The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 September 2019, 03:20 AM   #1
Kirk19
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II BLNR
Rolex situation

Hey guys

Been to 3 dealers this weekend, 2 of them in Antwerp (the diamond city of the world) and one near my hometown. Seems like the situation is worsening in Europe even more... In Antwerp I just got a big NO when enquiring for popular Steel Sports models, they were borderline rude even. Outside Antwerp the dealer near my hometown added me to the hulk waitlist, got quoted a whopping 7 years. they tried to steer me away from a sub and offered me a YM but I refused :-). I already got the new batman on the jubilee bracelet an a no date sub, both acquired at retail from AD's in the last 12 months. Sales guy said SS GMT wait was almost as bad as the daytona waitlists... (around 10-12 years)
I consider myself very lucky to have two popular models already...

So in short, I feel the situation is even worse when compared to my visits last year...

Greetings from Belgium!
Kirk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 03:22 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i disagree. same, not worse. It seems worse because it's sustained. Kind of like day 3 on a diet seems worse than day 1 because you haven't had enough food for 3 days now but you ate the same thing all the days. Its a cumulative effect on perception
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 03:28 AM   #3
mattsrs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
IMO it's getting better. I bought a no date Sub as walk in customer by just asking if they have if in the safe.
mattsrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 03:32 AM   #4
Kirk19
"TRF" Member

I truly can not remember it was this bad in 2018. I also walked in and asked for a sub, as a newbie I was not really aware of the situation at that time. I had a choice then between a date sub or a no date sub... Those days are gone here !!
Old 16 September 2019, 03:50 AM   #5
Kevain
"TRF" Member

I remember in January calling all stores in Antwerp for either an Explorer or Air King and already back then it was a simple no on the Explorer and a full deposit for the AK to be delivered anywhere between one and three months.

Called the boutique in Brussels and picked up the Explorer the same day. Could have had the Air King too, but ended up choosing the Explorer.

The staff was much kinder in Brussels. Unfortunately, because I would much rather shop at home in Antwerp ��
Kevain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 04:44 AM   #6
Kirk19
"TRF" Member

re

I have been to Brussels too last weekend, all waitlist for popular SS models closed there but they would consider adding me from January 2020. They were very helpful in Brussels. Antwerp was just flat out rude
Old 16 September 2019, 05:04 AM   #7
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk19 View Post
Hey guys

Been to 3 dealers this weekend, 2 of them in Antwerp (the diamond city of the world) and one near my hometown. Seems like the situation is worsening in Europe even more... In Antwerp I just got a big NO when enquiring for popular Steel Sports models, they were borderline rude even. Outside Antwerp the dealer near my hometown added me to the hulk waitlist, got quoted a whopping 7 years. they tried to steer me away from a sub and offered me a YM but I refused :-). I already got the new batman on the jubilee bracelet an a no date sub, both acquired at retail from AD's in the last 12 months. Sales guy said SS GMT wait was almost as bad as the daytona waitlists... (around 10-12 years)
I consider myself very lucky to have two popular models already...

So in short, I feel the situation is even worse when compared to my visits last year...

Greetings from Belgium!

Your best bet is to ask for your next piece where you bought your batgirl and sub, not shop around. You have some history there, and are a client already, so they should at least be nice and try to get you something someday. Otherwise you are like any other punter off the street at those new AD's.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 05:32 AM   #8
samsmart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Tint
Only two 40mm sport models in the case at a well know Dallas AD I visited yesterday..

My buddy owns this particular AD.

He actually offered a crazy discount on the 116618, but I passed - for now at least.

He claims to not have anything in the vault. And has many theories of what's going on, but i dont think even he has the right answer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
samsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 05:38 AM   #9
shawn13ca
"TRF" Member

Easy. You go the the Omega or Grand Seiko store on the other side of the street. Buy a nice piece. Come back to the Rolex store to show them how great your GS or Omega is and tell them it's too sad you weren't able to do business together. Asking, begging, waiting playing the Rolex game. When enough people will do that, the ADs are going to phone Rolex quite a lot to correct the situation. Vote with your feet.
shawn13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 06:04 AM   #10
ThatExplorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Went into an AD 3 days ago, called before hand regarding a DJ. Showed up met with the manager small talk etc... Mentioned I missed my 214270, but stated I understood the demand for the SS sports models, and being this was not my usual AD I was a new no name customer.

Anyways salesman finnaly came over, showed me 2 DJ36mm (white roman/ black roman), and then states he might have an Explorer in the back if I would be interested in taking a look but no pressure to buy. Anyways I went home with a new explorer that day.

Friend or not, they have stock in the back, the salesman showed me an "company email" stating that all SS sports models should be held and allocated to perfered customers with previous buying history. He did also say that "we may have more in the back that if a certain customer comes in, its a no brainer to give them what they want"... Sucks but its the world we are in. If you want new you need to have the relationship and buying history.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
ThatExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 06:56 AM   #11
sambb
"TRF" Member

when economy or stock market falters, watches will be more available, as will be preowned cars, homes, etc.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 11:44 AM   #12
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i disagree. same, not worse. It seems worse because it's sustained. Kind of like day 3 on a diet seems worse than day 1 because you haven't had enough food for 3 days now but you ate the same thing all the days. Its a cumulative effect on perception
agreed
Atone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 11:46 AM   #13
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
It’s a situation now huh...how dare they.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 01:38 PM   #14
StackLexus17
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
Only two 40mm sport models in the case at a well know Dallas AD I visited yesterday..

