The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 24 July 2011, 11:53 AM   #1
D. Whitman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Icon17 My Audemars Piguet Odyssey

Don’t let the catch line throw you off. I’m a Rolex fan all the way. But I have a fun story about how I acquired my new Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore “Panda.” I just want to share the adventure with all of my friends here (I think of you all as my friends. I read this site every day, I’ve posted here a few times but this is my first thread). I think my AP quest must have been more suspense-filled than if I had tried to find a Daytona.

Here's my new ROO safely on my wrist...

I live in Tucson, Ariz., where there’s not an AP in sight let alone an AP Authorized Dealer. I wanted one so bad, especially after reading Norman “Shade’s” review of the Offshore Navy. http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=150745 . (Great review by the way, Norman.) To use a term I learned here on TRF, the Offshore is my “Grail.” I love the Navy, but I wanted the Panda because the understated back and silver combination suited my lifestyle a bit better. I’m in the military and a blue watch is too ostentatious for work in a military uniform. I may be a desk jockey staff officer, but these things must be considered.

To start the pursuit, my wife and I made the two-hour drive to Phoenix to find the elusive Panda. We went to the only AP AD in the state. They had the Navy and the Volcano! I tried them both. A first for me. The orange Volcano was gorgeous, but a definite no-go for the color. But “Wow,” I thought to my self, “Maybe the Navy would be okay at work after all.” It was that stunning! My wife was totally into it and encouraged me to buy it. She’s the best!

Here's the Volcano I tried on for kicks...

The Navy was awesome! (Sorry for the cell phone pics)

I was tempted, but thought it better to try another option. I told the dealer that I was looking for a more conservative AP ROO, and he, being a classy guy, said he’d work on finding me a Panda the next week. I wasn’t about to give up just yet, so we left the AD and went to Tourneau in Scottsdale, Ariz. They are not an AP AD, but I know they can reach out to other Tourneau stores in the country to find what I’m looking for. I’ve read the negative reviews online about Tourneau, but thought I’d give them a shot anyway.

I walked in with the reference number and asked for help. To their credit, they gave it their best effort. They searched the database, called New York, Hawaii and a few others but there was no Panda to be found. These guys were very gracious and intent on making a deal with me. I even had some exceptional trades to offer. Due to the AP
ROO price tag, the only way I could make the deal was with a trade.

Here were the trades I was offering...

The GMT II Ceramic Two-tone was my first Rolex. I bought it at an AD and it was awesome. I picked it on shear looks thinking it was the greatest-looking watch ever made (and I still hold it in highest regards). I wasn’t wearing it very often because of the gold. It was sharp, but I didn’t want to make it a spectacle around my troops. Obviously something I should have considered before buying it, but I’m kind of a WIS rookie.

The Panerai PAM 161 was a secondary trade that I thought would sweeten the deal. After all, the ROO retails pretty high.

I also have a DSSD. It's my every-day watch. I got it from Oscar “Bodybump” and still love it, so it was not up for trade (Thanks again Oscar!). I’m keeping the DSSD for a long time to come.

My "rough and tumble" watch...

Tourneau didn’t have a Panda to sell me... anywhere in the US. Dejected, my wife and I left the Scottsdale mall. In a moment of weakness, I drove back to the AP AD in Phoenix to buy the Navy they showed me. It was then that the dealer told me that it was on hold for a guy from Texas. Earlier, this Texan had put some money down and was on his way in to buy the watch the next weekend. Why didn’t the dealer tell me that in the first place, right? Everything happens for a reason... the Navy wasn’t my watch. God bless Texas.

We started the drive back to Tucson, but I’m stubborn and I started searching online for AP ADs in San Diego... a city six hours away. I found the number for CJ Charles, an AP AD near the ocean. I called and asked them about an Offshore Navy I saw on their Website and they said it was sold, but they said they had a PANDA!!! What?! I asked them if anyone had a deposit on the watch. They said it was available and that they open at 11 a.m. I told them I wanted the watch and about my trades. Their words were, and I quote, “Come on in and we’ll do our best to make you happy.”

The next morning at about 4 a.m. my wife and I took off from Tucson driving for San Diego. We arrived just as the shop opened and we locked the Panda down. They took my GMT and my PAM 161 and I paid a fair out-of-pocket expense for the difference. Doubtful that any such deal could have been made with any seller online, especially since I’m an unknown. In all, it was a good deal for both parties. They even overnighted the watch to me in Arizona to save on sales tax. I couldn’t have made a better deal. I was happy!

I tried on this Bumble Bee while I was there. I really like this watch, but the yellow is hard for me to pull off... The carbon case makes it really light and it felt great on the wrist. I recommend it if you have a black and yellow sports car.

Anyone who can get to San Diego should check out CJ Charles. They are an AD for AP, JLC, Breitling, Panerai and more; plus they have a huge pre-owned Rolex selection. I even saw Daytonas in white and black. A rare treat for me!

Now I plan to rotate my watches daily between the DSSD and the AP ROO, though the ROO is the current front-runner at the moment; I’m sure all here would understand. I know I should have sold my old watches independently before buying the AP but I have no on-line seller’s reputation to lean on and didn’t want the hassle. I hope the critics on TRF go easy on me. I know the lessons learned of those who have gone before, but many of those lessons helped me make a deal that I was happy with. Thanks TRF.

In all, my wife and I had a great adventure to find my Panda and a fun trip to San Diego. Now I owe her some diamond earrings. I share this for all of my fellow WIS who are in search of the “right” watch for them. I saw several cities to find mine and didn’t quit. If you’re lucky, the time piece you buy will come with a great story.

The Offshore is fantastic, by the way. Its fit and finish are all that the experts say they are. I’m very lucky to own such a work of art. Its color is understated and goes great with the uniform, or anything for that matter. People know they are looking at a special watch, but they don’t know at all what they are looking at (AP wearers know what I’m talking about).

One more photo for fun...

If you have read this entire post... thanks for reading. Comments welcome. Anyone else have a cool story about how they found their “Grail”?
D. Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Movies
Excellent first thread, Dick! Glad to see you finally found your grail
Sweramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 12:12 PM   #3
mboverst
"TRF" Member

One of the better posts I've read! That's determination!
mboverst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 12:19 PM   #4
D. Whitman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreambaby View Post
Excellent first thread, Dick! Glad to see you finally found your grail
Thanks Carl. I'll miss the GMT, but I'm sure I'll one day I'll end up with an SS model.
Old 24 July 2011, 12:21 PM   #5
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
Be careful. AP is so addicted . :)
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 12:22 PM   #6
D. Whitman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboverst View Post
One of the better posts I've read! That's determination!
Thanks! Never say die!
Old 24 July 2011, 12:32 PM   #7
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Stunning.

Great read by the way and a fantastic story.

Congrats on getting your grail, great choice.

Now all you need to do is join the AP group on this forum.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Great story. Enjoy the new watch!
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Good work Dick.

Enjoy wearing it.

It will take me time to accept the flipping of a GMT TTc for a ROO.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 01:21 PM   #10
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Nice visiting with you Dick.

And remember its ALL a journey; and one you can be happy with; congratulations & wear it, for it is the best of times ~ !

Randy

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 02:09 PM   #11
chicagofan
"TRF" Member

Congrats. Great AP and a great story to go with it.
chicagofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 03:05 PM   #12
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Fantastic story... great determination and will for getting the proper watch for you! I do like the AP ROO... it's something I enjoyed trying out at a local Chicago AD. I prefer the bracelet on myself - partially because the strap's buckle lies in an off-kilt manner to me... does it do the same for you?

I must say, more impressive than your willpower in getting the Panda, your wife must be one very patient woman... to go with you not once, but twice around to different ADs located remote from your home to get a watch.

My wife wouldn't even step into my AD and would rather stay in the car!

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 03:16 PM   #13
D. Whitman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_V View Post
Fantastic story... great determination and will for getting the proper watch for you! I do like the AP ROO... it's something I enjoyed trying out at a local Chicago AD. I prefer the bracelet on myself - partially because the strap's buckle lies in an off-kilt manner to me... does it do the same for you?

I must say, more impressive than your willpower in getting the Panda, your wife must be one very patient woman... to go with you not once, but twice around to different ADs located remote from your home to get a watch.

My wife wouldn't even step into my AD and would rather stay in the car!
Yeah. My wife's an angel. The deployant buckle doesn't really bother me if I wear it a bit looser than I'm used to. I am considering an after market deployant. I think that would do the trick. Overall it's a fantasic watch and I have no complaints. Thanks for the nice words.
Old 24 July 2011, 04:02 PM   #14
wisguy
"TRF" Member

The Panda on a strap is my favorite AP, well done.
Old 24 July 2011, 04:25 PM   #15
D. Whitman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisguy View Post
The Panda on a strap is my favorite AP, well done.
Couldn't agree more. I always thought I was a steel bracelet guy until I saw this horn back crock strap. It just makes the look for me. I would like to get an AP bracelet for my ROO down the road for a nice change up, but this strap really sold me.
Old 24 July 2011, 04:43 PM   #16
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Fantastic story

The Panda was the one that started my love for the brand, and it's still one of my all time favorite AP

I also would like to welcome you to the AP owners club

http://www.rolexforums.com/group.php?groupid=44

Thomas

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 05:34 PM   #17
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Great story!! Big congrats for your grail
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 05:50 PM   #18
kctt
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver/SD/GMTIIc
Your Panda looks spectacular. Good things come to those with patience and determination... Wear it well and wear it in good health!

IG: @idighorology
kctt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 06:48 PM   #19
arezzo66
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Heritage Chr
Thats a great story and a good looking watch too, wear it in health.

S
arezzo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 07:40 PM   #20
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
My Panda and my Volcano say's welcome to the club
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1713.JPG (137.2 KB, 447 views)

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2011, 02:11 AM   #21
onkyo
Banned

It was such a pleasure reading your story ..... with a great happy ending.

You watch is absolutely stunning in every way.

Big congrats!!!!
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2011, 02:19 AM   #22
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Now that i re-red your story, i think that your GRAIL is your wife and not the PANDA.

Imagine having to do all these and also kept hidden from your wife !!!!!!!!!
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2011, 02:30 AM   #23
Kanger
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
One of the best threads I've read on TRF without a doubt!
Kanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2011, 02:49 AM   #24
D. Whitman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanger View Post
One of the best threads I've read on TRF without a doubt!
Thanks Daniel. I appreciate the positive feedback.

Thanks everyone for your support. TRF really is the best!
Old 25 July 2011, 03:21 AM   #25
liptonnr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-c LV, GMT's
Great story sir! Congrats on your panda! Wear it in good health!
liptonnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2011, 02:29 AM   #26
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Great story! I really enjoyed reading that. Congrats on the AP! I'd love to join that club someday.
Old 26 July 2011, 06:18 AM   #27
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

awesome congrats on the AP. My favorite ROO by far!
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2011, 06:41 AM   #28
jefstathiou
"TRF" Member

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing and congratulations on the Roo. Just so happens to be my grail as well. Wear it in good health!
jefstathiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2011, 08:30 AM   #29
Bulliondesk
Banned

Great story Dick and congratulations on the beautiful Panda!

But.. wouldn't it have been easier just to check out TZ, Watchnet, or a Dealer/AD online instead of the hassle and time you spent driving to and from all the AD's and Tourneau? Just a thought..
Bulliondesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2011, 10:09 AM   #30
D. Whitman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulliondesk View Post
Great story Dick and congratulations on the beautiful Panda!

But.. wouldn't it have been easier just to check out TZ, Watchnet, or a Dealer/AD online instead of the hassle and time you spent driving to and from all the AD's and Tourneau? Just a thought..
Thanks.

I suppose it would have been easier, but it wouldn't have been nearly as fun. We had a blast and didn't think of the adventure as a hassle. I got to try on all of those APs, plus my wife and I had lunch by the ocean in La Jolla, partied on Mission Beach, and took downtown San Diego by storm. Some great memories associate with my watch.

By the way, really nice Grand Prix you have there! Did you get that at TZ, Watchnet, or a dealer online?