The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 December 2017, 04:20 AM   #1
Wishbone82
"TRF" Member

Nomos Minimatik or Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control

Hello guys!

This is my first post here so please bear with me. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question, so I’ll try to be as concise as I can.

I recently made a big change in my lifestyle by becoming a minimalist, reducing my earthly possessions to a bare minimum. During the years I had acquired a rather eclectic accumulation (I wouldn’t go as far as calling it a collection) of modern and vintage watches, all of which I managed to sell since I didn't retain any emotional attachment to any of them.

Now I am in need of this ONE and ONLY watch that will be by my side for many years to come. I had already made up my mind about getting the beautiful Nomos Minimatik and be happy with it till the rest of my minimalist life when Jaeger-LeCoultre introduced their new Master Control Date with a sector dial during SIHH 2007. I have always considered the Master Control line to be a bit too serious for me but the new sector dial suddenly ticked many boxes. Obviously it is more expensive than the Minimatik, but if I get it on the grey market it will still be just within the upper limit of my budget.

Just to make it clear, I am not trying to compare Jaeger-LeCoultre and Nomos as companies, that would obviously be comparing apples to oranges. I'm trying to compare JLC most affordable model and one of Nomos' most advance movements. What I am looking for here is long lasting value and quality since I don't plan to flip or buy a new watch in a very long time. The cost of servicing these watches might also be an issue here.

The problem is that I have never been so torn between two purchase options!

So is it now down to DUW 3001 vs. Caliber 899/1?
I admire the technical innovativeness of DUW 3001, but is it better than the basic (and also the JLC most affordable) Caliber 899/1?

I am no expert when it come to watch movements so I will truly appreciate if more knowledgeable members here share their opinion on these two movements!
  • Is the JLC Cal. 899/1 uni-directional rotor with ceramic bearings better than Nomos DUW 3001 bi-directional rotor?
  • Is the JLC Cal. 899/1 free sprung balance better than DUW 3001 own Regulatory system on their balance?

I have never been so torn between two choices! Please, break the tie for me!
Wishbone82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 07:43 AM   #2
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Forget everything you've asked about.

Try them on, if at all possible. The one that makes you feel happy is the one to get.

Both are nice. I don't think you'll find real differences in accuracy or reliability. The finishing overall will be just a bit better on the JLC, but to be honest, that is only important if it is important to you.

I would say to get the JLC if that is within budget and it's what you really want. I have a JLC MUT Moon and it's a classy watch. There is a feeling of history and quality there, which I like. This is really the entry level to haute horology, while the Nomos is a little below that.

But, I look forward to having a Nomos someday!
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 09:59 AM   #3
Wishbone82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Forget everything you've asked about.

Try them on, if at all possible. The one that makes you feel happy is the one to get.

Both are nice. I don't think you'll find real differences in accuracy or reliability. The finishing overall will be just a bit better on the JLC, but to be honest, that is only important if it is important to you.

I would say to get the JLC if that is within budget and it's what you really want. I have a JLC MUT Moon and it's a classy watch. There is a feeling of history and quality there, which I like. This is really the entry level to haute horology, while the Nomos is a little below that.

But, I look forward to having a Nomos someday!
Thanks Kunlun! What you said at the beginning makes a lot of sense! I guess I have to find a way to try them both (harder with Nomos though). Lately I have been worried that my 6.25 inch wrist might be too small for the JLS MC after all! Let's see .
Old 7 December 2017, 11:19 AM   #4
Star Ferry
Banned

I don't see either brand as minimalist. Maybe the design appears mimimalist, but both are luxury brands

If it's your only watch, I'd go for the Nomos Club. Cheaper, hand winding, lume, water resistance
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 10:17 PM   #5
Wishbone82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I don't see either brand as minimalist. Maybe the design appears mimimalist, but both are luxury brands

If it's your only watch, I'd go for the Nomos Club. Cheaper, hand winding, lume, water resistance
Thanks for the recommendation Star Ferry! I'll certainly look into the club again.
And actually one of the principles of minimalism is paring down to the essentials and not accumulating things. I see a reliable, high quality watch as essential if I want it to last a lifetime. The luxury branding of both of them is just an image.
Old 8 December 2017, 07:54 PM   #6
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone82 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation Star Ferry! I'll certainly look into the club again.
And actually one of the principles of minimalism is paring down to the essentials and not accumulating things. I see a reliable, high quality watch as essential if I want it to last a lifetime. The luxury branding of both of them is just an image.
if ease of service is a big factor for you, then it might be worth looking at an ETA based watch -- like the Black Bay 36, or an IWC Mark pilot

Nomos hand wind movement (used in the Club) is a beauty though

Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 09:21 PM   #7
Wishbone82
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Star Ferry;8095117]if ease of service is a big factor for you, then it might be worth looking at an ETA based watch -- like the Black Bay 36, or an IWC Mark pilot

Nomos hand wind movement (used in the Club) is a beauty though

I agree completely that the Alpha movement is a beauty in it's simplicity! However, if it's going to be a Nomos, I'd rather have the DUW 3001. I can't help but admire the technical superiority of this movement!

And by ease of service I wanted to get some info in order to compare the Nomos and JLC servicing costs and waiting times. Nomos is pretty transparent about their servicing prices on their website but I suspect that JLC would charge much more. I read somewhere that a regular service there would cost somewhere between $700 and $1000 (well, that sounds about right since they charge $400 for a replacement strap!!!)