My buddy owns this particular AD.

He actually offered a crazy discount on the 116618, but I passed - for now at least.

He claims to not have anything in the vault. And has many theories of what's going on, but i dont think even he has the right answer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What Dallas AD is this?
Curious as I’m located just north of downtown area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 September 2019, 06:32 PM   #15
James Nye 1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114300 White
I still consider myself lucky when I walked out the shop with a OP 39 White Dial. 12 Month waiting list in my local AD. In the window of another AD 40 miles from home.
James Nye 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 06:59 PM   #16
58junior
"TRF" Member

That rose gold and steel yachtmaster is a beautiful watch. I would have jumped on that one.
58junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 07:15 PM   #17
playford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58junior View Post
That rose gold and steel yachtmaster is a beautiful watch. I would have jumped on that one.
It's the bezel on those YM's, really needs updated. A nice new ceramic bezel and that would be CHNR territory.
playford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 08:31 PM   #18
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
IMO it's getting better. I bought a no date Sub as walk in customer by just asking if they have if in the safe.
USA is easier than UK/EUR
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 08:52 PM   #19
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk19 View Post
Hey guys Been to 3 dealers this weekend, 2 of them in Antwerp, In Antwerp I just got a big NO when enquiring for popular Steel Sports models, they were borderline rude even. Outside Antwerp the dealer near my hometown added me to the hulk waitlist, got quoted a whopping 7 years. they tried to steer me away from a sub and offered me a YM but I refused :-). I already got the new batman on the jubilee bracelet an a no date sub, both acquired at retail from AD's in the last 12 months. Sales guy said SS GMT wait was almost as bad as the daytona waitlists... (around 10-12 years).
Greetings from Belgium!
I have on order
1. A Daytona 116508 18k Green dial
2. Another Day Date 128238 green dial with diamonds
3. One brown croc strap for a Sky Dweller
4. One 63600 Jubilee bracelet

Here is the joke with this Rolex watch company who finally
has solved the removal of the protective stickers problem
...simple...NO WATCHES ...to remove them from...

Maybe in May delivery ..the cute assistant tells me every 25 days
Maybe In June now...Or July...Or August...Or September...

Can you imagine ordering a Mercedes or BMW or Hyundai
and the dealership would give you the runaround about delivery
..just because they are....Clueless ...when the order will arrive ?

Same story In all five continents
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 09:06 PM   #20
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The watch you want will be along at some point, in some form. You may pay over, under or MSRP. But it won't be today (probably), so enjoy life and don't lose any sleep. Personally, I wouldn't buy a watch I don't want because I couldn't buy a watch I do want. But that's just me. I know what I want. That's all the motivation I need.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 12:50 AM   #21
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by playford View Post
It's the bezel on those YM's, really needs updated. A nice new ceramic bezel and that would be CHNR territory.
I don't believe you'll see that on a YM ever. That would turn it into a Sub and take away its major defining characteristic. Someone who wants a TT YM with ceramic bezel would... just buy a TT Sub...
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 01:01 AM   #22
Montremoi
"TRF" Member

Europe being a big continent (just like America), it would be wiser to refer your experience as being a Belgian issue. Perhaps the situation is better in other parts of Europe.
Montremoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 09:34 AM   #23
58junior
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
I don't believe you'll see that on a YM ever. That would turn it into a Sub and take away its major defining characteristic. Someone who wants a TT YM with ceramic bezel would... just buy a TT Sub...
Yes! That big chunk of rose gold on the chocolate dial yactmaster reminds of frosting on a cupcake! In a very good way!

Forget all those overpriced unavailable stainless steel models at 20-50% grey markup!

Go for the gold... that i$ where it’s going to be at.
58junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 09:50 AM   #24
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montremoi View Post
Europe being a big continent (just like America), it would be wiser to refer your experience as being a Belgian issue. Perhaps the situation is better in other parts of Europe.
Austria, Czech Republic and Switzerland dry.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 10:48 AM   #25
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Was in Brussels last week and no Explorer or any SS sports. Drought.

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Ricky Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 10:50 AM   #26
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Buy 90s and 2000s models.....good value much easier to get. Kermit is on my wrist
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 11:02 AM   #27
DTap
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agree, I think it’s very much by ad. I believe some put everything in the case and others sell it all to greys or hoard for vips.
DTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 02:36 AM   #28
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Quote:
Well, it´s no better here in Hamburg, Germany. As of last Friday the 3 big Rolex ADs here have no SS sports models...
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 04:53 AM   #29
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well it is not based on my travels and shopping experiences.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 05:14 AM   #30
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
Your best bet is to ask for your next piece where you bought your batgirl and sub, not shop around. You have some history there, and are a client already, so they should at least be nice and try to get you something someday. Otherwise you are like any other punter off the street at those new AD's.

Yep...in this environment, not sure why you are walking around. Dance with the one (AD) you are with and ask for hard to get pieces from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Monty22 is offline   Reply With Quote