The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 October 2021, 01:52 AM   #121
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman25 View Post
Something sounds a little fishy about the whole story. Since when did jewelers not make massive profits on their inventory? I have never heard of a poor jeweler so if this guy can't make a profit on trade ins (let alone selling watches), it is his business practices that are causing it. More importantly, it is in every asset class that is over pumped with cheap credit from central banks that at some point will go bust. Waiting and being patient.
Eh ?

I see Jewellery & Watch shops closing down regularly, so that torpedo's your massive profits assumption and regarding poor Jewellers how many do you actually know personally ? a few I know have only survived because they are running on past savings.

The past two years have been survivable for the big national chains like WOS because of internet sales, but small independents have really suffered the financial loss of walk in custom.

At no point does the original post say these watches are "Trade Ins", these are high end watches bought in to resell for profit. The flipper contacts the Grey dealers and touts their watch around until they get the highest price.
Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 03:43 AM   #122
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I don't think the grey market will collapse, but it will come to the point where many will fail once this market peaks and goes into recession phase. The market will likely consolidate into a few major greys.

The surviving greys will be in a better position after the consolidate. Will the price drop? Maybe and maybe not; that will still be determined largely by demand.

The problem is, at this point nobody knows where and when this market peaks out. I think the main reason Rolex exercises tremendous discipline on their production number and MSRP is to prevent itself from being destroyed once the business cycle goes into the recession phase. By maintaining the production number and MSPR, Rolex is building a dam that insulates itself and its ADs from the waves in the secondary market. It is a very forward looking business strategy.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 03:57 AM   #123
MWW70s
Banned

It could disappear, but not in this century.
MWW70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 08:07 PM   #124
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

You have your opinion and I have mine.

Rolex/grays selling Rolex will NEVER go back to discounting and you can quote me on that.
That was always the business model, until the last few years - which was a period where countries have been printing money, giving to bankers to push up asset prices.

I just cannot see that QE will last forever, that asset prices will be inflated by government policy forever, that Rolex will be cool forever on social media, and that Rolex will NEVER be discounted again.

I was before and it will be again.
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 02:36 AM   #125
Iliamerk
"TRF" Member

I get the impression that grey sellers are working together to push prices up. Couple hundred profit here, couple hundred profit there. They continuously flip to each other to sell to clients and seem to be ever increasing, at least in the online markets I frequent. Not sure what it’s going to take to give some relief except if people stop paying the exorbitant grey prices.
Iliamerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 08:16 PM   #126
telesquire
Banned

I spoke to a grey dealer in person this week in his store, he'd just bought 18 Rolex sports watches, mainly Subs, GMT and Daytona all dated Sept and Oct 2021. Nice to see them all in one go. He said that the UK had received some hefty deliveries of them over the last month. I looked at some other dealers online this weekend and his observation sounded correct, there's an awful lot of fresh stock at the greys right now. They must produce and dispatch in large batches. So many of those green things about and Rootbear too all Sept/Oct 2021.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 08:35 PM   #127
grimps
"TRF" Member

I have a feeling demand might actually fly up soon , Hong Kong is probably one the biggest grey dealing Hubs has been under a lot of restrictions for a while now as has China.
When these two really open up fully the demand will shoot up in my opinion
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 08:53 PM   #128
ravellee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
I have a feeling demand might actually fly up soon , Hong Kong is probably one the biggest grey dealing Hubs has been under a lot of restrictions for a while now as has China.
When these two really open up fully the demand will shoot up in my opinion
demand has been shooting up in Singapore. many young buyers in their 20s
ravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 10:49 PM   #129
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yes demand is on the rise…..get them while you can!!!!!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 11:05 PM   #130
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by telesquire View Post
I spoke to a grey dealer in person this week in his store, he'd just bought 18 Rolex sports watches, mainly Subs, GMT and Daytona all dated Sept and Oct 2021. Nice to see them all in one go. He said that the UK had received some hefty deliveries of them over the last month. I looked at some other dealers online this weekend and his observation sounded correct, there's an awful lot of fresh stock at the greys right now. They must produce and dispatch in large batches. So many of those green things about and Rootbear too all Sept/Oct 2021.
If serial numbers are random how did you confirm all these dates?
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 11:10 PM   #131
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
That was always the business model, until the last few years - which was a period where countries have been printing money, giving to bankers to push up asset prices.

I just cannot see that QE will last forever, that asset prices will be inflated by government policy forever, that Rolex will be cool forever on social media, and that Rolex will NEVER be discounted again.

Absolutely correct. Anyone who believes that we've suddenly reached a state where nothing will ever change again is delusional.

