The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 13 August 2019, 04:44 PM   #1
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
How tight to tighten crown

As the title states how tight should one crank down on the crown after winding, I guess crank down is a bad term to use.

All my watches have threaded crowns and I’ve always just unthreaded them to set the current time and date then after I’m done setting time I push the crown in and turn gently backwards until it clicks to ensure the threads are lined up then go forward to tighten and I usually tighten until it stops turning, well now I’ve read that going all the way down until it’s snug is incorrect some advise to go until snug then back off 1/8-1/4 of a turn but I’m thinking that could let water in, they say turning until snug can damage the threads on the crown stem.

I have never had any part of a watch apart so I have no idea what the inside of a crown looks like, I’m sure there designed differently on the inside form one maker to the next and my small collection consists of a Rolex DJII, Omega Seamaster, Tudor BB and Citizens Eco-Drive so looking for some general guidelines on what should be a simple task.

I know I don’t want water on the inside of any watch I have but I also don’t want to damage anything by over tightening the crown and possibly stripping the threads or damaging the gaskets

Thanks
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 06:12 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Just close it with your thumb and forefinger.

No need for any force.

Or back it off until the crown is where you want it.

It will make no difference to the water resistance of a twin or triplock.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 06:19 PM   #3
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Just close it with your thumb and forefinger.

No need for any force.

Or back it off until the crown is where you want it.

It will make no difference to the water resistance of a twin or triplock.
So closing until it stops will be ok ? Like I said once it stops or bottoms out I stop turning and I just use the tips of my thumb and forefinger and I don’t crank down hard

Thanks for your input
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Old 14 August 2019, 12:51 AM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
So closing until it stops will be ok ? Like I said once it stops or bottoms out I stop turning and I just use the tips of my thumb and forefinger and I don’t crank down hard

Thanks for your input
I agree with your technique. This is how a screw-down crown is meant to be used.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 01:39 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
. . .

I know I don’t want water on the inside of any watch I have but I also don’t want to damage anything by over tightening the crown and possibly stripping the threads or damaging the gaskets

Thanks
There isn't a screw down crown made where the gasket in the crown is the only method of sealing out water, but it is still a sealing surface. You also cannot strip or damage the threads without some serious over-torqueing, but you will eventually damage the gasket.

You always want the gasket to contact the sealing surface, that's the point, and you always want some level of "crush" to set the seal. Snug is an appropriate term, or finger tight.
However, you never have to unscrew the crown as some sort of final adjustment; that just doesn't pass the ho-ho test.
Old 14 August 2019, 01:59 AM   #6
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There isn't a screw down crown made where the gasket in the crown is the only method of sealing out water, but it is still a sealing surface. You also cannot strip or damage the threads without some serious over-torqueing, but you will eventually damage the gasket.

You always want the gasket to contact the sealing surface, that's the point, and you always want some level of "crush" to set the seal. Snug is an appropriate term, or finger tight.
However, you never have to unscrew the crown as some sort of final adjustment; that just doesn't pass the ho-ho test.
Thanks to you sir and everyone else for the correct way, I will go finger tight until it’s snug and just use the tips of my finger and as you said once it’s seated it does not seem to make sense to unscrew it even alittle so I will go with a light touch until it stops turning and is snug and be done.
Old 14 August 2019, 03:51 AM   #7
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
... that just doesn't pass the ho-ho test.
The ho-ho test? Sorry if it's been discussed before, but I must know what the ho-ho test is
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 03:59 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
The ho-ho test? Sorry if it's been discussed before, but I must know what the ho-ho test is
It's a technical engineering term. It is equal to the also highly technical "smell test", however that particular test is more exacting and requires a specialized tool.
Old 14 August 2019, 08:30 AM   #9
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's a technical engineering term. It is equal to the also highly technical "smell test", however that particular test is more exacting and requires a specialized tool.
Lol
Old 8 September 2019, 06:33 AM   #10
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
...and I noticed in my 116613LB the crown closes differently. Sometimes the crown sits at 2 o'clock sometimes at 5'.

Then when I flip it on it's back case I see that the thread has not completely sunk in.

Normal, or should it be tightened more so no thread is exposed?

Cheers

It's just all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconvenience we have to deal with.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 01:04 PM   #11
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoniman View Post
...and I noticed in my 116613LB the crown closes differently. Sometimes the crown sits at 2 o'clock sometimes at 5'.

Then when I flip it on it's back case I see that the thread has not completely sunk in.

Normal, or should it be tightened more so no thread is exposed?

Cheers

It's just all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconvenience we have to deal with.
From my very limited knowledge of talking to a few watch techs locally and the great resources available right here you are supposed to lightly snug the crown down until it stops and you are not supposed to crank down hard, a local repair guy here advised just use the tips of thumb and forefinger to thread closed and I watched him do it and he always starts by using slight downward pressure and goes CCW first the CW and when I asked he advised he does this to ensure the threads line up and go gentle and by doing this you will not have any issues.

I’m not sure any threads should be showing unless the seal in the crown is not fully seated.
Old 8 September 2019, 01:13 PM   #12
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Thank you.
I remember Bas saying to stop turning once it is snug.

Also, when I unscrew the crown to wind I can see the first small gasket around the thread.

Cheers

yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote