The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 September 2019, 07:00 AM   #151
timedate
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i think i can count the number of phone calls on one hand i get in a month. I text my wife and thats it as far as messaging.

For me a phone is so much more than a talking/texting device.

It controls my house, unlocks my car, email, contains my wallet, music, etc

Its pretty cool to basically walk around with every song ever recorded (or at least every song you would want to actually listen to) and being able to play it with a simple voice command with apple music and an internet connection.

i won't deny the brilliance of them, and without a doubt they are here to stay,

i should have got those ap*le shares 20 years ago, and while i was thinking about it, a few of those ama*on shares would have been a good idea aswell.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 07:08 AM   #152
RatDog19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Care to elaborate about your Samsung rants? Or is this just click-bait? Loyal Samsung user here just wondering the jist of your gripe.
I don't really see how the thread could be click-bait when I was asking if anyone else was interested with the soon-to-be-released iPhone, with the rant about Samsung as a secondary point, but..... I bought the SGS10+ days after it came out. I have an Otterbox on it and haven't dropped it once. A couple weeks after my return policy expired, the reception would go from anywhere from one to five bars, to nothing. The bars were replaced with the null symbol. Five to ten minutes later it would come back, but still, this was not an uncommon occurrence. I looked online for possible ways to remedy the problem as there are multiple articles online about this problem. Reboot, tried it. Soft reset, tried it. Software update, tried it. SIM card eject clean and reseat, tried it. Nothing worked. Best Buy wouldn't do anything since it was outside their warranty period (can't blame them). Samsung said they would replace it for a refurbished model, but wouldn't budge when I requested a new one. I used to be a loyal Sony user but switched to Samsung years ago. Now I have my 11 Pro Max pre-ordered and am switching to Apple. I did opt for the Apple Care+, so there shouldn't be any problems. Hope this answers your question.
RatDog19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 07:09 AM   #153
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatDog19 View Post
I've been badly burned recently by Samsung customer service, .
thank god it was only the customer service that burned you
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 08:46 AM   #154
Kneecough
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thank god it was only the customer service that burned you
Kneecough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 03:54 PM   #155
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I have to say the dumbest move I made last year was buying a surface pro.

Thought it was fine then bought the wife a new MacBook Air and bought myself one a month later. Say what you want but damn apple makes good shit.
Old 15 September 2019, 04:25 PM   #156
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
i think i can count the number of phone calls on one hand i get in a month. I text my wife and thats it as far as messaging.

For me a phone is so much more than a talking/texting device.

It controls my house, unlocks my car, email, contains my wallet, music, etc

Its pretty cool to basically walk around with every song ever recorded (or at least every song you would want to actually listen to) and being able to play it with a simple voice command with apple music and an internet connection.
That pretty much sums up me, well, it doesn't open my car, but all the other things you mention.

I find that most flagship phones are a much of a muchness now, they all can do basically the same things, it is just that they go about it in different ways. I prefer the Android way but when I get my hearing aid, I may change to an iPhone because I have been told that they work better together. (I haven't researched it though).

I am nearly 63 and my grown up kids just roll their eyes when I show them another feature that this magical device has and can do. Of course, they just use all these features all the time, I'm just amazed when I find something new it can do.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 05:39 PM   #157
timedate
-

you say you barely use it to make calls, that adds up, as when you look around, people are not talking, either to each other, or on the actual phone.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 11:07 PM   #158
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post
you say you barely use it to make calls, that adds up, as when you look around, people are not talking, either to each other, or on the actual phone.
living in London for so long, even people not on the phone dont talk.

no service in the tube between stations and the only peep you hear from people is from tourists. I do think when people read a newspaper old school style its more anti-social because you cover your entire face up vs someone on an electronic device with headphones on. Those people at least make eye contact
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 17 September 2019, 11:13 AM   #159
PeqFB
"TRF" Member

Rumor is they are shipping already and could come earlier then Friday
PeqFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 11:23 AM   #160
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeqFB View Post
Usually they get held at the FEDEX/UPS hubs before final delivery....that's what happen in the past. Maybe this year will be different.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:53 PM   #161
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Well after leaving iPhones in late 2013 I was finally called back by Apple, mostly because of the gesture controls and then because of that cool green color, I'm simple lols.

