The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 October 2021, 08:15 AM   #61
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Sorry, but I like the 5905/1A-001.

(Photo from Revolution)

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 07:53 PM   #62
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

(Photo from Revolution)

But you must admit that it's an interesting choice to combine an unknown, slow moving watch with a reviled bracelet in an attempt to create a popular watch in a material (stainless steel) that you claim to want to, mostly, eliminate from your catalog.
Help me understand where Patek wants to go.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 09:32 PM   #63
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

^ I trust Patek knows what it’s doing.

Yes, there are a few vocal “internet warriors” who don’t like the bracelet, but clearly the market (and thus Patek) says otherwise.

Combine that with an AC function and chrono, along with the ever-popular steel and beautiful green dial, and you have a nice watch that’s in synch with the times.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 10:02 PM   #64
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
^ I trust Patek knows what it’s doing.

Yes, there are a few vocal “internet warriors” who don’t like the bracelet, but clearly the market (and thus Patek) says otherwise.

Combine that with an AC function and chrono, along with the ever-popular steel and beautiful green dial, and you have a nice watch that’s in synch with the times.
5167A sells for more than 5167/1A even though 1A entitles the owner to buy the rubber strap and clasp. Says all about how popular that bracelet is.

/have deposit on 5167/1A. Acc to my AD every single /1A allocated by them have had the buyer ordering a rubber strap to use as default option.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 10:09 PM   #65
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
5167A sells for more than 5167/1A even though 1A entitles the owner to buy the rubber strap and clasp. Says all about how popular that bracelet is.

/have deposit on 5167/1A. Acc to my AD every single /1A allocated by them have had the buyer ordering a rubber strap to use as default option.

Yes but rubber is far more popular than leather and the rubber band has a design motif that integrates with the dial.

I’d buy one of these 5905 right now if it were available to me.
Old 16 October 2021, 10:19 PM   #66
italiafan
"TRF" Member

I hope they make a 5205 (AC with moon phase) in all steel like the 5905. I’d get in line to buy that.
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 10:25 PM   #67
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
But you must admit that it's an interesting choice to combine an unknown, slow moving watch with a reviled bracelet in an attempt to create a popular watch in a material (stainless steel) that you claim to want to, mostly, eliminate from your catalog.
Think of the bracelet as a free option. Basically they are offering another white metal 5905 at 2/3 of the price of the P. The 1A is also more robust and less top heavy even if you put it on a strap. That is the good news. The bad news is that the watch remains large and bulky (just like all Patek ACCs) and that the trendy green dial may not age well.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 10:39 PM   #68
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Lets get some rubber on that 5905
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 10:44 PM   #69
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
It will be nice to see these in person but I do like the 5905. When I had the 5167/1A I wore it on the bracelet about half the time and think it’s very comfortable. The links are thicker and more rounded than the Nautilus links so I’m guessing thats the reason they paired it with a thicker case.

I loved pictures of the blue dial world time chronograph, but had a very hard time reading the dial when I tried it on. I suspect the green one may be the same, especially for older eyeballs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 10:46 PM   #70
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I tried on the 5905/1a today but it was too big for my wrist. The colour of the dial, the bracelet and the SS execution was perfect though. I used to own the 5167/1A and I like that bracelet. It is silky smooth, comfortable and looks sporty. I only wish I have the wrist for the 42mm.

The 5930P was awesome. The green and the guilloche work very well together giving off a very vibrant green. Between that and the G, I think the P is a better iteration of the WT chrono.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 10:59 PM   #71
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post

In 2018, when I wanted an Aquanaut, my AD told me it was a three year wait for the 5167a but if I wanted the 5167/1a I could have it in 6 months and he delivered on it, albeit, in 9 months. No one wanted to pay up for the bracelet even on this popular model on which you could change out for rubber.
Old 16 October 2021, 11:01 PM   #72
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
Lets get some rubber on that 5905
Is the 5905/1a water resistant? Seems like the rubber would be out of context.
Old 17 October 2021, 01:07 AM   #73
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Thankfully for my wallet I don’t lust after any of these. I’ll just continue to pine for a 5740…
Daytonaman799 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 01:52 AM   #74
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Think of the bracelet as a free option. Basically they are offering another white metal 5905 at 2/3 of the price of the P. The 1A is also more robust and less top heavy even if you put it on a strap. That is the good news. The bad news is that the watch remains large and bulky (just like all Patek ACCs) and that the trendy green dial may not age well.
5960/1A has a big indent between the lugs as an additional anchor point for the bracelet. Until someone shows me a 5905/1A on a strap I’m not convinced that it doesn’t have the same but even more visible due to 14mm height.

Just like the 5270/1R also has horrendous pin pusher button extensions between the lugs that make strap wearing impossible unless you want a watch looking like it has an acne problem.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 03:59 AM   #75
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Tried all of these today. 5905 is AMAZING and lists are going to be insane. Interesting to see the negative reactions but the Salon was saying a different story with people tripping over each other.

All three watches were stellar.
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 04:16 AM   #76
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
Tried all of these today. 5905 is AMAZING and lists are going to be insane. Interesting to see the negative reactions but the Salon was saying a different story with people tripping over each other.

All three watches were stellar.
If there is demand for the 5905 then great for Patek but if there is no demand it will be limited by Patek to make people think otherwise.

Its a win win for Patek
Old 17 October 2021, 04:16 AM   #77
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I tried on the 5905/1a today but it was too big for my wrist. The colour of the dial, the bracelet and the SS execution was perfect though. I used to own the 5167/1A and I like that bracelet. It is silky smooth, comfortable and looks sporty. I only wish I have the wrist for the 42mm.

The 5930P was awesome. The green and the guilloche work very well together giving off a very vibrant green. Between that and the G, I think the P is a better iteration of the WT chrono.
Are you based in Geneva?
Old 17 October 2021, 04:53 AM   #78
Will_L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
30m, so no
Will_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 05:51 AM   #79
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
People buy rolex submariners and never even see the sea..
Old 17 October 2021, 07:02 AM   #80
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiafan View Post
I hope they make a 5205 (AC with moon phase) in all steel like the 5905. I’d get in line to buy that.

As much as I love what you are saying
But this is exactly the opposite of what PP is trying to do.
They want to use the steel to make you fall in love with the 5205 in precious metal on leather not the other way around as you described

Old 17 October 2021, 09:37 AM   #81
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Are you based in Geneva?
I tried on at Marina Bay Sands Patek Singapore.
Old 17 October 2021, 10:16 AM   #82
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

I see polarization in the comments about the Patek bracelets which is not the case for other brands like Rolex, RM or even Zenith, Omega or Vacheron (that overseas solution...)

Rolex bracelets (oyster, jubilee or president) are so timeless, practical, superb. Gay Freres was such a strategic buy.

I hope that Patek will invest massively into that subject (composite and metal) to better compliment the case and caliber.

PS: I feel that people want to wear their PP outside climate controled offices. Everywhere. Without limits. Wearing a leather strap with 90% humidity at +30c is not pleasing and not very hygienic. @Ichiran may better comment about it with his experience and about what people prefer in SG (I may be wrong about my analysis).
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 10:56 AM   #83
scurfa
"TRF" Member

I have to laugh, my nautilus was the biggest disappointment ever, I use the pin and collar system on my own brand of watches and at $60 I’m called a cheap skate!

Old 17 October 2021, 01:58 PM   #84
thanyasr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post

Do u mind to tell what your wrist size?
thanyasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 03:05 PM   #85
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuelleHeureEstIl View Post
I feel that people want to wear their PP outside climate controled offices. Everywhere. Without limits. Wearing a leather strap with 90% humidity at +30c is not pleasing and not very hygienic. @Ichiran may better comment about it with his experience and about what people prefer in SG (I may be wrong about my analysis).
People here tend to wear watches with bracelet. The leather strap crowd is a minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanyasr View Post
Do u mind to tell what your wrist size?
6.3 to 6.4 inches depending on the weather.

I do notice some people with small but flatter wrist are able to wear larger watches. For me, I can't wear a watch with lug-2-lug bigger than 49mm. All the standard 41mm RO and VCO are out for me.
Old 17 October 2021, 07:53 PM   #86
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
People buy rolex submariners and never even see the sea..
And yet, do you know anyone who wears a Rolex Sub, GMT or Explorer on a leather or crocodile strap? It's the thought that counts.
Old 17 October 2021, 08:07 PM   #87
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuelleHeureEstIl View Post
I see polarization in the comments about the Patek bracelets which is not the case for other brands like Rolex, RM or even Zenith, Omega or Vacheron (that overseas solution...)

Rolex bracelets (oyster, jubilee or president) are so timeless, practical, superb. Gay Freres was such a strategic buy.

I hope that Patek will invest massively into that subject (composite and metal) to better compliment the case and caliber.

PS: I feel that people want to wear their PP outside climate controled offices. Everywhere. Without limits. Wearing a leather strap with 90% humidity at +30c is not pleasing and not very hygienic. @Ichiran may better comment about it with his experience and about what people prefer in SG (I may be wrong about my analysis).
But don't we already have the answer to this? Patek doesn't want to be known as a "stainless steel" watch maker, hence the cancellation of the 5711/1a, and is using the unpopular Aquanaut bracelet on this complicated watch because they are experiencing too much fatigue to design a new one.
People have bitched endlessly about the clasps on Rolex watches, PCLs where they felt they detracted from the design and invited scratches and the hatred of the Vacheron Overseas bracelet was epic.
Old 17 October 2021, 08:57 PM   #88
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex368 View Post
Change metal, add green dial and maybe an Aquanaut bracelet. The new PP collection update approach. :
There you go. Not exciting.
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 05:38 AM   #89
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:

(Photo from Revolution)

Do you think I am right in saying when this becomes a success they may easily just add bracelet variants to the rose gold and platinum of the 5905

steel 45k
rose 75k maybe
platinum 87k possibly

Do you think 30/40k would be too much for a full precious metal variant of this watch
Old 18 October 2021, 06:44 AM   #90
JerBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:

These are my thoughts as well. Makes them seem hypocritical for canceling the 5711 and then releasing a new model in steel.
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote