The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 27 August 2019, 09:51 PM   #1
Toutoune
"TRF" Member

Allergic to my Panerai?

Hello everyone,

Long story short:

- bought a 590 in July 2017
- wore it for a few months and then stopped wearing it
- wore it again sometimes in 2018 and stored it again
- bought an OEM rubber strap this summer so decided to use this as an excuse to wear it again now

Now for the weird part: A red circle on my wrist appeared after a few days. It is located just where the watch is on my wrist and it’s roughly the same size of it.

- Can we all of a sudden become allergic to steel?
- I was wearing another steel watch all summer and nothing happened. Could it be the steel they use to manufacture PAMs? But then why didn’t I get this before?
- The watch being stored in a watch box with some sort of cushions wrapped in some random fabric, could it be a reaction due to the “long exposition” of the back of the watch to the fabric? Then again why only with this watch?

Kind of a boring topic I know but the wife is not ready for this additional topic on watches.

Thanks.

T
Toutoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 12:30 AM   #2
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Wash the watch well with Dawn dish soap. Your body chemicals can change with your diet or activity level. My guess is you are temporarily hyper sensitive right now. There is nothing in the 316L steel that should set you off unless you are suddenly sensitive to nickel.
That said other watches would set you off as well. I am a fan of washing my watches daily as it keeps them and the straps looking new. I’m hate to say it but if you are getting allergic to steel then you will want to trade up to a ceramic or even Carbotech Panerai. Tell your Wife it is for “health reasons”.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 03:57 AM   #3
synequano
Banned

FYI,titanium is also hypoallergenic

I can’t comment on the allergies but it happened to me once then I washed my watch using hand soap and wear it as usual,the rash went after 2-3 days...

Nowadays I wear mostly titanium and composite watch with display back,never had any allergic reaction again
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 05:08 AM   #4
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
It can also be fungus. They like it when it is dirty and moist.
Try cleaning it thoroughly and wear it on your other arm(if you have one...) for a while until the rash goes away.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 05:23 AM   #5
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
When you list your watch for sale, definitely put this in the description. Haha
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 05:33 AM   #6
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I am a physician, though I am not a dermatologist. In general, you can become allergic to things at any point in your life. It's less likely, but possible. Typically people are allergic to the nickel content in steel not really the other components. It is also plausible that the reaction you had could have been due to any sort of irritant on the caseback.

Usual, typical physician disclaimer... These are generalizations and do not replace medical evaluation.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 07:39 PM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Could you have worn something else on your wrist that actually caused a bit of friction, possibly unnoticed, then strapped the large Panerai to you wrist which caused it to spread?
Old 28 August 2019, 08:39 PM   #8
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Who says it is a allergy? I would show the marks to a dermatologist and let him Judge what it is
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:48 PM   #9
Toutoune
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your answers. I was going to go this route (cleaning of the watch and wearing it again after a few days without it) you confirmed it was the best solution for the moment (before telling the wife I should go titanium/carbotech now) ��

Watch is already super clean but I guess with the temperature it could be something invisible.

Regarding the other questions: didn’t wear anything else on this wrist except the watch + the « mark » is an exact reproduction of the case back on my wrist (minus all the engravings...).

Cheers

T
Toutoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:52 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
... hate to say it but if you are getting allergic to steel then you will want to trade up to a ceramic or even Carbotech Panerai. Tell your Wife it is for “health reasons”.
Best advice here
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 10:13 PM   #11
nick c
Banned

Send the watch my way I’ll check it on my wrist.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 11:24 PM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

my wife is intermittently allergic to her Rolex. Its fine for a long time and then all of a sudden she will get a rash. Usually its when its hot out and she is being active wearing it.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 01:19 AM   #13
Euge
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Watches
Try it on the other wrist to see if you have the same “allergy”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 10:14 AM   #14
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
my wife is intermittently allergic to her Rolex. Its fine for a long time and then all of a sudden she will get a rash. Usually its when its hot out and she is being active wearing it.
Weird, my wife has the same problem but it only happens with Rolex.
Old 29 August 2019, 11:16 AM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsiao View Post
Weird, my wife has the same problem but it only happens with Rolex.
mine too. she had a cartier tank as her only watch for years. Never happened. Happens with the yacht master though as that's what she wears most often now. Doesn't happen with her JLC either but that one is on a leather strap
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote