The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 October 2021, 08:46 PM   #1
dolceman81
"TRF" Member

Chronograph

I’m wondering how many people actually know/use the chronograph? I learned that the second is not to be continuously running as it will require more frequent servicing. Im assuming that on these type of watch the second hand is not in motion? I have no clue how to read the sundials either. But the watch I want is a chronograph because of its tribute to a legend! Im thinking of the 26182st as a daily with a rubber strap. I would like to learn how to use even though I will not have any need.
dolceman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 09:58 PM   #2
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I use chronographs at work timing anesthetics. Other times are cooking when I’m paying attention (like grilling) and flights. Things like pizza I use my phone’s countdown timer.

Most chronographs are started and stopped with the 2:00 pusher. Then the 4:00 pusher resets it. Flybacks can be reset to zero with the 4:00 pusher while running (don’t do with regular chronograph).

So while true functionality in the era of iPhones is questionable, I like them and the aesthetics of the dials and subdials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 11:28 PM   #3
pjm1289
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolceman81 View Post
I’m wondering how many people actually know/use the chronograph? I learned that the second is not to be continuously running as it will require more frequent servicing. Im assuming that on these type of watch the second hand is not in motion? I have no clue how to read the sundials either. But the watch I want is a chronograph because of its tribute to a legend! Im thinking of the 26182st as a daily with a rubber strap. I would like to learn how to use even though I will not have any need.
I use the chronograph function for cooking and sometimes for running laps. I didn't know that the chronograph function should not be continuously running; this is good to know!

One thing I recently discovered is that the left subdial reads both half an hour and a full hour. So, the right subdial can measure up to 30 minutes, and after one full rotation, the left subdial moves one position to demarcate a half an hour. Hopefully this is right... perhaps someone can correct me if its wrong.

Enjoy your chronograph!
pjm1289 is offline   Reply With Quote