The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 31 August 2021, 03:24 PM   #1
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

New Offshores at 43mm too big?

AP aficionados,

I am looking for advise from those that have this model or have worn it. I really like this new Offshore 43mm watch 26420SO in taupe. Stunning. I have not had the chance to put it on as none are available at boutiques to try.

Any advise on how it wears? Ergonomics? Heft? Display and view? Height? And just general comfortable feel.

This would be a leap unto unknown territory for me but it is exciting. It is definitely a departure of my traditional style.

Photo credit: Wristcheck

rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 03:36 PM   #2
rtanjaya
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I tried this at the boutique, the taupe dial is really beautiful the best out of the lot imo.

The new 43mm roo has a new curve at the lug there that hugs your wrist better compared to the 44mm. And the new strap change, is a very good move by AP

Big is relative to how big your hand is.

My wrist is 6.5", it was too big for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (200.1 KB, 2241 views)
rtanjaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 03:47 PM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
1st off the new watch is stunning, the taupe dial is very special to the point where I think this must be the most desirable of the new releases.

I’ve owned plenty of 42mm Offshores and for the last 5 years I’ve worn the 44mm in platinum, it’s by far my favourite watch. I’ve tried on the 43mm and I’d say that the lug to lug width is very similar to the 42mm.

Compared to the 44, which overall has a flat appearance on the wrist, the 43 imo seems to have a taller appearance to it which I think has been necessary to incorporate the slight curvature to the new case design.

The 43 is definitely a win for those that just can’t pull off a 44, the design is a big improvement over the 42. For me though the design and proportions of the 44 make it the perfect Offshore and I hope we haven’t seen the last of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 11:17 PM   #4
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Do you have any experience with wearing Panerai?

Ergonomics are excellent, dial view excellent. Case height is TALL though. But it’s fun enough that I still put up with the extra height. I also bang into things I normally wouldn’t event with wrist awareness because of how tall the watch is.

I have RO blue, and the contrast with this dial against that is very, very nice.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 01:37 AM   #5
Kilometerman
"TRF" Member

I have this watch, and I absolutely love it. I’ve got a 44 ROO and a few 42 ROO as well. I feel like the 44 is borderline a little too big for me. I can pull it off, but I notice the size.

The 42s are great, but my thought is that the 43 is better balanced between the two other sizes, and more ergonomic too. The weight isn’t really noticeable at all (although I don’t mind heavy watches).
Kilometerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 02:25 AM   #6
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

The new 43s are too big on my 6.5" wrist... heck, even the 42s feel big! I'm hoping they at least update the 42s with the curved cases for an even better (i.e. smaller) fit.
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 02:51 AM   #7
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I too am interested in hearing more thoughts on the new 43 fit in comparison to other models.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 03:31 AM   #8
rotiprata
"TRF" Member

The fit feels great, I think this is the best offshore around. The 42mm feels a bit too small given the thickness, the 43mm is just overall very balanced out.
The weight is way much lighter on the wrist than the 42mm and the 44mm, this was how I felt.
I think it's due to the bigger movement, therefore the need for lesser steel for the case.
rotiprata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 03:37 AM   #9
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtanjaya View Post
I tried this at the boutique, the taupe dial is really beautiful the best out of the lot imo.

The new 43mm roo has a new curve at the lug there that hugs your wrist better compared to the 44mm. And the new strap change, is a very good move by AP

Big is relative to how big your hand is.

My wrist is 6.5", it was too big for me

Thanks @rtanjaya, I really appreciate it. The Taupe is gorgeous and I would be excited about that ceramic bezel as it should not scratch. The design is terrific.

My wrist size is 7.4”.

By the way, I hear there are several rubber strap colors. I do like it comes with the brown and black straps. Any others? I heard it can come in white and even in leather.

Would you have bought it if it were 42”?

Love the picture you posted. Looks terrific even with a simple mobile shot. Thanks for that.
Old 1 September 2021, 03:52 AM   #10
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
1st off the new watch is stunning, the taupe dial is very special to the point where I think this must be the most desirable of the new releases.

I’ve owned plenty of 42mm Offshores and for the last 5 years I’ve worn the 44mm in platinum, it’s by far my favourite watch. I’ve tried on the 43mm and I’d say that the lug to lug width is very similar to the 42mm.

Compared to the 44, which overall has a flat appearance on the wrist, the 43 imo seems to have a taller appearance to it which I think has been necessary to incorporate the slight curvature to the new case design.

The 43 is definitely a win for those that just can’t pull off a 44, the design is a big improvement over the 42. For me though the design and proportions of the 44 make it the perfect Offshore and I hope we haven’t seen the last of it.

ashAP, thank you for this awesome insight. I am really curious of your wrist size and would love to see how that platinum looks on your wrist. Have any pics with a 43mm?

I keep thinking that I am going to try and jump on this. I don’t own a Royal Oak of any variation and this would provide a unique wear to anything I own now. Hahaha. It would seem like becoming a different person.

I keep reading on a curve case on this model and it makes me think of Richard Mille type of case design. The design are angular and strong.

ashAP, you seem to be plugged into boutiques: what would you reckon the waiting list may be like? 3 months? 1 year or several years out? Are these hard to come by?

+ bonus: I want to own a watch with the new Chrono movement.
Old 1 September 2021, 03:56 AM   #11
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Do you have any experience with wearing Panerai?

Ergonomics are excellent, dial view excellent. Case height is TALL though. But it’s fun enough that I still put up with the extra height. I also bang into things I normally wouldn’t event with wrist awareness because of how tall the watch is.

I have RO blue, and the contrast with this dial against that is very, very nice.

Hey Macro, no experience with Panerai. I do own two 42mm: Bucherer Bronze Tudor which I hardly wear and the SkyDweller at 42mm which is really top heavy.

Congrats on your RO blue. Got any pic from a height angle. Comfortable I take it, right?

Great insight.
Old 1 September 2021, 03:59 AM   #12
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilometerman View Post
I have this watch, and I absolutely love it. I’ve got a 44 ROO and a few 42 ROO as well. I feel like the 44 is borderline a little too big for me. I can pull it off, but I notice the size.

The 42s are great, but my thought is that the 43 is better balanced between the two other sizes, and more ergonomic too. The weight isn’t really noticeable at all (although I don’t mind heavy watches).

Hey kilo, got some pics. I’d love to see wrist shots from different angles.

Curious to know why you chose this particular model from their 5 releases. I thought about the titanium version but kept gravitating to this color scheme.
Old 1 September 2021, 04:06 AM   #13
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Taken yesterday & earlier today. The photo below taken from more of a distance is a better indication of how it looks IRL.

Wrist size is a bit under 7.25”

Old 1 September 2021, 04:25 AM   #14
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
ashAP, thank you for this awesome insight. I am really curious of your wrist size and would love to see how that platinum looks on your wrist. Have any pics with a 43mm?

I keep reading on a curve case on this model and it makes me think of Richard Mille type of case design.
The curvature of the case is a fraction of what you see with RM.

These were taken in June.

Old 1 September 2021, 05:03 AM   #15
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey Macro, no experience with Panerai. I do own two 42mm: Bucherer Bronze Tudor which I hardly wear and the SkyDweller at 42mm which is really top heavy.

Congrats on your RO blue. Got any pic from a height angle. Comfortable I take it, right?

Great insight.
The watch is surprisingly very comfortable. I passed on the 44mm ROO many times, but have found the 43 very wearable both on size and on the curvature of the case.

I use Panerai as an example just to have something to compare on the height. Because the watch is TALL. However, using the two references you mention as the benchmark, I'd say the case is surpsingly comparable to 42mm in how far the lugs jut out over the wrist, but it is more comfortable on the wrist because of the curvature. And also because of that feels less like a bit plate sitting on the wrist.

I know what you mean by top heavy on Skydweller, and find this less heavy than that, despite the rubber straps.

The only times you won't get used to the height are under shirt cuffs and accidentally hitting things. But bezel is ceramic so holds up just fine.

In all other instances except for height, the watch will feel 42mm as described in many other places and other posts on the thread. However, I feel looking at the divers, the dial is much more proportional to the height in the 43 ROO examples.

Finally, I orginally wanted gray/blue combo, but after looking at the existing ROO in gray/blue, decided this dial was more special. It is a very stellar watch.
Old 1 September 2021, 06:12 AM   #16
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

SOLD!
Thank you AshAP and Macro. This is the insight I wanted to explore with more experienced members and great pics. ash, you have a killer collection.

The wait begins tomorrow. ; )
Old 1 September 2021, 07:23 AM   #17
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
SOLD!
Thank you AshAP and Macro. This is the insight I wanted to explore with more experienced members and great pics. ash, you have a killer collection.

The wait begins tomorrow. ; )
Good choice! Watch is pretty thick, but overall nicely balanced. Taupe dial is fantastic. With a 7.4" wrist you won't look like you borrowed your dad's watch, unlike these guys:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Offshores.jpg (126.3 KB, 1925 views)
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 09:18 AM   #18
7sins
"TRF" Member

Your other option is the 42mm ROO Ti, it has the same pushers and aesthetic as the 44mm but is a 42mm case while being 3mm thinner than the 42mm and 44mm ROO. Fits very nicely on the wrist. That is what I decided on after trying on and owning a variation of ROOs.

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 10:29 AM   #19
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Your other option is the 42mm ROO Ti, it has the same pushers and aesthetic as the 44mm but is a 42mm case while being 3mm thinner than the 42mm and 44mm ROO. Fits very nicely on the wrist. That is what I decided on after trying on and owning a variation of ROOs.

I liked the other photo better….something about the framing and focus seem off. Lol.
Old 1 September 2021, 10:37 AM   #20
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I liked the other photo better….something about the framing and focus seem off. Lol.
lol got to keep it PG around here brother
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 10:56 AM   #21
rtanjaya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks @rtanjaya, I really appreciate it. The Taupe is gorgeous and I would be excited about that ceramic bezel as it should not scratch. The design is terrific.

My wrist size is 7.4”.

By the way, I hear there are several rubber strap colors. I do like it comes with the brown and black straps. Any others? I heard it can come in white and even in leather.

Would you have bought it if it were 42”?

Love the picture you posted. Looks terrific even with a simple mobile shot. Thanks for that.
Then your wrist would fit perfectly. Go and pull the trigger

The straps comes in many combinations and colors, that’s their new strap game.
Actually you can check out @nopstar83 in Instagram, he has some good shots of the taupe in different straps
rtanjaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 11:01 AM   #22
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
lol got to keep it PG around here brother
I meant the RM! Ha.
Old 1 September 2021, 12:45 PM   #23
Zavier
"TRF" Member

The 43mm Roo has smaller lug to lug than the 42mm. I love the 44, but my wrist is too small for it hence I sold it off. When the 43mm was released, I had my name put down immediately after trying it out in the boutique.

It still wears big, but much more comfortable and manageable than the 44 AND the 42. Been wearing it almost daily since late June and counting. I'd say go for it!
Zavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 01:54 PM   #24
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Old 1 September 2021, 06:05 PM   #25
GH.Chrono
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post

I love the grey & blue colour co-ordinations on these off shores!

Does anyone know roughly what the wait times would be on the new 43mm for a new AP buyer from a house in the UK?
GH.Chrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 11:02 PM   #26
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
AP aficionados,

I am looking for advise from those that have this model or have worn it. I really like this new Offshore 43mm watch 26420SO in taupe. Stunning. I have not had the chance to put it on as none are available at boutiques to try.

Any advise on how it wears? Ergonomics? Heft? Display and view? Height? And just general comfortable feel.

This would be a leap unto unknown territory for me but it is exciting. It is definitely a departure of my traditional style.

Photo credit: Wristcheck

Stunning
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 04:51 AM   #27
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
I have the Taupe 43 ROO and find it just right for size and weight.

I have a 7.25” wrist and my main daily wear “beater” is a Rolex Deep Sea Blue which is 44mm, but a bigger overall piece than the ROO.

And for me (biased I know but could have had any of the new 43’s) the Taupe dial is just fantastic
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 02:13 PM   #28
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post

This looks wonderful on you. This one is a close second sometimes first choice really. It looks much more versatile and it could have much more strap color options.

Have a side pic?
Old 2 September 2021, 02:16 PM   #29
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Fog those that know, waiting times would be nice to share in both Europe, US, and America, anywhere really.

Not to make a super big deal, but did these Offshores just go up in price? I thought I saw a different price just a few days ago.
Old 5 September 2021, 03:39 AM   #30
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This looks wonderful on you. This one is a close second sometimes first choice really. It looks much more versatile and it could have much more strap color options.

Have a side pic?

Love the watch frankly - what’s the other option you’re considering?