When, what and how things will change is another story entirely, but to believe we're now somehow at a point that will remain static forever is just daft.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 11:16 PM   #132
telesquire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
If serial numbers are random how did you confirm all these dates?
I saw their guarantee cards and the dealer told me they were all from the past two months....now obviously they were built sometime earlier, but they had come from the unscrupulous AD's in Sept/Oct. I would imagine the transfer from AD to grey to be pretty immediate.....courier speeds permitting.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 12:01 AM   #133
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by telesquire View Post
I saw their guarantee cards and the dealer told me they were all from the past two months....now obviously they were built sometime earlier, but they had come from the unscrupulous AD's in Sept/Oct. I would imagine the transfer from AD to grey to be pretty immediate.....courier speeds permitting.
Please explain these eighteen dated guarantee cards that you personally viewed.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 04:37 AM   #134
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Yes demand is on the rise…..get them while you can!!!!!
Christmas is coming so prices are gonna skyrocket!
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 05:03 AM   #135
RJM25R
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post

Simple economics.

Supply/demand.

The intrinsic value of owning a watch that doesnt lose value but appreciate s as prices increase or money in the bank thats actually depreciating because of inflation….. most posts on here and everywhere is/are about “investment value” and that train will run and run.

When you say “last few years” how long ago? I can’t remember stainless sports models being discounted at grays since 2014 at the latest? That’s 7 years of huge increases in value.

For two years people on this forum have been predicting this crash, this bursting bubble….. tulips, classic cars blah blah blah…..

I’m buying as much stainless sports Rolex as I can……
RJM25R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 08:27 AM   #136
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
No one would be investing 10/15k for 50£ profit
Take away 1/6 for vat margin scheme
20% for tax
over heads
He or she has probably made 25£

0.25% ROI
I don't personally think they would buy a watch with that return
Paul Thorpe just sold his AP to a dealer friend for a £250 profit on a £ 30K watch, PT will not pay vat on that sale but the Grey dealer will when he sells it on. The Grey has to pay vat on sales, pay for his overheads and you still think they are making big money ??? No the buyer of the watch at retail is making the Big money not the Grey Dealer.
Old 27 October 2021, 09:52 AM   #137
ravellee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2polar View Post
Paul Thorpe just sold his AP to a dealer friend for a £250 profit on a £ 30K watch, PT will not pay vat on that sale but the Grey dealer will when he sells it on. The Grey has to pay vat on sales, pay for his overheads and you still think they are making big money ??? No the buyer of the watch at retail is making the Big money not the Grey Dealer.
the buyer of the watch at retail had to buy some other rubbish to get the AP.
ravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 03:02 AM   #138
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
I don't think the grey market will collapse, but it will come to the point where many will fail once this market peaks and goes into recession phase. The market will likely consolidate into a few major greys.

The surviving greys will be in a better position after the consolidate. Will the price drop? Maybe and maybe not; that will still be determined largely by demand.

The problem is, at this point nobody knows where and when this market peaks out. I think the main reason Rolex exercises tremendous discipline on their production number and MSRP is to prevent itself from being destroyed once the business cycle goes into the recession phase. By maintaining the production number and MSPR, Rolex is building a dam that insulates itself and its ADs from the waves in the secondary market. It is a very forward looking business strategy.
This has been the forecast for years and they just keep going and going and the goods higher and higher. People view watches as a tangible liquid asset that rivals bitcoin appreciation or better, and certainly better than gold. It just keeps feeding on itself and will not end.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 03:51 AM   #139
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravellee View Post
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 03:59 AM   #140
james309
"TRF" Member

I know a grey who gives £5000 to a big AD as a drink on all purchases.

Still sells and profits everyone.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
james309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 07:01 AM   #141
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Some greys drive ferraris and porsche…….the struggle is real….
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 07:32 AM   #142
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
He needs a new business model and good AD contacts. Go around flippers to the source. Otherwise, he's dead in the water.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 07:36 AM   #143
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
The following screen shots taken from a UK grey dealers Instagram pages.

I do not believe these increases are sustainable.

Viewing watch sales like a pyramid, the higher the prices go, the smaller the triangle at the top of people who can actually afford them.

So in effect all that is going to happen is that by continuously increasing prices they are only reducing their own target audience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 08:24 AM   #144
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravellee View Post
Any proof or just a wild assumption based on fresh air?

Old 28 October 2021, 08:26 AM   #145
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james309 View Post
I know a grey who gives £5000 to a big AD as a drink on all purchases.

Still sells and profits everyone.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
HAHAHAHA yes of course a grey dealer just drops £5K into an AD's slush fund, honestly would anyone believe this happens?????

Old 29 October 2021, 06:40 AM   #146
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2polar View Post
HAHAHAHA yes of course a grey dealer just drops £5K into an AD's slush fund, honestly would anyone believe this happens?????

Yup. No slush fund just pure cash.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote