The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 September 2006, 12:54 PM   #1
johnliley
2024 Pledge Member

Texas Timex and the difference......

This morning I went to watch my daughters play at their soccer games. Before I left I went through my collection of watches and decided to wear my black bezeled SS GMT II.

Now I know this has happened before to some of you. Upon arrival I saw a SS/18kt black faced sub, a Omega JB new Co-axial GMT and no shit 3 black bezeled SS GMT II's just like my own. So at 9am in suburban Salt Lake City we had a convergance of 4 SS GMT II's.

The funny thing was I am in sales and I watch people because it is second nature. The only WIS besides myself was the Omega guy as I commented on his cool new Co-Axial. I mentioned it that way on purpose to see if he'd take the bait and he did. He told me he wanted a JB but always wanted a GMT watch and when this baby came out the decision was made for him.

My thing is this. I always wanted a Rolex because I always wanted a Rolex. Not to show people I was in a different tax bracket but because I wanted one. Now you will see many Rolexes out there. Some guys buy one to show off. Some find it a milestone in their life and that I respect. I bought one because it was a Rolex and the aforementioned I wanted a Rolex. Thats why I bought the second one, and the third and so on...

So it doesn't bother me that my watch is not "exclusive" because I have that. I'll wear a DOXA or Glycine AIRMAN next week to be exclusive...

I guess some people don't know what they have in their Texas Timex........

Maybe that is what bothers me like wearing white after Labor Day or something or the fact that people don't know that either.. :)

Thx.

JL
johnliley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 01:00 PM   #2
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I hear ya, John Believe me, I'm not in a different tax bracket than most. Mine was a big purchase for me and just means something to ME For those who don't appreciate the soul of their watch, whether it be a Rolex, Omega or a Patek, I feel a little bad for them. They really just don't get it and have no idea how much they're missing out on
Old 24 September 2006, 05:51 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good post, John. I've seen your excellent collection in one of your pictorial posts and truly love it. You are one of those guys who appreciate these fine time pieces for what they are.

And, you're right about always wanting a Rolex....I think most of us here do too!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote