The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 22 October 2021, 12:32 AM   #121
xrole
"TRF" Member

Well guys, I just checked my online banking and the refund has now hit my account and is fully credited onto my credit card balance.

That's likely the last time I make a 'risk-taking experiment' with Ebay and dubiously priced watches, but it was still interesting to see the behaviour of the scammer with regards to the communication and delivery. I honestly wasn't worried about getting my money back from either Ebay, or failing that my credit card company.

Interestingly, in the end the scammer themselves refunded me, likely as I said earlier to just avoid any further hassle. I have nothing to add about the seller to what I have already said, and I can only assume his account was hijacked, but you never know https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194436471176

Oh well, thanks to those who commented and now it's back to my retail hunt.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 12:49 AM   #122
Goin2drt
Banned

And I guess Ebay hasn't changed in 20+ years with regards to watch scams. Glad it worked out. Like my OG post stated, I would NEVER, EVER, EVER buy a watch or anything of value from Ebay.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 01:32 AM   #123
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
And I guess Ebay hasn't changed in 20+ years with regards to watch scams. Glad it worked out. Like my OG post stated, I would NEVER, EVER, EVER buy a watch or anything of value from Ebay.
I think it has likely changed significantly vs 20 or even 10 years ago, with regards of how easy it now is to get your money back. Other than that you are right, Ebay is not a great platform for buyers or sellers.
Old 22 October 2021, 06:05 AM   #124
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

Lots of people who don’t use eBay, saying how dodgy it is, but they don’t use eBay…

As a seller of multiple thousands of items and a buyer of quite a few, including some watches eBay is fine as long as you use the same amount of common sense as you would anywhere else, and always always always check the sellers feedback (I wouldn’t have gone within a country mile of this seller).

The mantras that seem to get rolled out in these situations are to buy from an AD - not much chance of thy at, especially the neo vintage I prefer, or to buy from a TRF trusted seller - as most are in a different continent to me that’s not really an option.
NickD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 09:17 PM   #125
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
Well guys, I just checked my online banking and the refund has now hit my account and is fully credited onto my credit card balance.

That's likely the last time I make a 'risk-taking experiment' with Ebay and dubiously priced watches, but it was still interesting to see the behaviour of the scammer with regards to the communication and delivery. I honestly wasn't worried about getting my money back from either Ebay, or failing that my credit card company.

Interestingly, in the end the scammer themselves refunded me, likely as I said earlier to just avoid any further hassle. I have nothing to add about the seller to what I have already said, and I can only assume his account was hijacked, but you never know https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194436471176

Oh well, thanks to those who commented and now it's back to my retail hunt.
So glad to see this worked out for you and good luck to you finding the right deal! I’m sure there is a great watch out there waiting for you :)
Old 24 October 2021, 12:30 AM   #126
TomLou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx 1807 President
Ask him if he has a Blue dial SS sky for $16k…
TomLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 01:05 AM   #127
BigHairyGobbler
"TRF" Member

I bought a new Tudor Heritage Ranger from eBay. I paid for the watch via PayPal who held my payment in escrow and told the seller to ship the watch to the eBay authenticator. The authenticator verified the watch was actuall what the seller claimed it was and verified the condition matched the seller's description. In my case, the new watch had a scratch on the bezel so the authenticator asked me if I wanted to continue with the purchase or get a refund. I opted for a refund so the authenticator shipped the watch back to the seller and PayPal gave me my money back. I paid zero for this and it was relatively painless.
BigHairyGobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2021, 02:40 PM   #128
rkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD1975 View Post
Lots of people who don’t use eBay, saying how dodgy it is, but they don’t use eBay…

As a seller of multiple thousands of items and a buyer of quite a few, including some watches eBay is fine as long as you use the same amount of common sense as you would anywhere else, and always always always check the sellers feedback (I wouldn’t have gone within a country mile of this seller).

The mantras that seem to get rolled out in these situations are to buy from an AD - not much chance of thy at, especially the neo vintage I prefer, or to buy from a TRF trusted seller - as most are in a different continent to me that’s not really an option.
Amen. Been a buyer/seller on eBay since 1998. Not a single scam.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2021, 04:04 PM   #129
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD1975 View Post

Ebay is known and has a reputation for a proportionally high amount of scammers, for both buyer and seller. and especially for high value items, ever since it was introduced. Of course it was easier to scam in previous years past due to the lack of controls in place, but it can still easily be abused and everyone should go into it with their eyes open and knowing what their options are if things go south. I would never risk buying any high value item listing that didn't have Buyer Protection or a secure payment method.
Old 2 November 2021, 03:20 AM   #130
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLou View Post
Ask him if he has a Blue dial SS sky for $16k…
He probably will lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 05:12 AM   #131
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
You won't be receiving any watch. This is a common scam (hacked eBay/PayPal account).
Assuming you followed eBay's payment protocol for their buyer protection, you will get your money back (and have recourse via your CC company failing that).

Here's the actual seller, from whom the eBay listing photos were stolen:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=766792
I was scrolling through this thread waiting for precisely this post. Hilarious, and so painfully, obviously, plainly predictable to even the most casual observer.
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2023, 10:19 PM   #132
Awaken
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
WARNING do not purchase from Collectors1946, known to have fake replicas and papers. The white gold on their watches don’t even shine like white gold their more like a rose white gold. Can verify because I purchased from an AD and sat the watch side by side and can tell the laser etching on their claps are totally different (doesn’t have the crisp Rolex lasered font instead it’s a black machine font in the inner folding clasp. Be careful lots of $$ have been lost dealing with their fakes. A big tell tale sign is the amount of watches with no papers and the fake hulks you’ll see. Somebody should report them and get their licenses removed ( Huntington and Massepqua. I would say out of 50 watches 5-10 will be real and most likely overpriced.
Old 16 February 2023, 11:54 PM   #133
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Stop with the necroposts
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2023, 04:36 AM   #134
PRSWILL
"TRF" Member

Old thread
PRSWILL is offline   Reply With Quote