with it those thoughts just melted away. The texture on the dial is absolutely beautiful in person. The photos I've attached don't do it justice at all. It is stunning and remarkably well-proportioned on the wrist.

The bracelet feel superb, and the adjustable clasp obviously gives a perfect fit. I'll give it a full review down the road, but I'm very pleased with the watch so far.
Old 15 March 2020, 05:25 AM   #18
SPMN
"TRF" Member

It might be slightly too big for my dog’s wrist, but I think he could pull it off at the dog park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 March 2020, 05:27 AM   #19
ZOOK
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations! Excellent choice.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 09:44 PM   #20
Clark
"TRF" Member

one of my favorites. congratulations!!
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 10:25 PM   #21
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Awesome watch, love it in white
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2020, 06:10 AM   #22
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Awesome watch, love it in white
Your moonphase became the number one impediment to me buying this watch a week earlier. I just love that watch and agonized between the two of them. I may very well end up adding that one to my collection next.

Old 17 March 2020, 06:11 AM   #23
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
Your moonphase became the number one impediment to me buying this watch a week earlier. I just love that watch and agonized between the two of them. I may very well end up adding that one to my collection next.

Well you know the only answer to that dilemma right? BOTH!
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2020, 07:10 AM   #24
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Gorgeous watch!! Congratulations. I agree with your choice. That really is a nice watch.
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2020, 01:29 PM   #25
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
Looks fantastic!
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 01:30 AM   #26
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

If they did the moonphase on a bracelet I might pull the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 03:11 AM   #27
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
If they did the moonphase on a bracelet I might pull the trigger.

A little enabling

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...30430445201001

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 01:07 AM   #28
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinjimmy View Post
A little enabling

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...30430445201001

I'm sorry. I meant to clarify that it was the blue dial that I preferred however that black dial sure has me thinking.

Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 01:41 AM   #29
drjrhc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Calibre 11 Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
I'm sorry. I meant to clarify that it was the blue dial that I preferred however that black dial sure has me thinking.

You could always source the bracelet and have both options.

I prefer straps over bracelet.

Jason
drjrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 06:07 AM   #30
gejay99
"TRF" Member

Looks good