The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 September 2019, 11:39 PM   #1
Daddy_Terj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachmaster
Thoughts on rubber strap and appropriate attire

As a Yacht-master owner (16622 Platinum/Steel) I'm quite taken with the Yacht-master 42 (White Gold/Black), but it's a way outside the budget.

Instead, and to try and get a similar look, I'm thinking of purchasing a SS Submariner, and retro-fit a Rubber B strap, which supports the Rolex clasp. Additionally 40mm sits better on my wrist... so happy days!!!

Now... could a rubber strap with business dress (suit, tie, cufflinks), or even dinner dress be considered a fashion faux paus? My inclination is to think not, especially since the YMs in precious metal sit on rubber and I really think the Sub can pull it off whatever the ocassion.

p.s. after I've got the Sub, I'm going to trade my YM 16622 for a 116622 (Blue/Steel). Having now owned both, the Platinum is indeed a fantastic piece, but the blue just edges it for me for versatility and most importantly it's WOW factor!
Daddy_Terj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 11:54 PM   #2
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
I think that the Rubber B, Oysterflex, or anything in that family lends itself to a more "sporty" appearance, less of a dress situation. Even more so with the Sub/Diver look.

I have seen some guys on the forum who have retrofitted their Subs and they look good but I do not know how versatile that is with a dress outfit. If you are going to retrofit wouldn't you have the bracelet still? Then if needed, you can change the strap if you need to dress it up with the bracelet.

However, there is no rule on what to wear or not wear with dress attire anymore. I have seen guys in suits with orange bands on their Aquanauts, huge Hublots, and everything else in between. So, do what makes you happy and I wouldn't worry about it.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 11:59 PM   #3
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I think if it's conservative enough setting where it's black tie and tux only, then no to the rubber. With a suit, I think the world is casual enough that you could pull this off.

You could always say you're way ahead of your time like with Vegans and animal friendly people to go with rubber...
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:01 AM   #4
Houston77
"TRF" Member

I think you could pull it off with a suit, but I wouldn't feel right wearing a rubbing strap with a suit.
Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:01 AM   #5
DJTOSUB
"TRF" Member

#1 The short answer is that you should wear what you like.

#2 IMO, if you are sitting at the yacht club having dinner in your nice linen jacket, the rubber strap would look sporty and fun. However, if you are meeting with important clients in dress business attire, the rubber strap would be out of place.

#3 If you are sill confused refer to #1 above.
DJTOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:03 AM   #6
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Totally fine in this day and age of i watches and fitness trackers with suits.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:07 AM   #7
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Thoughts on rubber strap and appropriate attire

Rubber straps with suits are totally fine, IMO. I wouldn’t personally wear it with formal attire - but that’s just me.

I’ve worn MANY different watches with formal attire though - including Subs and GMTs!!

You’re the only one who has to like it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:22 AM   #8
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

My YM40 on rubber for your inspiration

dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:31 AM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_Terj View Post
Now... could a rubber strap with business dress (suit, tie, cufflinks), or even dinner dress be considered a fashion faux paus?
Are you in a fashion show?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:40 AM   #10
Daddy_Terj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Are you in a fashion show?
what a ridiculous question
Old 10 September 2019, 12:40 AM   #11
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
As a Yacht-master owner (16622 Platinum/Steel) I'm quite taken with the Yacht-master 42 (White Gold/Black), but it's a way outside the budget.

Instead, and to try and get a similar look, I'm thinking of purchasing a SS Submariner, and retro-fit a Rubber B strap, which supports the Rolex clasp. Additionally 40mm sits better on my wrist... so happy days!!!

Now... could a rubber strap with business dress (suit, tie, cufflinks), or even dinner dress be considered a fashion faux paus? My inclination is to think not, especially since the YMs in precious metal sit on rubber and I really think the Sub can pull it off whatever the ocassion.

p.s. after I've got the Sub, I'm going to trade my YM 16622 for a 116622 (Blue/Steel). Having now owned both, the Platinum is indeed a fantastic piece, but the blue just edges it for me for versatility and most importantly it's WOW factor!

Two things:

1) You can wear any watch you like with a suit, whatever you are comfortable with. That being said, a suit, tie and cufflinks sounds very dressy and a 40mm or less thin dress watch on leather is what's more appropriate imo. The Sub on rubber is very casual to me. Any mod is unusual and even more casual imo too.

2) Don't trade your watch to a dealer (I know broken record right?). You will sell at wholesale and buy at market retail. The dealer will butt hurt you coming and going. If you must sell, sell on your own at full market. Best option is to make thoughtful purchases to start and keep your beautiful watches. You will regret selling Rolex brother, everyone does!
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:42 AM   #12
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Don't overthink it.

Nobody cares.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:43 AM   #13
Daddy_Terj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxbtousa View Post
My YM40 on rubber for your inspiration

Interesting combo. I really love the originality of the dial on this YM variant.

Any tips on a good Dubai outlets for what I'm looking for?
Old 10 September 2019, 01:08 AM   #14
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
It’s funny, I remember during the financial meltdown Tim Geithner, Hank Paulson, and George Bush all wore pedestrian watches under their suits.

Geithner wears a Timex Triathlon. George Bush wore a Timex Indeglo. And Paulson wore a Nike sport watch. All with plastic/rubber straps.

There is no problem wearing a rubber strap under more dressy clothing now. But I would find it weird under a tux.

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 01:18 AM   #15
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

Rubber is great, especially in warmer weather. I don't think I would wear the explorer II with a suit though. Maybe with the oyster bracelet or if the strap were black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4092.JPG (268.3 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1384 copy.JPG (74.4 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg exII.jpg (134.2 KB, 301 views)
joerivers1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 01:25 AM   #16
robalderman
"TRF" Member

I’ve got a blue rubber Everest on my sea dweller, and I love it. I’ve also got a 43mm 50th coming my way in 3 months, and I’ve considered the rubber b strap for that one also, where the red line on the strap matches the red text on the dial.

robalderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 01:40 AM   #17
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
It’s funny, I remember during the financial meltdown Tim Geithner, Hank Paulson, and George Bush all wore pedestrian watches under their suits.

Geithner wears a Timex Triathlon. George Bush wore a Timex Indeglo. And Paulson wore a Nike sport watch. All with plastic/rubber straps.

There is no problem wearing a rubber strap under more dressy clothing now. But I would find it weird under a tux.

But this was just for show. "Look everyone we're the common man. We're just like you. We're not Wall Street insiders that helped destroy the financial system."

When anyone (especially in the US) runs for office or is in the govt they usually put away the bling.
Old 10 September 2019, 01:46 AM   #18
Daddy_Terj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Don't overthink it.

Nobody cares.
Tool!
Old 10 September 2019, 01:52 AM   #19
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Tool!
I didn't mean nobody here cares, I mean the public doesn't even see our watches and really doesn't care what and with what we wear them.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10 September 2019, 01:53 AM   #20
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
There's no rules with watches and attire any longer.

Besides, use the excuse everyone uses if you are self conscious about your watch; it has sentimental value to you; can also be used with Happy Socks or ugly ties.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 02:28 AM   #21
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting combo. I really love the originality of the dial on this YM variant.

Any tips on a good Dubai outlets for what I'm looking for?
Just realized you are UAE. I have a few extra horus, including this blue one if you want to take a look. Could be willing to part with one or the other if you are interested. Send me a PM with your number.

Re : outlets nope, I order everything. For straps it’s either Horus, Everest, or RubberB
dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 02:32 AM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Thoughts on rubber strap and appropriate attire?
Right back at you!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 02:37 AM   #23
Cesium137
Banned

I probably wouldn’t wear a rubber strap with cuff links. But then again, I probably wouldn’t wear a bracelet with cuff links either.
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 05:30 AM   #24
RatDog19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
Two things:

1) You can wear any watch you like with a suit, whatever you are comfortable with. That being said, a suit, tie and cufflinks sounds very dressy and a 40mm or less thin dress watch on leather is what's more appropriate imo. The Sub on rubber is very casual to me. Any mod is unusual and even more casual imo too.

2) Don't trade your watch to a dealer (I know broken record right?). You will sell at wholesale and buy at market retail. The dealer will butt hurt you coming and going. If you must sell, sell on your own at full market. Best option is to make thoughtful purchases to start and keep your beautiful watches. You will regret selling Rolex brother, everyone does!
Butt hurt? Really? You give a person on this forum fashion advice and then use this lude reference? I'm not an old-timer to this forum but certainly know who's out of place.
RatDog19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 05:43 AM   #25
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
this thread is very umm....interesting....

OP, rubber is awesome. Most of my watches are on rubber. I far prefer it as an option. I am not a very formal person but I think you can wear it anywhere.

Depends on the strap of course. But a subtle blue...easy. Black, no question. Red or sky blue. No.

In the end, I agree with the others. Truly its just a watch. Most people are far more concerned with themselves than judging you over your choice of rubber strap.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 05:56 AM   #26
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:

Also, Mr. Wonderful wears a red Rubber B on all his watches — obviously, with suits.

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 06:58 AM   #27
calatravaquanautilus
"TRF" Member

I think rubber strap with suit can look ok

calatravaquanautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 07:28 AM   #28
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would hardly consider any of these ideal examples.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 07:35 AM   #29
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I'm always an advocate to wear what you want, when you want. And wear like you own it.

The only thing I don't like about rubber straps w/ long sleeve shirts is the rubber caughting on the cuff.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 08:07 AM   #30
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that Brian was joking.