The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 October 2021, 03:14 PM   #1
completelyclueless
"TRF" Member

Gifted vintage GMT Master - service advice appreciated

All,

My father in law recently gave this to me after I wore my Pepsi 16710 during a visit to his house. I was blown away by his generosity. It definitely needs service, so I was planning to send it to the RSC.

1) I know Rolex will want to change the hands because the lume is cracked. Should I be concerned about the cracking, or should I insist on keeping the original hands?

2) Based on a picture of my father-in-law from several decades ago, I am confident this watch had a Pepsi bezel insert when he owned it. However, he sold it a long time ago before re-acquiring it to give to me, and it looks like the other owner changed the insert to a black one. Even though I don't think the black insert is original to the watch, it has acquired its own character through many years of wear. Does it make sense to try to keep the black insert, or have it replaced with a new Pepsi one?

Many thanks,
Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20211007_195927040.jpg (282.7 KB, 284 views)
completelyclueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 07:34 PM   #2
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
I love the character of this watch and would not change a thing!

I would also not send it to a RSC and I’ve heard they will replace non-stock parts.

If it were me, I would have a trusted local shop service the watch or send it to someone like Phillip Ridley or Rolliworks.

Beautiful piece!
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 08:05 PM   #3
1675-David
"TRF" Member

what a cool old watch!! Looks like a 1675 with a MK6 dial. Source the correct insert, have the hands relumed (in there present condition it looks like the lume could fall out at any time), a movement service and you will be looking at a beautiful thing on the end of your arm for years to come.
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 08:12 PM   #4
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I would recommend to getting to know your watch.

Remove the bracelet and find out the reference numbers to learn about the model and year production. This will let you know what the correct replacement parts should be and if it is an investment that you want to pursue, or just repair the obvious things now.
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 08:17 PM   #5
1675-David
"TRF" Member

after switching from my phone to my desktop I'm seeing things a little more clearly now ..
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 08:22 PM   #6
TimeToGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
after switching from my phone to my desktop I'm seeing things a little more clearly now ..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 09:51 PM   #7
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I’d let some of the well known independent work on it and follow their recommendations. LAWW, Mr. Ridley, Rolliworks
Old 16 October 2021, 10:50 PM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I can definitely understand why some people would want to replace the lume, but personally, I would probably just have it stabilized. That insert looks completely wrong to my eye on a SS GMT, so I would replace it with a period-correct one. Yes, it will cost more, but a new insert on a vintage watch doesn't give me joy.
Old 17 October 2021, 01:34 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Black and gold inserts were not used on the Stainless models, they are for TT and Gold versions. You can get a new pepsi insert for it, or you can seek one more period correct, although the cost for older inserts is ridiculous.

The hands are toast lume-wise, there is no point in trying to save hands in that condition. They can be filled and matched to the lume on the dial by a number if independents such as LA Watchworks in Pasadena.

The dial looks to be very nice so you should seek to keep it.

Rolex will not do what should be done with this watch to retain it's early charm.
Old 17 October 2021, 01:36 AM   #10
lis
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Two words: Phillip Ridley. Only person I trust with my 1675 GMT. For vintage pieces, you need a vintage expert, not RSC.
lis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 04:42 AM   #11
completelyclueless
"TRF" Member

I'm glad I asked the experts. I had sent an older Datejust in some years ago and the RSC agreed not to replace the hands or dial, but they weren't in this condition. I'll touch base with some of the folks y'all recommended.
Old 17 October 2021, 05:41 AM   #12
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Get with Phillip Ridley, he will walk you through your restoration options and what is correct for the watch.

Definitely relume those hands to match the dial!

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 07:30 AM   #13
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
It’s a great looking dial. If it were mine it would go to Philip for servicing and then to a relumer. With matching hands the watch will look great. If you don’t intend to sell the watch leave the insert as is. No sense dumping tons of money that if the insert looks good to you. I think the insert looks fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 07:56 AM   #14
completelyclueless
"TRF" Member

Really appreciate all your thoughtful opinions. If any of you have a reputable source for a period correct insert and can PM me, that would be great. It seems like there's a huge incentive for people to create counterfeit or artificially aged inserts...because of people like me!
Old 17 October 2021, 09:35 AM   #15
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
It’s a great looking dial. If it were mine it would go to Philip for servicing and then to a relumer. With matching hands the watch will look great. If you don’t intend to sell the watch leave the insert as is. No sense dumping tons of money that if the insert looks good to you. I think the insert looks fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phillip will also relume the hands, he just did a good color match on my 1680 hands.
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote