The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 February 2006, 11:55 PM   #1
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Just Love Rolex

Over the weekend, I was able to visit Kyoto and Osaka. Could browse a few watch shops and dept stores. Great eye candy. They had AP, JLC, VC, PP, Cartier, Omega, UN, Breguet, Blancpain, GP, and FM. Great stuff to look at.

But as I was browsing, one thought kept coming to mind. If I were going to spend that much money, I'd rather get a Rolex. Now I know that many of those other brands may be considered better watches, but I know Rolex and am comfortable with them. Perhaps I spend too much time lurking around Rolex forums and it has brainwashed me. But Rolex is familiar in a comfortable type of way.

To be honest, the practical side of me also likes the fact that Rolex can hold its own on the resale market too.

I looked at the Cartier Roadster and the Santos, but just thought, if given the choice, I'd strap on a Datejust instead.

The phrase, "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." comes to mind. In much the same way, those other watches sure were fun to look at, some of them were beautiful, but in the end, I'm happy to wear a Rolex.

Although there are no plans to buy another Rolex in the near future, my window shopping might change that.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2006, 12:21 AM   #2
PRH
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG DD
Mr K wrote
Quote:
To be honest, the practical side of me also likes the fact that Rolex can hold its own on the resale market too.
Totally agree, now on my 3rd and 4th Rolex and when I upgraded, each time never made a loss on the the resale

I spend too much time window shopping at watches but still love the Rolex shop just wish I could afford my dream watch, the DD in platinum, without "she who must be obeyed" stringing me up by the parts that would make my eyes water
PRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2006, 12:33 AM   #3
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I agree with you, Mark. There is just something about Rolex that keeps drawing you back to them. I don't much care about resale value, because I buy mine to keep. I couldn't get rid of any of my Rolexes (nor, frankly, any of my other watches). But the Rolex just feels comfortable on the wrist, like the proverbial old shoe.

Vive la Rolex.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2006, 12:36 AM   #4
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Great post Mark, with some really good thoughts put into it. Makes perfect sense to me why you like the brand so much.

I, on the other hand, really don't feel that way at all towards it.

Just a personal feeling. I love my YM, but partially why I do is because I never see them around here.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2006, 01:21 AM   #5
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Great post Mark, with some really good thoughts put into it. Makes perfect sense to me why you like the brand so much.

I, on the other hand, really don't feel that way at all towards it.

Just a personal feeling. I love my YM, but partially why I do is because I never see them around here.
I agree Daren.....if anything when I go look at watches, I think "Why would I spend so much on a Rolex when I could get something else for that kind of money?"

LOL - that's the great part about this hobby - choices for all kinds of different tastes.
Old 16 February 2006, 01:46 AM   #6
Atomic

As much as I love my ExpII, I dont think another Rolex is in my future, unless I win the lottery (at which point I would get a YM).

But like Al, I look at the price tag and figure I could get something more interesting, more stealthy and more WIS-like for the same $$ or less.

Great watches, but not the end all and be all for me.
Old 16 February 2006, 03:24 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Great post, Mark...you're my kinda guy!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2006, 09:22 AM   #8
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
As much as I love my ExpII, I dont think another Rolex is in my future, unless I win the lottery (at which point I would get a YM).
:
Exactly the same thing here Johnny Rolesium, to be exact
Old 16 February 2006, 11:08 AM   #9
mineral
"TRF" Member

Life is short,

Should get more Rolexs!
mineral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2006, 09:48 PM   #10
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

I guess for me it feels like a good fit. I guess Rolex was always my first true watch love. But the prices are getting up there and I like to buy BNIB, so I too would like to win the lotto.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2006, 11:45 PM   #11
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
Exactly the same thing here Johnny Rolesium, to be exact

Paulie, you're a man of taste and style. If I win, I'll see if I can get a deal on two rolesiums.
Old 17 February 2006, 12:25 AM   #12
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Paulie, you're a man of taste and style. If I win, I'll see if I can get a deal on two rolesiums.
Same here pal With the powerball up to $345M tomorrow, I'm going to buy a few more tickets than normal.

BTW, I have a great AD who would welcome us with open arms if we were to but two of those

Last edited by mailman; 17 February 2006 at 12:28 AM..
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2006, 03:21 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Same here pal With the powerball up to $345M tomorrow, I'm going to buy a few more tickets than normal.

BTW, I have a great AD who would welcome us with open arms if we were to but two of those
Betcha that AD has a lot of cleavage!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 17 February 2006, 03:34 AM   #14
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Betcha that AD has a lot of cleavage!!
Unfortunatly no They just likes to take care of their customers. No matter if they're buying a Rolex, gold, or gemstones, they're a class act

Last edited by mailman; 17 February 2006 at 03:34 AM..
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2006, 03:49 AM   #15
Atomic

Quote:

It's a deal!
Old 23 September 2006, 08:37 PM   #16
jhnnyjr100

Watch: DJ turn o graph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
Over the weekend, I was able to visit Kyoto and Osaka. Could browse a few watch shops and dept stores. Great eye candy. They had AP, JLC, VC, PP, Cartier, Omega, UN, Breguet, Blancpain, GP, and FM. Great stuff to look at.

But as I was browsing, one thought kept coming to mind. If I were going to spend that much money, I'd rather get a Rolex. Now I know that many of those other brands may be considered better watches, but I know Rolex and am comfortable with them. Perhaps I spend too much time lurking around Rolex forums and it has brainwashed me. But Rolex is familiar in a comfortable type of way.

I looked at the Cartier Roadster and the Santos, but just thought, if given the choice, I'd strap on a Datejust instead.

The phrase, "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." comes to mind. In much the same way, those other watches sure were fun to look at, some of them were beautiful, but in the end, I'm happy to wear a Rolex.

Although there are no plans to buy another Rolex in the near future, my window shopping might change that.
Hey Guys (& gals?) WHICH of those brands may be considered better?
jhnnyjr100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 10:03 PM   #17
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Great post, Mark. I'm in full agreement about Rolex watches. I have other watches that I like a lot, but the Rolex I own are at the top of the heap!
Old 23 September 2006, 10:45 PM   #18
mike
"TRF" Member

Great post Mark.
I have used and appreciated the Rolex brand my whole life. For me Rolex has been a mainstay and a product I have always had confidence in.
Certainly I have and have used other makes and appreciate the quality and history these brands bring to the table, but for me Rolex has always been the "go to" piece.
I must admitt my love of the brand extends more to the vintage models as these were the "tool watches" I grew up with.

I must say I make a distinction between Rolex the brand and Rolex USA the company however.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 11:08 PM   #19
amanda
Banned

I originally wanted an Omega, a Speedmaster Automatic Chrono but somehow I fell onto the Rolex forums, then bought the Tudor Mini-Sub AND that led me to really look at Rolexs. There's just something magical about them... could be the oyster bracelet and the way they make the dial 'sing' or those magnificent hands on the Sub or GMT.....

Yeh there's something pretty amazing alright.

I love the JLC Master Compressor Chrono too, the womens model is to die for but give me a mans model Roller any day thanks!
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 11:15 PM   #20
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
...but give me a mans model Roller any day thanks!
Amanda, I think you just made JJ's day!!!
Old 23 September 2006, 11:15 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Great post Mark.

I must say I make a distinction between Rolex the brand and Rolex USA the company however.
Now that Mike I can fully appreciate how you feel,just dont know how Rolex USA gets away with,or perhaps they are God after all.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 11:43 PM   #22
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
Amanda, I think you just made JJ's day!!!
hmmmm uh oh - I really need to proof read my posts, leaving myself vulnerable to having my posts twisted all over the place....

then again, you lot can hijack any thread so it probably doesn't matter...

I'll just continue to only partly read anything that follows after this thread....

amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 11:51 PM   #23
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
hmmmm uh oh - I really need to proof read my posts, leaving myself vulnerable to having my posts twisted all over the place....

then again, you lot can hijack any thread so it probably doesn't matter...
It doesn't matter what you post, Amanda - one of us will probably twist it into pretzel logic anyway. All in good fun, of course!

And as for hijacking threads... We are all masters at the game!
Old 24 September 2006, 01:15 AM   #24
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnnyjr100 View Post
These kinds of comparisons are not really practical, because each watch house tends to have their own strengths. What is "best" or "better" is personal opinion. If you want mine, I would all say of the above with the exception of Omega, Cartier, and FM.
Old 24 September 2006, 01:47 AM   #25
haakon59
"TRF" Member

When choosing watches for my collection, I often look at what I currently have first and then basically ask the question: what should I add that would fill a void or need? Right now I am focused on value, longevity, and maintenance costs. So what am I looking to add? Rolex and Omega are top of my list for my next purchases. One great thing you can say about Rolex which is not true of most elite brands is that their servicing costs are very reasonable (normally in the $400.00 range at this point) and they get your watch back to you in a reasonable amount of time, which is definitely not true of most elite brands which might take 6 months to service your watch (albeit they have the reasonable excuse that their watches might be much more complicated, etc.). This makes Rolex, for me anyway, a highly practical buy, even if you are giving up the exclusivity of other more expensive brands. Every brand has it's place and I love many of the ones listed above, but with that being said, I like Rolex for it's value, longevity, and lower maintenance costs.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 02:58 AM   #26
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnnyjr100 View Post
It al depends on your definition of what is better (or best). All too often we tend to compare watches on the wrong merits. Much of it is guided by personal choice. Rolex calibers are relatively simple in construction compared to some of the intricate, hand finished and assembled offerings from IWC, Glashütte or Blancpain. But if both types of movements perform within the same (COSC) specs and perform accurate and consistent, who is to say an IWC movement is better than a Rolex’s and vice versa. In an infamous article on the Explorer, an amateur watchmaker made absolute mince meat of that watch but still had to conclude that it’s movement, however crude and ill finished, was one of the sturdiest and accurate he had ever come across. So what is best?

But if you want to deal with it from a pure horological point of view, giving high marks for craftsmanship, innovation, decoration and finish and leave other aspects out of the equation, other brands might be better.

To me the 16610 for example, is the best sports watch in it’s category, being prestigious, accurate and iconic. But a Citizen Aqualand Pro dive watch is as least as good for what they both are intended to be, if not better because of additional functionality.
Old 24 September 2006, 03:32 AM   #27
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
It al depends on your definition of what is better (or best). All too often we tend to compare watches on the wrong merits. Much of it is guided by personal choice. Rolex calibers are relatively simple in construction compared to some of the intricate, hand finished and assembled offerings from IWC, Glashütte or Blancpain. But if both types of movements perform within the same (COSC) specs and perform accurate and consistent, who is to say an IWC movement is better than a Rolex’s and vice versa. In an infamous article on the Explorer, an amateur watchmaker made absolute mince meat of that watch but still had to conclude that it’s movement, however crude and ill finished, was one of the sturdiest and accurate he had ever come across. So what is best?

But if you want to deal with it from a pure horological point of view, giving high marks for craftsmanship, innovation, decoration and finish and leave other aspects out of the equation, other brands might be better.

To me the 16610 for example, is the best sports watch in it’s category, being prestigious, accurate and iconic. But a Citizen Aqualand Pro dive watch is as least as good for what they both are intended to be, if not better because of additional functionality.

Very, very well said............................for a tosser
Old 24 September 2006, 04:47 AM   #28
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
Very, very well said............................for a tosser
Correction: A wannabe tosser!!

Old 24 September 2006, 05:01 AM   #29
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post

I don't need you Kiwi. I have my own list in a couple of days and you'll be BEGGING me to be on it Tossing w@nker
Old 24 September 2006, 05:02 AM   #30
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
EXACTLY!!!