I think I'm gonna regret it though. My Note has some seriously cool features just not on iPhones, like having a YouTube or amazon window up top and WhatsApp on the bottom while I text, chat or call.
It's very useful having two apps open simultaneously. There's also the always on display, its incredibly useful to just glance over at the phone and see time and notifications plus, I color code the notification light for different contacts so I know whos who just at a glance. The lack of an app drawer or customizable home screen is another pita.

Anyway, it'll be an adjustment but there are other things I like within Apple, if it fails, good thing is that iPhones hold value a bit better on trade-in so I'll jump ship back to the Note 11 next year.
Here's hoping I like it though. Worst case I'll just go with both.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 10:46 PM   #162
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I have to say the dumbest move I made last year was buying a surface pro.

Thought it was fine then bought the wife a new MacBook Air and bought myself one a month later. Say what you want but damn apple makes good shit.
I still use my 2012 MacBook Air quite a bit. Runs perfectly, starts up fast, and no issues. I also still bring my 2007 iPod classic on flights with me so I don’t burn through my phone battery before I get to my destination. I agree they make good stuff.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 11:14 PM   #163
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
my case arrived yesterday. still nothing on the phone
Old 18 September 2019, 12:19 AM   #164
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
It'll be interesting to hear how you guys like your new 11 Pro's

I think the iOS13 is coming out on the 19th for everyone do download. I'll be at least downloading that to my 7+ to get all the latest software features.

As for computers, I still use a Thinkpad T61 I bought new back in late 2007 LOL I use it everyday and have not replaced ANYTHING on it ( minus new batteries every few years ).

Been seriously looking at the new Macbook Pro's though. I'd like to integrate everything Apple at some point. Just all my files/documents, etc are all on my laptop and transferring everything over will be a PITA. That and I'm very doubtful a Mac will last nearly as long as my Thinkpad has.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 12:31 AM   #165
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
^^Just got an email from IT advising us NOT to download the new software on the 19th...

Still no update on my pro max shipping either...
Old 18 September 2019, 12:33 AM   #166
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
^^Just got an email from IT advising us NOT to download the new software on the 19th...

Haven’t heard this, but I always wait before downloading a new iOS. Most times it’s seamless but I don’t want to be the first to find out its flawed.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 12:35 AM   #167
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:

They probably just need to make sure their management profile works with it beforehand.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 01:45 AM   #168
sco
"TRF" Member

Not positive but I think I need to download iOS 13 to my current phone so when I backup and restore to the new phone the correct software is in place.
Old 18 September 2019, 01:57 AM   #169
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
Not positive but I think I need to download iOS 13 to my current phone so when I backup and restore to the new phone the correct software is in place.
It shouldn’t be necessary to update to iOS 13 before doing a backup and then a restore on your new IPhone. But may be worth doing to get used to the changes in 13.
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 02:01 AM   #170
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 02:39 AM   #171
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Apple has not sent out shipping notifications yet, but you can go to ups and track by reference number (phone number or order number with last 2 digits removed).

My iPhone 11 pro is scheduled to be delivered on Friday
Old 18 September 2019, 02:50 AM   #172
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They always seem to make it on launch day. I wouldn't worry.

My dad's still just says arriving on Friday. No shipment notification yet.
Old 18 September 2019, 03:35 AM   #173
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

No you should not do that. But make sure you are at least on iOS 12.4

Also, don’t be surprised if you are prompted to do an iOS 13 update on the old phone.

Just make sure you are backed-up to either iCloud or your PC/laptop.

You will be using the migration tool that takes care of transferring data. Just in case you hadn’t seen it before: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210216

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 03:49 AM   #174
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Also, don’t be surprised if you are prompted to do an iOS 13 update on the old phone.

You will be using the migration tool that takes care of transferring data. Just in case you hadn’t seen it before: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210216

transferring to a new phone drives me nuts. I do a full backup on my computer first, and it still never puts everything on the new phone. Seems to be that if its in the cloud or available that way i dont get it. I like all my music physically on my device and i have to manually do it after the fact. Files are there, just not the download of it and i have to do it via wifi not a physical connection
Old 18 September 2019, 04:10 AM   #175
77T

Quote:
transferring to a new phone drives me nuts. I do a full backup on my computer first, and it still never puts everything on the new phone. Seems to be that if its in the cloud or available that way i dont get it. I like all my music physically on my device and i have to manually do it after the fact. Files are there, just not the download of it.

See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209568

Yes that’s been true in the past and now may even be more true. iOS 13 has some new wrinkles like updating Apps.

Old 18 September 2019, 06:10 AM   #176
PeqFB
"TRF" Member

I got my tracking number, order processed, waiting for UPS. Shipping from Fresno so hopefully they will release it today.
PeqFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 06:12 AM   #177
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
I got my tracking number, order processed, waiting for UPS. Shipping from Fresno so hopefully they will release it today.
Apple isn't direct shipping from China this year?

They'll probably hold it, then ship overnight to arrive on Fri. That way they know it won't get delivered early by mistake.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 06:18 AM   #178
sco
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I thought in the past I ran into issues with the backup not running the same ios as the new phone... maybe I'm mistaken.

I'll do a backup to my mac and to the cloud. Then pull everything from the cloud and sync the music with the mac.

Do you know if the migration tool transfers the entire music library (old ripped cd's and downloads)?
Old 18 September 2019, 06:36 AM   #179
77T

Upcoming iPhone 11 Release

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I thought in the past I ran into issues with the backup not running the same ios as the new phone... maybe I'm mistaken.

I'll do a backup to my mac and to the cloud. Then pull everything from the cloud and sync the music with the mac.

Do you know if the migration tool transfers the entire music library (old ripped cd's and downloads)?

No it won’t do all music, podcasts and downloads.

You can read more in the 2nd link I posted.

I have done dozens of upgrades for myself and family and there is always some little hiccup if you have a lot of settings beyond the default. The reason is each new iOS may handle some personalization twist a little differently that its predecessor.

On your pre-migration process, I suggest a few steps before the 2 backups you mentioned. (I do agree with a backup to Mac + iCloud just in case).

My pre-backup suggestions are:
1. Update your Mac’s iTunes app to current version.
2. Sync all photo, video, music and files stored on the old iPhone (not those in iCloud) via iTunes to your Mac.
3. Update all Apps on the old iPhone that need it.
4. Force quit all Apps on the old iPhone (yes, I know the Apple help desk says otherwise)
5. Reset network settings on old iPhone.
6. Reboot the old iPhone.
7. Do your backups to Mac and iCloud (I suggest all these pre-backup steps so you get the cleanest backup possible)

If that sounds like prepping for a colonoscopy, you’re not far wrong. The iPhone Apps that store partial data and other processes can cause a backup to have corrupted data and/or backup segments.

Remember the reason we back-up is to have a perfect copy just in case the old phone fails to do its part during a migration. In such cases, the new iPhone can always be built from that back-up. And you don’t want bad data going into the new iPhone.

BTW, probably goes without saying but if you’re running a jailbreak- you must revert to a clean iOS install.

Old 18 September 2019, 07:01 AM   #180
sco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No it won’t do all music, podcasts and downloads.

You can read more in the 2nd link I posted.

I have done dozens of upgrades for myself and family and there is always some little hiccup if you have a lot of settings beyond the default. The reason is each new iOS may handle some personalization twist a little differently that its predecessor.

On your pre-migration process, I suggest a few steps before the 2 backups you mentioned. (I do agree with a backup to Mac + iCloud just in case).

My pre-backup suggestions are:
1. Update your Mac’s iTunes app to current version.
2. Sync all photo, video, music and files stored on the old iPhone (not those in iCloud) via iTunes to your Mac.
3. Update all Apps on the old iPhone that need it.
4. Force quit all Apps on the old iPhone (yes, I know the Apple help desk says otherwise)
5. Reset network settings on old iPhone.
6. Reboot the old iPhone.
7. Do your backups to Mac and iCloud (I suggest all these pre-backup steps so you get the cleanest backup possible)

If that sounds like prepping for a colonoscopy, you’re not far wrong. The iPhone Apps that store partial data and other processes can cause a backup to have corrupted data and/or backup segments.

Remember the reason we back-up is to have a perfect copy just in case the old phone fails to do its part during a migration. In such cases, the new iPhone can always be built from that back-up. And you don’t want bad data going into the new iPhone.

BTW, probably goes without saying but if you’re running a jailbreak- you must revert to a clean iOS install.

Thank you so much. I usually have it under control when switching to new phones, but you're right, there is always something.